Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Washington DC Recommendations

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Washington DC Recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author

honavery

All the Smithsonian museums are fantastic. I personally really like the natural history and air and space ones.

Hitting the monuments at night is pretty cool too.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

I third Alexandria; if you do head over that way, there’s also Mt. Vernon, which your son may enjoy.

gk

The Holocaust Museum is definitely worth visiting, along with the Vietnam Memorial.

AmyJ
    Participant

We’re going to be staying in Old Town Alexandria, so I’m glad to hear it has its charms as well. I cheesed out and bought the hop-on/hop-off trolley tour pass since I figured it’d be an easy and cheap way to get around to all the monuments/museums, plus the bonus of Carson getting to ride on top of a double-decker bus. I think it makes 19 stops around the city.

He’s really into the Chinatown idea. Any recommendation in that area for food/sights?

So far I know we’re hitting the following:
    – American History Museum
    – food at Museum of the American Indian (thanks for the rec!)
    – National Building Museum (he’ll die over the LEGO exhibit)
    – Newseum (it’s part of some discount thing I bought)
    – National Zoo
    – all the monuments, even if it’s just a quick driveby on the trolley
    – Duck Tour (again, part of a discount thing I bought)
    – Chinatown

I’m jotting down all the restaurant recs too, so please keep them coming. My kiddo has a pretty adventurous palate, so he’s up for all sorts of ethnic eats (Asian foods are his fave including sushi).

AmyJ
    Participant

Oops — add in Spy Museum and Holocaust Museum as well. He’s recently into WWII so I think he’ll be really interested in that.

berdawn

OH, the newseum is supposed to be fantastic! plz let me know if you like it. I have a friend who is a journalist and she thinks it’s one of the coolest things ever.

honavery

AmyJ wrote >>
    Oops — add in Spy Museum and Holocaust Museum as well. He’s recently into WWII so I think he’ll be really interested in that.

One thing to keep in mind, the Spy Museum is a little pricey to get in to. $18 for 12 and up and $15 for kids.

AmyJ
    Participant

honavery wrote >>

AmyJ wrote >>

One thing to keep in mind, the Spy Museum is a little pricey to get in to. $18 for 12 and up and $15 for kids.

I bought one of those PowerPass things which includes the Spy Museum, Duck Tour, Newseum, Old Town Trolley Tour, Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour among a bunch of other less exciting museums and discounts. I’m guess it’ll work out to be about equal to what we would have paid out of pocket, but it’s kind of convenient to have the pass in hand and plan around that.

bzarcher
    Participant

It’s busy, and it’s cash only, but Ben’s Chili Bowl was really good. :) If you go to U Street, the African American Civil War museum is also right there, and I thought it was a really interesting stop. No fee to go into the museum (it’s very small, and relies on donations), but the guys running it were very passionate and willing to spend time talking to you and explaining various exhibits.

The WWII memorial is beautiful and worth going to go see, as well. You can probably eat up most of an afternoon walking the mall between the Vietnam, Korea, WWI, and WWII memorials, with stops at the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument.

On other thing I’d suggest, if you haven’t already, is to buy a metro card and use it to get around downtown. It made my last trip a LOT easier than trying to drive.

Last but not least, if you or your son likes baseball, Nationals Park is gorgeous, and you can get bleacher seats for $10-15.

DCist

for Chinatown, Matchbox is a MUST, and zaytinia is always amazing, but pricey. Maybe try Zengo and Oya while there, Oya is really cute! I think you’d like Matchbox the best, its casual, but fantastic and a lot of character and interesting menu items.

Full Kee for Asian
    Corduroy for a fancy dinner
    La Tasca for Spanish

Up by the Zoo there is a place called Ping Pong, its a good pizza place, and youre son would love it!

AmyJ
    Participant

We were overwhelmed with museums and sightseeing and totally missed out on tasty food. We managed to check everything off our sightseeing list which is pretty impressive considering we ditched the trolley and walked all of Monday. My legs feel like they may fall off, but we had a great time!

BCNation
    Participant

Glad to hear that you had a great time!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Wanted to bump this up! Anne & I are planning a trip soon and looking for fun things to do, places to check out, museums, neighborhoods, shops, restaurants, bars, nightlife, etc. :D

juliana
    Participant

I’d recommend any of the restaurants or bars around the H-Street Corridor. I visited a couple of weeks ago and ate at Smith Commons and Granville Moore’s. The neighborhood itself is changing a lot and it could be an interesting stop. There are plans for a trolley there at some point, too, which may be worth investigating.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We are going in a few weeks too, with another family. The Pig[/url] is definitely on my radar.
    My boys are 6 & 11 and the neighbor’s daughter is 12. There is some kinda pop culture Smithsonian that should provide some common ground for them, but I’m unable to googlize it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: