Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

WalMart is "Going Urban" with New Stores

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping WalMart is “Going Urban” with New Stores

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 269 total)
  • Author

Core_Models

Klablut wrote >>
    Walmart costs American jobs and gives us crappy Chinese goods.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/view/

Again…you’re talking government policy as much as anything. You do realize that companies are still tax incentived to move their production out of the US? Companies aren’t moving production jobs out of the US so they can sell their stuff at rock bottom Walmart prices, that association is not worthy of a show like Frontline. As far as those American jobs, they also provide over 1 million of them. Here. In the US.

BTW, a bit more of note on your RCA plant in Circleville featured there…

They made glass tubes for TVs…glass…tubes. You bought a TV with a glass tube in it recently?

I’m sure the people worried about getting cancer from that site aren’t that worried about the job loss…
    http://www.epa.ohio.gov/cdo/rca.aspx

Klablut

With close to two million employees worldwide, Wal-Mart has faced a torrent of lawsuits and issues with regards to its workforce. These issues involve low wages, poor working conditions, inadequate health care, as well as issues involving the company’s strong anti-union policies. Critics point to Wal-Mart’s high turnover rate as evidence of an unhappy workforce, although other factors may be involved. Approximately 70% of its employees leave within the first year.

Core_Models

Klablut wrote >>
    With close to two million employees worldwide, Wal-Mart has faced a torrent of lawsuits and issues with regards to its workforce. These issues involve low wages, poor working conditions, inadequate health care, as well as issues involving the company’s strong anti-union policies. Critics point to Wal-Mart’s high turnover rate as evidence of an unhappy workforce, although other factors may be involved. Approximately 70% of its employees leave within the first year.

1. If you’re going to cut and paste, provide the link as well.

2. They pay at least minimum wage…if you have an issue with minimum wage, take it up with the government, not Wal-mart. They oppose unions…that seems to be their political right in America, no? They have a high turnover? So does every fast food job, grocery store job, etc. etc. etc. in America but you don’t see them all hated. Hell, Teleperformance probably has a higher turnover rate than that and I bet more than half the readers of this website worked there.

I love the term “unhappy work force”. So let me be clear, you have no real skills or education to get a job somewhere else and Wal-mart is your best option…and you’re unhappy. Imagine that.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Core_Models wrote >>
    people like working at Wal Mart. They employ something like 1.5 million people worldwide.

I think that’s a bit of a stretch to say that people like working there just because a lot of people work there. ;)

I worked there as a teenager, but I didn’t really like it. ;)

Core_Models

Walker wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>
    people like working at Wal Mart. They employ something like 1.5 million people worldwide.

I think that’s a bit of a stretch to say that people like working there just because a lot of people work there. ;)
    I worked there as a teenager, but I didn’t really like it. ;)

How about people like buying stuff with the money they earn there?

somertimeoh
    Participant

Cite?

Unskilled labor = high turnover. When you’re making $8 and your manager looks at you the wrong way or asks you to clean a toilet, you quit and move on to the next $8 an hour job. Why is this surprising?

gramarye
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

Klablut wrote >>

1. If you’re going to cut and paste, provide the link as well.
    2. They pay at least minimum wage…if you have an issue with minimum wage, take it up with the government, not Wal-mart. They oppose unions…that seems to be their political right in America, no? They have a high turnover? So does every fast food job, grocery store job, etc. etc. etc. in America but you don’t see them all hated. Hell, Teleperformance probably has a higher turnover rate than that and I bet more than half the readers of this website worked there.
    I love the term “unhappy work force”. So let me be clear, you have no real skills or education to get a job somewhere else and Wal-mart is your best option…and you’re unhappy. Imagine that.

In many places, they pay well above the minimum wage.

The fact is that turnover in the entire retail sector is above average, and most people who go to work at Wal-Mart have no intention of making a lifelong career of it, so of course their turnover will be higher. I consider that a good thing; in fact, I consider the sadder story to be someone who’s worked the floor at Wal-Mart for a decade or longer.

Core_Models

I get so irritated by all this for one simple reason.

A bunch of college educated professionals hate on Wal-Mart and feel like some friend to the working man and hero of the downtrodden in the process, IMO.

You know who a hero to the downtrodden is? A company that employs a million Americans, most of whom are unskilled and uneducated, helps them put food on the table every night, buy their kids schools supplies, and put gas in their used car so they can get back to their job the next day. You think they should get paid more? Fine, open up a company and pay them more. You think they should have better benefits? Start hiring a bunch of GED educated workers with no practical experience at your place of business and offer it. Until you do, go laugh at people of walmart on your I-Phone on your way to your IT job so you can pay off your 50k in school loans that most people would consider stuff from another planet.

I hope for all of our sakes that Evil Mart doesn’t make it anywhere near downtown Columbus. Ever.

But if they do, I sure hope that they give out free samples in the booze aisle like they do at some of their Mexico locations.

Klablut

Core_Models wrote >>

Klablut wrote >>

Again…you’re talking government policy as much as anything. You do realize that companies are still tax incentived to move their production out of the US? Companies aren’t moving production jobs out of the US so they can sell their stuff at rock bottom Walmart prices, that association is not worthy of a show like Frontline. As far as those American jobs, they also provide over 1 million of them. Here. In the US.
    They made glass tubes for TVs…glass…tubes. You bought a TV with a glass tube in it recently?
    I’m sure the people worried about getting cancer from that site aren’t that worried about the job loss…

Oh yes – cancer rates. Sure have not heard about any cheap products coming from China resulting in cancer recently.

http://www.unmadeinchina.org/contStd.asp?lang=en&idPag=33

Walmart Selling ‘Toxic’ China Made Pet Toys

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/07/china-cancer-villages-industrial-pollution

Core_Models

Klablut wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

Klablut wrote >>

Oh yes – cancer rates. Sure have not heard about any cheap products coming from China resulting in cancer recently.
    http://www.unmadeinchina.org/contStd.asp?lang=en&idPag=33
    http://fortheloveofthedogblog.com/news-updates/walmart-selling-toxic-china-made-pet-toys
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/07/china-cancer-villages-industrial-pollution

Wal-Mart also killed JFK.

gramarye
    Participant

I think at this point, “life” gives you cancer.

Core +1.

Hating on Wal-Mart is like one-stop shopping for urban snobs looking to get their hate on: They get to hate on corporate power, suburban sprawl, and blue-collar America at the same time.

Core_Models

sugarplumclarey wrote >>
    I hope for all of our sakes that Evil Mart doesn’t make it anywhere near downtown Columbus. Ever.
    But if they do, I sure hope that they give out free samples in the booze aisle like they do at some of their Mexico locations.

LOL! Lemme tell you something, if Weilands was legally allowed to put free samples of Oyo Vodka in their store and did so, there’d be 58 posts about their awesomeness on this very site.

rus
    rus
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>
    I think at this point, “life” gives you cancer.
    Core +1.
    Hating on Wal-Mart is like one-stop shopping for urban snobs looking to get their hate on: They get to hate on corporate power, suburban sprawl, and blue-collar America at the same time.

/thread

KSquared

Core_Models wrote >>

sugarplumclarey wrote >>

LOL! Lemme tell you something, if Weilands was legally allowed to put free samples of Oyo Vodka in their store and did so, there’d be 58 posts about their awesomeness on this very site.

I’d settle for free samples at Trader Joe’s :)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 269 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION