Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

WalMart is "Going Urban" with New Stores

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping WalMart is “Going Urban” with New Stores

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 269 total)
  • Author

somertimeoh
    Participant

Doesn’t seem like any big box is really beating down the doors to get in to downtown Columbus right now, so all this I’d rather have _____ over _____ seems silly (even though I admit to saying it myself a few times when I thought things might be different).

When was the last time you saw a mom and pop clothing store downtown or anywhere for that matter? I’m not talking high end boutique stuff, a la TT or those fancy denim places. I’m talking a place to take your kids to get school clothes or a pair of jeans you can wash and not cry. Why isn’t everyone lining up outside of Les Wexner’s house asking for heads to roll. Psssst, I think most of that shit comes from China too. What about Best Buy and all the locally owned electronic stores that no longer exist? Pretty sure we’re looking at China there too. Or Home Depot that took out everyone but Zettler’s (though I bet most of his inventory isn’t made in the USA either!!). How do you make one evil in your head, but not the rest?

I honestly believe this argument has about 10% to do with some sort of moral code and 90% to do with not wanting to mingle with the mullets and house shoes worn in public.

somertimeoh
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>
    Pretty sure the bottom picture is inside the Wal-Mart. I recognize the font, though not well enough to identify it by name and proceed to deride it as amateurish.

haha, as long as it’s not papyrus I thought we were all good ;)

JoeMitchell

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Doesn’t seem like any big box is really beating down the doors to get in to downtown Columbus right now, so all this I’d rather have _____ over _____ seems silly (even though I admit to saying it myself a few times when I thought things might be different).
    When was the last time you saw a mom and pop clothing store downtown or anywhere for that matter? I’m not talking high end boutique stuff, a la TT or those fancy denim places. I’m talking a place to take your kids to get school clothes or a pair of jeans you can wash and not cry. Why isn’t everyone lining up outside of Les Wexner’s house asking for heads to roll. Psssst, I think most of that shit comes from China too. What about Best Buy and all the locally owned electronic stores that no longer exist? Pretty sure we’re looking at China there too. Or Home Depot that took out everyone but Zettler’s (though I bet most of his inventory isn’t made in the USA either!!). How do you make one evil in your head, but not the rest?
    I honestly believe this argument has about 10% to do with some sort of moral code and 90% to do with not wanting to mingle with the mullets and house shoes worn in public.

ding, ding, ding; winner winner chicken dinner

gramarye
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>

That would be a justification for why someone would make the personal choice not to shop at Wal-Mart. It makes no sense at all as a justification for trying to drive Wal-Mart away entirely. Someone like that should want a Wal-Mart around so that the unwashed masses have somewhere else to shop while the enlightened urbanite pays the hefty premium to shop at Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s and Williams-Sonoma.

Maybe they just don’t want that kind of person in their neighborhood at all.

gramarye
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>

gramarye wrote >>
    Pretty sure the bottom picture is inside the Wal-Mart. I recognize the font, though not well enough to identify it by name and proceed to deride it as amateurish.

haha, as long as it’s not papyrus I thought we were all good ;)

Could be Comic Sans, too.

Also, in the Wal-Mart, there’s a lot more open space–the aisles and the spacings between the displays are wider because they anticipate a higher sustained volume of foot traffic. I can’t see how wide the aisle is on the top one, obviously, but the spacing between the displays and the bakery/deli counters along the walls is fairly wide on the bottom one.

somertimeoh
    Participant

You’re such a lawyer!! ;)

ETA: Wider aisles is a selling point for new Whole Foods locations. Just sayin’, lol.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Coy wrote >>
    Walmart has pushed out a ton of small business around the country, monopolized their locations with an overabundance of chinese junk, then turned around and paid the workers a lousy wage.
    They do their most damage in rural areas.

That doesn’t necessarily mean that they’d have the same effect with a very different store model in an urban environment. I think it would at least be worth considering/studying.

somertimeoh wrote >>

Right, and that wasn’t really my point with starting this thread. I do however think that if Walmart *is* currently beating down the doors to get into urban Chicago, then Columbus may be as close as 5 years down the road. Just something to think about.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Oh I’m with ya, and I think everyone (hopefully?) would agree that if Wal-Mart were to come, that pretty rendering would be way better than the typical design :)

CheeseFoodie
    Participant

I wouldn’t consider Trader Joe’s to be a “hefty premium” place, I shop there because of the quality and the low prices. Williams-Sonoma? I guess they do have some food-stuffs but not sure that’s a good “shopping” fit for the “enlightened urbanites”. And yes, not a ton of any types of stores looking to open a new joint downtown, but Grandview Yard, Parsons, Westland area, maybe.

JoeMitchell

Coy wrote >>
    Uhg. I just threw up a little bit.
    Walmart has pushed out a ton of small business around the country, monopolized their locations with an overabundance of chinese junk, then turned around and paid the workers a lousy wage.
    They do their most damage in rural areas.
    I one played a gig way down in West Virginia, and we passed a Walmart… not TWO MILES down the road… ANOTHER WALMART. And there was nothing else around but empty shells of buildings where a small downtown used to be.
    My bandmates have similar stories about rural southern Ohio and how the Walmart moved in and the town was a mess a couple of years later.
    My last experience with Walmart was a single purchase of tires for my truck.
    I hadn’t bought anything from the big W for a LONG time, and I figured, whet the heck, its tires right?
    I went to the one in Reynoldsburg and they didn’t balance them right. Next day, I went to the one on Morse Rd (by my work) and they told me they wouldn’t balance them.. (bad hillbilly drawl) “well, you didn’t buy them HERE now did you…”.
    I ended up having to drive the 20 miles to the original store to get it fixed.
    I tried dealing with store management, and they were the most evasive and ignorant bunch of losers I have ever dealt with… They don’t give an eff… they’re WALMART.
    I will NEVER, EVER go back.
    Now, there are plenty of good folks working for Walmart, but how long is the cheap junk gonna flow, really? When it finally hits the fan, the bigger we allow this weed to get, the more its gonna leave a mess in its wake.
    Is it smart to teach our people to constantly consume large amounts of low cost (due to chinese workers and their lousy pay/conditions) goods as a benefit for being American?
    If we didn’t have such a thirst for cheap crap, then maybe we’d still have manufacturing work in this country.
    How bout we pay more for something made well BY Americans, so they can afford to shop somewhere else?
    No Walmart downtown!
    Get me a Trader Joe’s instead!
    THAT’s a company that treats its people right!

I would never let Walmart touch my car. Tires are fairly critical to a car’s performance/safety, but most people have the mindset “it’s just tires”, which besides brakes are only the most important part. One can actually get a better deal by ordering online and having them shipped to your local tech shop. If you have to get tires immediately DiscountTire I believe has the highest rating amongst the corporate/franchise tire shops.

I would never purchase a Walmart service, hope you didn’t have them change fluids.

But if there is a better place to buy cat litter, toothpaste, hula hoop, bubbles, barbies, bbq tongs, charcoal, lawn fertilizer, automotive oil, (not filters however and change it yourself), tampons, toilet paper, laundry detergent, swimming diapers, batteries, and a replacement mop head at 05:30 please advise.

If I ever need a little kick in the pants, a boost in self esteem, some personal motivation, I take a stroll through Walmart, works like a charm.

gramarye
    Participant

I can’t recall ever getting any kind of service at Wal-Mart (automotive or otherwise), either. I don’t think that would be their forte.

For the kind of general consumer goods you listed off, though, I’m right there with you.

Core_Models

I hate the Walmart hate. So over it.

They pay their employees according to minimum federal guidelines at least, no? Then sounds like you have a complaint with those guidelines, not Walmart.

They fight to buy from suppliers at the lowest price possible, and use their size and power to do it? Wow…shocking…that you didn’t realize every company on earth tries to do this.

They attempt to discourage people from buying at their competitors and, in fact, often put those competitors out of business through offering same or similar items at a lower price or greater convenience? I’m curious what business you are in that you think this is a bad idea…

Get over it…people like shopping at Wal Mart, they did what 300 billion in sales last year?…people like working at Wal Mart. They employ something like 1.5 million people worldwide.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    I hate the Walmart hate. So over it.
    They pay their employees according to minimum federal guidelines at least, no? Then sounds like you have a complaint with those guidelines, not Walmart.
    They fight to buy from suppliers at the lowest price possible, and use their size and power to do it? Wow…shocking…that you didn’t realize every company on earth tries to do this.
    They attempt to discourage people from buying at their competitors and, in fact, often put those competitors out of business through offering same or similar items at a lower price or greater convenience? I’m curious what business you are in that you think this is a bad idea…
    Get over it…people like shopping at Wal Mart, they did what 300 billion in sales last year?…people like working at Wal Mart. They employ something like 1.5 million people worldwide.

Heck, even if you hate wallyworld with an intense burning passion you should want one near by. It’s a mullet and mumu magnet, right? Those people will go to wal mart where you’ll never have to see them.

Core_Models

heh…I do find it interesting that so many of the same people who are outraged by Walmart’s treatment of its employees or corporate culture are also amused by sites like people of Walmart…

Klablut

Walmart costs American jobs and gives us crappy Chinese goods.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/view/

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 269 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: