Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

WalMart is "Going Urban" with New Stores

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping WalMart is “Going Urban” with New Stores

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 269 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>

rus wrote >>

joev wrote >>
    They should go back to calling it Kresge’s.

I kinda hope they call it S-Mart.
    Think of the marketing: “Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart!”
    Probably need some kinda whacky spokesperson though. Someone with a chin.

Muppets. All spokes-creatures should be Muppets.

Not where I was going, but I like where you’re going! :)

misskitty
    Participant

Well Wal-Mart where do I begin. I am not a fan of that place at all but it’s not because they pay their workers cheaply. No one is holding a gun to their heads and making them work there that is a choice they made. It’s not because they buy crap from China because most places do anyway.

I hate that place because I hate going to the store and I don’t like groups of people hovering around me. Going to the store is the one thing that makes me twitch I get really agitated real fast I would be the person that ends up punching some pos in the face. So I try to do the store thing when they are not busy like real late or early and I go to stores that have less people per foot.

I will say Wal-Mart most of the time trumps the competition on prices. Why would I pay 5.00 for Razors if I can get them at Wal-Mart for 2.50 ? It’s like that with many of their items and it saves a lot.
    As much as I dislike the corporate machine of doom. I have options and can choose to shop there or not. The bottom line is America likes big corporate machines I don’t know if it will ever change. We like cheap stuff and unless you can convince the majority of the population that Wal-Mart is the devil I don’t think anything will be different. You could accept America for what it is being capitalistic or move.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Will Wal-Mart be urban? Part 1: Brightwood
    by Dan Malouff • November 21, 2010

Ever since Wal-Mart announced earlier this week that they intend to build four stores in the District of Columbia, the question on the mind of urbanists has been: What will they look like?

Can Wal-Mart be fit into an urban context? Will we be getting walkable, transit oriented stores like the Columbia Heights Target, or the typical sprawly suburban model with acres of parking out front?

READ MORE: http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/8208/will-walmart-be-urban-part-1-brightwood/

DCist

As someone who has lived in DC (pre-target era too!) a walmart, especially in the NE quadrant, will only be a good thing. As it stands now, people who can barely afford bus far have to hike it to the closest CVS and pay extremely high, uncompetitive prices. As far as “urban” goes, this area is about as urban as it gets. I dont think we will see something like this in Columbus for a looooong time, its not urban enough or lacking enough of stores that are competitive for the same products (except maybe downtown, but I dont see people moving there just because they put in a walmart, there are more serious issues). I understand the downside to walmart as a company, but this will help out a lot of people.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

On a side note, I went looking for an HDMI cable this weekend and checked a bunch of stores. The cheapest cable at WalMart was $25 whereas I ordered one from Newegg for $2.99 with free shipping. Always low prices fail.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Big-Box Retailers Move To Smaller Stores In Cities
    by FRANKLYN CATER
    December 21, 2010

Retailers have been following the growth of the suburbs for decades, setting up in shopping centers and big-box strip malls far outside the core of major American cities. Department stores that stayed in big-city downtowns have suffered. Others didn’t stay — they closed up altogether.

But a reversal of that trend is becoming apparent. Big-box retailers — companies that built their discount businesses out where land was cheap and space was plentiful — are now moving inward.

Both Wal-Mart and Target are prime examples of big-box stores with big-city plans. They’re aiming at the likes of Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle and Washington, D.C.

READ MORE: http://www.npr.org/2010/12/21/132231472/big-box-retailers-move-to-smaller-stores-in-cities

cc

walmart maybe moving into the Big Apple*:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/03/new.york.walmart/index.html?hpt=Sbin#

* I know a few NYCers who are suprisingly looking forward to it. I guess the monthly commute of shame (taking the train to a Walmart in Jersey) is an institution.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Wal-Mart unveils smallest store format
    By Ylan Q. Mui, Published: June 3

Wal-Mart unveiled a blueprint for some stores this week that will be a fraction of the size of the big-box giants it helped popularize.

Executives at the company said they plan to use the new stores — dubbed Wal-Mart Express — for “urban offense and rural defense.” The world’s largest retailer has struggled to gain a foothold in metropolitan areas such as Washington and New York, where real estate is expensive and limited. It is also hoping to compete against the dollar stores in urban and rural markets that siphon away customers who want to make a quick trip.

READ MORE: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/walmart-unveils-smallest-store-format-announces-new-buyback/2011/06/03/AG7bJ1HH_story.html

cc

I could see one doing well in the Grandview Yard or by campus (something like where the family dollar on high is now).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Honestly, I can see this doing pretty well just about anywhere centrally. Walmart orbits Columbus without really having anything near the center of the city. I have to imagine there’s a large customer base with limited mobility options who would love not spending all day taking the bus to the South High or Whitehall stores.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I’d love to see a mini-WalMart in Campus Gateway…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

MichaelC wrote >>

As often as I hear non-students complain about making visits to the South Campus Gateway, I think it might actually do better right off of campus. Maybe somewhere on the northern end of Weinland Park… somewhere around 4th and 11th, or close to the new development at the old Coated Fabrics Site.

noca1218

Walker wrote >>

MichaelC wrote >>

As often as I hear non-students complain about making visits to the South Campus Gateway, I think it might actually do better right off of campus. Maybe somewhere on the northern end of Weinland Park… somewhere around 4th and 11th, or close to the new development at the old Coated Fabrics Site.

+1 to that… As someone who lives in the North Campus area, and goes south to work, I feel like this would be a great area for it. And if they actually did participate in some kind of neighborhood initiatives, then Weinland Park would be the perfect area for it.

Also, it would provide jobs to that area- because those people often do have limited mobility outside of COTA. This, IMO, would be awesome.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I think I posted in another thread awhile ago that this sounds good for the old sunflower space in the gateway. If I didn’t… This sounds good to go in the old sunflower space in the gateway.

gramarye
    Participant

cc wrote >>
    I could see one doing well in the Grandview Yard or by campus (something like where the family dollar on high is now).

This actually seems like something of a departure from Wal-Mart’s bread and butter, but not completely novel, either. I could see something like this in Weinland Park, or perhaps Franklinton. Really, though, Columbus is land-rich enough that I would hope to see a full Wal-Mart with a more urban-friendly design (like those seen early in this thread) a little closer to downtown.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 269 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: