Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

WalMart is "Going Urban" with New Stores

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping WalMart is “Going Urban” with New Stores

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 269 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

So my making fun of silly looking people knows no bounds? Interesting.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    Walmart is like so unaesthetic and shit, I can’t stand their style, it’s like hideous and junk.
    Who wants to meet for a java at Northstar? I can’t find my new Toms though, bummer!

That’s a big lol coming from one of the biggest style whores I know… :)
    Liking or disliking a store’s personal style doesn’t necessarily have shit to do with how much it costs unless you’re just a superficial label chaser. I’d chose Ikea style over Pottery Barn any day of the week. I’d rather have dinner on the patio at Tip Top than at the Refectory. I’d rather shop at Target than at Sak’s. I also buy almost 100% organic produce, local meat, snowville dairy, and pay $4/dozen for eggs. Who even gives a fuck? Shop at places that match your vibe and how much cash you have in your wallet. Ain’t any more complicated than that.

Bear
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

rus wrote >>
    Because the only people who look down on others based on class are over 35 advanced degree holders?

Because income is correlated with age and education

Income, but not class snobbery perhaps.

“most of the people opposing Wal-Mart are the people who have the luxury of looking down at the less well-off.”
    but not because of their income.
    got it.

Don’t get your posters confused.

I wasn’t. Just reminding him of the argument he was trying to defend.

Bear
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

rus wrote >>
    Because the only people who look down on others based on class are over 35 advanced degree holders?

“most of the people opposing Wal-Mart are the people who have the luxury of looking down at the less well-off.”
    got it.

Bear
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

rus wrote >>

got it.

misskitty
    Participant

I don’t think the censorship issue is much to be pissed about if you don’t like what they sell shop somewhere else. It’s Their store they can sell what they want. Also if an artist re-records or censors their own music just to sell it to WalMart Fuck em anyway .It’s worth noting that I have had Movies from the Public library censored before.

Daz
    Participant

My first job was working for McDonalds from 1997-2001. During the first year of that time, I worked at a McDs that was INSIDE of a Wal-Mart.

Since then, I haven’t been able to stomach the place, but I don’t have to. I don’t have a group of kids that I have to fill will with baby foods and cover with diapers. I don’t struggle to make ends meet.

If I’m in need of bulk purchases, I’ll head to a Costco instead of a Sam’s Club, but that’s because I grew up around Costco, and I know they pay upwards of $17/hr to their employees that have been around for a while. I’ve also met their CEO and he was a really good dude.

If I need just general cheap shit, I normally go to Target. Admittedly, it’s aesthetics that draw me there. The prices and quality are the same as Wal-Mart, and I don’t get that overly sterile feeling when I walk inside of hard white fluorescent lights shining and that steady “beep” sound. I also don’t get jarred with memories of shitty parents leaving their kids inside the place I’m working so the kids can smear their cheeseburger insides all over the tables I just cleaned. Yes, I did call security. No, they didn’t want to deal with it.

Daz
    Participant

My first job was working for McDonalds from 1997-2001. During the first year of that time, I worked at a McDs that was INSIDE of a Wal-Mart.

Since then, I haven’t been able to stomach the place, but I don’t have to. I don’t have a group of kids that I have to fill will with baby foods and cover with diapers. I don’t struggle to make ends meet.

If I’m in need of bulk purchases, I’ll head to a Costco instead of a Sam’s Club, but that’s because I grew up around Costco, and I know they pay upwards of $17/hr to their employees that have been around for a while. I’ve also met their CEO and he was a really good dude.

If I need just general cheap shit, I normally go to Target. Admittedly, it’s aesthetics that draw me there. The prices and quality are the same as Wal-Mart, and I don’t get that overly sterile feeling when I walk inside of hard white fluorescent lights shining and that steady “beep” sound. I also don’t get jarred with memories of shitty parents leaving their kids inside the place I’m working so the kids can smear their cheeseburger insides all over the tables I just cleaned. Yes, I did call security. No, they didn’t want to deal with it.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

gramarye wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

rus wrote >>

got it.

How would the children of a over 40 advanced degree holder show up on alexia?

manticore33
    Participant

Honestly, Wal-Mart would not be so big today if it was not for the people that patronize the store. WE, the CONSUMERS, made Wal-Mart the giant it is today. And to be honest, most people shop on cost opposed to quality. I prefer quality, thus I purchase most of my stuff second hand (which is really cool because it goes directly to a person, not a company most of the time).

All large-companies at some point in history where small. Think about Wal-Mart, Meijer, Kroger, Starbucks, McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Nationwide, Chase, etc, etc were a single location small store/restaurant/retailer. They did what every enterprise wants to do, GROW AND EXPAND MARKET SHARE (how many local businesses are on CU????).

Look at Jeni’s ice cream, she is expanding locations throughout the city. At what point will see become an evil purveyor of ice cream like Dairy Queen? Or how many retailers moved from the North Market to grow and expand?

Essentially, there is no reason for this discussion/fight. If you want to shop elsewhere, do so. Wal-Mart is successful because we want them to be successful. If anything, Wal-Mart allows for the growth in limited service boutique stores to revitalize old towns who can carry more specific inventories.

Now, I do take issue with the large-scale footprint of the stores because I just do not like large, large stores. Thus, now that Delaware has an Aldi, I shop there. :)

Tenzo
    Participant

1) If you don’t like what walmart sells, don’t buy it. It’s not like it’s the only place in town.
    2) A store is free to sell whatever it wants, in any form. You think that is wrong, then sell it in your store in the format you want.

That is kind of the way a free market economy works. And in the end, it provides people with what they want.

Bear
    Participant

rus wrote >>

I’ll make it easy for you — just go on believing what you want to believe. Just don’t mistake it for the truth.

berdawn

Tenzo wrote >>
    1) If you don’t like what walmart sells, don’t buy it. It’s not like it’s the only place in town.

except those towns where it is.

gramarye
    Participant

manticore33 wrote >>
    All large-companies at some point in history where small. Think about Wal-Mart, Meijer, Kroger, Starbucks, McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Nationwide, Chase, etc, etc were a single location small store/restaurant/retailer. They did what every enterprise wants to do, GROW AND EXPAND MARKET SHARE (how many local businesses are on CU????).
    Look at Jeni’s ice cream, she is expanding locations throughout the city. At what point will see become an evil purveyor of ice cream like Dairy Queen? Or how many retailers moved from the North Market to grow and expand?

I’ve raised this issue at several points in the past, too. Jeni’s has been expanding rapidly, and I say *good* … I can now get her products in Akron, which I couldn’t until just a few months ago. If she opened a parlor here, I’d be the last person saying “down with chains!” and the first person trying to gather as many people from my office to try it out (and hopefully get them hooked, feeding the rapacious capitalist machine that is Jeni’s and the rapacious ice-cream eating monster that is, well, me). Bricco is another restaurant up here that is becoming a chain, and I say good for them. At some point, Liz Lessner will be Cameron Mitchell, Tigertree will be American Apparel (or some other quirky clothing retailer), and Bill and Peggy will be Pizza Hut, and we’ll all have to start hating on them, too.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

rus wrote >>

I’ll make it easy for you — just go on believing what you want to believe. Just don’t mistake it for the truth.

You want to pretend snobbery has nothing to do with dislike of Wal-Mart when places like target, which have similar labor policies and marketing strategies, are given a pass you go right ahead.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 269 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: