Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Was the JR Miggs building Demolished?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Was the JR Miggs building Demolished?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Cyclist

Riding down Neil on my way to work today, I noticed a swath of mud between two building where I am pretty sure JR Miggs used to be. Did it get demoed? and if so, has there been any plans for the canyon like site?

blammo
    Participant

Cyclist wrote Riding down Neil on my way to work today, I noticed a swath of mud between two building where I am pretty sure JR Miggs used to be. Did it get demoed? and if so, has there been any plans for the canyon like site?

I saw them ripping it down 2 weeks ago. It’s a shame, I liked that shithole of a bar. Cheap & cozy, it’s hard to make a new build have that kind of environment. I have no idea of the plans for the space though.

gramarye
    Participant

blammo wrote

Cyclist wrote Riding down Neil on my way to work today, I noticed a swath of mud between two building where I am pretty sure JR Miggs used to be. Did it get demoed? and if so, has there been any plans for the canyon like site?

I saw them ripping it down 2 weeks ago. It’s a shame, I liked that shithole of a bar. Cheap & cozy, it’s hard to make a new build have that kind of environment. I have no idea of the plans for the space though.

NOOO!

Man, that was one of my favorite places on campus that it seemed no one knew about (which perhaps explains part of their problems …). I wonder what’s going in there that made ripping the whole building down worthwhile. Hopefully not just the CVS expanding.

Cyclist

blammo wrote

Never went there, but it looked like a place I would go. Did it go out of business or did OSU want it gone?

Tell us more about it Blammo!

heresthecasey
    Participant

The bar had been closed for some time and the building had been vacant, just noticed the demo when i was on a CABS bus down that way last week. Probably the university looking to expand with another building if i had my guess, ….

Cyclist

Yeah, that place had to have been closed for well over a year. I hope they fill it in well and not do something stupid like a grassy strip of driveway. Its not very wide though. Maybe 20-25 feet wide.
    View Larger Map

This place also exhibited a building style that might be unique to Columbus: The commercial front with big house rear. There are a handful on High St too. Scroll up on the map a block or two.

View Larger Map

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

A few years ago (after it closed) I heard the guy who owned it had died and his family did not want to continue the business. Like others have said, it’s been closed for 2 years or so.

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

I saw it right before they tore it down and I believe it had been damaged by a fire recently.

Cookie

vestanpance wrote A few years ago (after it closed) I heard the guy who owned it had died and his family did not want to continue the business. Like others have said, it’s been closed for 2 years or so.

I’m assuming you mean the guy who owned the building? Because the guy who owned JR Migg’s was alive when it closed.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

That is a suck. I used to like that place. :(

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Cookie wrote

vestanpance wrote A few years ago (after it closed) I heard the guy who owned it had died and his family did not want to continue the business. Like others have said, it’s been closed for 2 years or so.

I’m assuming you mean the guy who owned the building? Because the guy who owned JR Migg’s was alive when it closed.

I was told the guy who owned JR Miggs. Must have been bad info.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Anyone know what is going up in this spot? I drive past it almost every day and in the last week a lot of construction has been going on. They seem to be building some cinder block pillars in the front from what I can tell.

anyone?

dru
    Participant

vestanpance wrote >>
    Anyone know what is going up in this spot? I drive past it almost every day and in the last week a lot of construction has been going on. They seem to be building some cinder block pillars in the front from what I can tell.
    anyone?

and a year + later, the answer is Bruegger’s Bagels. Signage was going up today.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

dru wrote >>

vestanpance wrote >>
    anyone?

and a year + later, the answer is Bruegger’s Bagels. Signage was going up today.

ya I just saw that on saturday. I actually like Bruegger’s so it’s not a great thing.. but a good thing IMO.

That strip on Neil could have used a bar. There’s already fast food in the form of Jimmy John’s and a breakfast spot, Hang Over Easy, but nowhere to head out to at night for an alternative to High St.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: