Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New 5-Story Mixed-Use Development Proposed for High Street

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New 5-Story Mixed-Use Development Proposed for High Street

This topic contains 78 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Likes Old Houses 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • Author

columbusmike
    Participant

Walker said:
    I skimmed the document, but did I miss something that said Walgreens? It said pharmacy, but I didn’t see one specifically named. Or is that info coming from somewhere else?

Look at the rendering….a Walgreens sign is shown (probably just shown as an artistic example of what could go there)

cbus11

Where am I going to do my laundry? ;)

I think the Gateway apartments are 100% rented. Some people (read students) really want the shiny new dorm away from dorm. I do wonder what moving sophomores to the on campus dorms will do to the South Campus rental market. I hope it will not bring in more section 8. I think the landlords are too used to high rent and low maintenance.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    Look at the rendering….a Walgreens sign is shown (probably just shown as an artistic example of what could go there)

Yeah, I wouldn’t take the image on the rendering as 100% accurate.

But if they do have a pharmacy tenant lined up, it’s a 50/50 tossup between Walgreens and CVS. ;)

labi
    Participant

berdawn said:
    There is a shortage of housing for those who are duel diagnosed, though and CHP was working in Feb to get approval for 84 units.

Walker said:
    I’m going to have to search for the original source, but I recall reading somewhere that the apartment rental rate in the University District was one of the highest in the city.

Right, I keep thinking of that part of High Street primarily as belonging to Weinland Park (which has vacant rental housing out the wha-hoo) rather than to the larger University District. Of course, both are true, I was just suffering from my personal (maybe willful?) shortsightedness about how close that property is to campus.

Your post on Sept 20, Walker, did say “affordable housing units.” Is Berdawn correctly associating that with dual-diagnosis residents and CHP? If not, do you know how “affordable” they mean by “affordable”? There’s a pretty wide range.

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

What is a dual-diagnosis resident?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

labi said:
    Your post on Sept 20, Walker, did say “affordable housing units.” Is Berdawn correctly associating that with dual-diagnosis residents and CHP? If not, do you know how “affordable” they mean by “affordable”? There’s a pretty wide range.

The application that the OP linked to says on page four that this development will provide “housing of a medium cost range” which I equated to “affordable”.

Yeah, pretty vague. I imagine more detail will be provided as the proposal process moved forward.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I don’t think they will have any trouble at all maintaining high occupancy with this project. The neighborhood already has the amenities within a 5 minute walk: a pharmacy downtstairs, grocery story, library, campus, Gateway, restaurants, bars, Short North Stage, the #2 bus line, etc. Those are all pretty desirable things people take into consideration when deciding where to move, especially urbanites and students. I guess it all depends on what they ask for rents.

Lisa Craig Morton
    Participant

Agree with the poster who said “let’s make sure they do it right, not just quickly”. Agree that the curb cut and first floor parking facing High Street are inappropriate. It will be interesting to see what happens to the acres of sub-standard campus rentals when (1) OSU implements the “sophomores must live in a dorm” rule, and (2) all of these new builds (this one and the ones proposed by Campus Partners) get built. Hoping someone is thinking through the overall impact to the neighborhood as these campus ghetto properties become vacant and unrentable or converted to Section 8. Love the idea of new development and also think we need to keep in mind the overall impact to the larger neighborhood.

Pablo
    Participant

I like the scale of the building – it will make High St. seem narrower. Wonder if the influx of 84 apartments will kick start the proposed retail building on the Kroger site? Interesting that the developer isn’t going for a parking reduction variance – the chart on one of the drawings indicated they are exceeding code by one parking space.

labi
    Participant

Walker said:
    The application that the OP linked to says on page four that this development will provide “housing of a medium cost range” which I equated to “affordable”.

Sorry – “affordable” has a specific range of meanings (like 30%-120% of area median income) in federally subsidized residential construction projects. We have so many of those projects in Weinland Park that I start to think everyone speaks that language.

I didn’t see any reference to federal support in the application for zoning variance, although I don’t know if one normally would.

rory
    Participant

Not sure that middle range means affordable. There wasn’t a lot of the language of affordability in the document and it seemed to be intentionally vague. But making a parking garage for low-income housing/dual diagnosis occupants doesn’t seem to jive with the investor oriented highest and best use of the site or the proposed design. The time is past for new CHP buildings in that immediate area. It’s just easier and more profitable to soak students or urban enthusiasts.

I think that Lisa Craig Morton is right that the sophomore move and new apartment coming on line near campus is going to be very interesting. Everything is moving west with the sophomores and the new master plan and there isn’t a plan for what to do with substandard campus housing north of 11th Avenue beyond letting the market work its magic. The path of least resistance for a campus landlord would just to make them Section 8. A student that wants a more adult/posh living experience can rent a new apartment rather than live in or next to a collapsing house surrounded by two feet of plastic cups and a backyard full of parked cars so there’s not much incentive to renovate. The question is whether its too late to code enforce them into making a liveable neighborhood and I’d say yes. It’s going to be Columbus’ next future ghetto.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rory said:
    Everything is moving west with the sophomores and the new master plan and there isn’t a plan for what to do with substandard campus housing north of 11th Avenue beyond letting the market work its magic. The path of least resistance for a campus landlord would just to make them Section 8.

The question is whether its too late to code enforce them into making a liveable neighborhood and I’d say yes. It’s going to be Columbus’ next future ghetto.

Is there any way that the University District Area Commission or The City of Columbus can limit or restrict Section 8 conversions/applications in this area to clear that option off the table for campus landlords?

rory
    Participant

Walker said:
    Is there any way that the University District Area Commission or The City of Columbus can limit or restrict Section 8 conversions/applications in this area to clear that option off the table for campus landlords?

Now that’s an interesting idea ;)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

That’s what I was thinking. Would be nice if they could. Anybody have an answer for that?

cbus11

I would imagine that a similar development will eventually go in on the corner of 5th and High. I think though, that more mid range renters living in the area will actually positively effect the south eastern section of WP. Maybe the Italian village gentrification will cross 5th.

As far at South Campus east of Summit, I think that area had a lot more section 8 in the not too distant past. The area needs more owner occupied units. I think Camps Partners was working on that,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: