Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Walmart Foundation Wants to Fix Suburban Sprawl Problems

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Walmart Foundation Wants to Fix Suburban Sprawl Problems

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

‘Sense of place’ is key to regional talent strategy
    Robert Steuteville, Better! Cities & Towns

The foundation funded by the Walton family — of Walmart fame — sponsored about 25 people to come to the Congress for the New Urbanism in Buffalo in early June. It was a remarkable group, including mayors, city council members, chamber of commerce officials, and representatives of regional planning commissions, economic development and transportation agencies, and others from four primary cities in Northwest Arkansas.

READ MORE: http://bettercities.net/article/‘sense-place’-key-regional-talent-strategy-21241

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Oh, the irony. Walmart has long led the charge for the destruction of Main Street small businesses in favor of suburban/exurban/fringe and rural sprawl. And now they’re worried that the next generation of workers don’t want to work in their corporate campuses and live in the neighboring cul-de-sacs.

I agree that creating a strong “sense of place” is key to moving in the right direction. I’m just not sure what aisle you can find that on inside a Sam’s Club.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Oh, the irony. Walmart has long led the charge for the destruction of Main Street small businesses in favor of suburban/exurban/fringe and rural sprawl. And now they’re worried that the next generation of workers don’t want to work in their corporate campuses and live in the neighboring cul-de-sacs.

I agree that creating a strong “sense of place” is key to moving in the right direction. I’m just not sure what aisle you can find that on inside a Sam’s Club.

Have you checked out this piece on Walmart’s hometown? Pretty interesting… http://www.urbanophile.com/2014/03/04/the-bentonville-arkansas-effect-by-eric-mcafee/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

That’s positive for Bentonville.

But I imagine it’s an outlier and not the norm though. I’ve been though enough small towns myself in various states to know how much has been abandoned in favor of new-and-shiny suburban sprawl.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Oh, the irony. Walmart has long led the charge for the destruction of Main Street small businesses in favor of suburban/exurban/fringe and rural sprawl.

In a lot of cases somebody else did that first. Stores you may recognize from the past such as Kmart, Big Wheel, Ames, Hills, Rink’s etc. were there first. Much of it happened in the ’70s. They’re really who Wal-Mart ran out. Wal-Mart didn’t hit Ohio until the early to mid ’90s and Columbus in 2000.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: