Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

WalMart is "Going Urban" with New Stores

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping WalMart is “Going Urban” with New Stores

Viewing 14 posts - 256 through 269 (of 269 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I think there are many neighborhoods in Columbus that would be open to the possibility of a Wal-Mart. Some neighborhoods (including the ones that I gather are nearest and dearest to the hearts of many on these boards) might be less welcoming, but I doubt that Wal-Mart would be looking for space on High Street in the Short North, anyway.

If urban Columbus gets a Wal-Mart anytime soon, it’s going to land in a spot like the Timken Site and it’s going to be more suburban in design than urban.

Achekov
    Participant

Walmart sells exactly what people downtown want to buy. Everything. Now maybe some folks don’t like their particular brand, but people downtown will buy food, pillows, video games, toys, socks, wine, pharmacy and first aid things as well as the one million other little things that are not sold downtown, or are sold at 200% more than in the suburbs.

I buy sized-socks, mens’ 8.5-11 socks, not the “one-size fits all does not fit smaller feet” size 8-13 with the heal up my calf. We order bamboo fiber sheets on-line. Soap and shampoo etc. I get at Lucky’s, Whole foods and Costco. Pillows for the guest bed I might get at a walmart, but for throw pillows we’re talking short north or crate and barrel type place. We order lots of stuff from Lands End, Columbia Sportswear, Keen footwear. When I buy bike gear I get the good stuff, not target/walmart brands. We don’t buy Jif, Heinz Ketchup, Hot pockets or Kellog’s cereal. Not saying I never ever shop at a walk-to walmart, but it would be a relatively small portion of my shopping.

All of that is true, and coupled with the fact that Walmart is having trouble with low staffing issues, understocked shelves and long checkout lines and it sounds like a recipe for disaster to replicate in urban store settings:

http://business.time.com/2013/03/27/hey-walmart-its-hard-to-make-sales-when-store-shelves-are-empty/

Yikezees!

In one instance, a Walmart store supposedly wound up having to throw away 2,000 pounds of Halloween candy because it didn’t make it onto store shelves in time for the holiday.

I wonder how many other examples like that there are? Why didn’t they pile it big bins up front for 70% off like CVS does ?

gramarye
    Participant

That was actually the first I’d heard about Wal-Mart’s understaffing issues, and I’d be interested in finding the truth behind the report that their store managers’ bonus structure rewards keeping headcount low (even if it means other logistical breakdowns like product languishing in the back without getting stocked on shelves, or longer checkout lines even when there are plenty of registers available).

Still, I don’t think that such issues would be likely to move the needle in either direction vis-a-vis getting an urban (or regular-style) Wal-Mart anywhere in Columbus. I’m more interested in that operational issue as a shareholder, not as an armchair urban planner.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I only buy sheets hand woven by endangered spider monkeys from India.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m more interested in that operational issue as a shareholder, not as an armchair urban planner.

Google “unstocked shelves walmart” and you’ll find a flurry of stories from around a year ago when it was making a bit of a buzz in the news.

I’m not sure if the situation has improved, stayed the same, or gotten worse. I haven’t been in a Walmart in awhile. Partly because they’re all so far out of the way, and partly because I’d rather pay a slightly higher amount of money for a better big-box shopping experience at Target.

EvilAnton
    EvilAnton
    Participant

Dollars are votes. When you spend money in any store you are supporting their agenda and politics. Walmart represents a race to the bottom in terms of customer service, quality of product and ethics… to me.

Politics, and morals aside. Money is not the only quantitative factor in terms of value. The last thing I purchased from Walmart was a pack of three white t-shirts. After one wash and dry cycle, they all started to fall apart at the seems. Sure, the shirts were two dollars each. But, what’s the point if they cease to function as intended after a relatively short amount of time and use?

I have no qualms paying double the price for t-shirts that will last me ten or twenty times longer. Or anything for that matter.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”><a
    I buy sized-socks, mens’ 8.5-11 socks, not the “one-size fits all does not fit smaller feet” size 8-13 with the heal up my calf. We order bamboo fiber sheets on-line. Soap and shampoo etc. I get at Lucky’s, Whole foods and Costco. Pillows for the guest bed I might get at a walmart, but for throw pillows we’re talking short north or crate and barrel type place. We order lots of stuff from Lands End, Columbia Sportswear, Keen footwear. When I buy bike gear I get the good stuff, not target/walmart brands. We don’t buy Jif, Heinz Ketchup, Hot pockets or Kellog’s cereal. Not saying I never ever shop at a walk-to walmart, but it would be a relatively small portion of my shopping.

Well I’m guessing Mr. Fancy Pants isn’t the target demographic. Also, you’re missing out, Heinz is the pinnacle of ketchup, even Warren Buffet thinks so (http://www.businessinsider.com/warren-buffetts-berkshire-hathaway-buys-heinz-2013-2). They also make a specialty blend with malt vinegar mixed in that’s especially amazing on fries.

In all seriousness, I’ve been in some really nice Walmarts and I’ve also walked into amazingly dingy Walmarts. I shop there because of convenience, I pass by one on the way home from work, it’s great for consumables like shampoo and deodorant, packaged foods, and random stuff on your shopping list. Not so good for fresh produce, clothes, or home decor. Walmart is what it is, but if they want to stay the world’s largest retailer they’re going to have to adapt, their fear is 20 years from now people will be looking a dying company wondering what happened. Just like people are doing now with Kmart, Sears, and to some extent JC Penny.

If they want to try urban stores I say let them. The marketplace will determine if it will be successful. As long they chose their locations carefully and don’t bulldoze any historic buildings to do it, I’m alright with them trying something new.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Also, you’re missing out, Heinz is the pinnacle of ketchup, even Warren Buffet thinks so (http://www.businessinsider.com/warren-buffetts-berkshire-hathaway-buys-heinz-2013-2). They also make a specialty blend with malt vinegar mixed in that’s especially amazing on fries.

Not to further derail, but fuck yeah on the Heinz! We buy Simply Heinz (the non-HFCS kind) made with natural ingredients (tomatoes, vinegar, onion, spices). The best in terms of straight-up standard ketchup.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Kellog’s cereal

Wait, what?

What’s wrong with Rice Krispies and Raisin Bran? ;)

Achekov
    Participant

I only buy sheets hand woven by endangered spider monkeys from India.

Are they “Fair Trade” ?

Achekov
    Participant

As much as I hate Wal-fart’s vacuum effect on smaller business, this model does “look” impressive.

It’s impressive from the outside, but I’d guess once you walk in you’ll still see the exact same dollar-store type stuff.

Achekov
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>King Gambrinus wrote:</div>
    Also, you’re missing out, Heinz is the pinnacle of ketchup, even Warren Buffet thinks so (http://www.businessinsider.com/warren-buffetts-berkshire-hathaway-buys-heinz-2013-2). They also make a specialty blend with malt vinegar mixed in that’s especially amazing on fries.

Not to further derail, but fuck yeah on the Heinz! We buy Simply Heinz (the non-HFCS kind) made with natural ingredients (tomatoes, vinegar, onion, spices). The best in terms of straight-up standard ketchup.

I’ve grown fond of this stuff that they sell at Lucky’s, especially the “hint of jalapeno” version, it’s not quite as sweet as Heinz, much nicer tomato flavor. It’s just as thick but you can get it out with a spoon instead of beating on and shaking the bottle for 5 minutes. I still have packets of Heinz, like from Wendy’s, for the guests and kids:

Sir Kensington's Ketchup

Achekov
    Participant

Why do people complain about stores they don’t shop at anyways?

Maybe because they sometimes put the stores they do shop at out of business using predatory market practices.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

There were big fears a few years ago that building a new Walmart in the Carriage Place shopping center, in the old Big Bear location, would cannibalize business from the rest of the strip – maybe I haven’t kept up on the news in the northwest but I haven’t heard anything of the sort to support that the scenario has happened, everyone seems to be coexisting peacefully.

Viewing 14 posts - 256 through 269 (of 269 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: