Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New 5-Story Mixed-Use Development Proposed for High Street

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New 5-Story Mixed-Use Development Proposed for High Street

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

From the City Development website:

http://bzs.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Building_and_Zoning_Services/Boards_and_Commissions/Zoning/Board_of_Zoning_Adjustment/Meetings/2011/Active_Cases/11310-00498%201398-1400%20North%20High%20Street.pdf

A Walgreens plus 84 apartments and a parking deck, to replace the laundrymat on High Street, just north of the new Kroger. I imagine this is just the first proposal and would see some tweaks before coming a reality. I am not a fan of the modern design, or the curb cut in the middle of the block. Also I would like to see them do something different with the garage spce fronting High St, it is a big waste of space. Glad to see the interest in the Weinland Park area continuing to increase.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Awesome, I have been hoping that since the Kroger rebuild this site would get redeveloped but this is actually beyond my expectations. I can’t see how anyone would have an argument with this project but I’m sure it would take long for me to be surprised.

Pablo
    Participant

Glad to see it as well! It seems to me that the corner of King & High would be a great retail space. Wonder if the first level of parking could be re-worked to carve out retail space along High?

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Honestly, it looks like the same retail/housing plan that is located to the south of the Kroger, a good portion of which is still empty as far as retail space.

berdawn

Are these the ones that CHP was trying to get built?

beersie1
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, this is a huge improvement and I’m glad to see the apartments and hopefully extra retail opportunities. But I don’t really agree that there is a huge need for a pharmacy with the Kroger pharmacy right across the street. Not exactly sure what should go there, but it seems a bit repetitive having another pharmacy.

labi
    Participant

beersie1 said:
    Don’t get me wrong, this is a huge improvement and I’m glad to see the apartments and hopefully extra retail opportunities. But I don’t really agree that there is a huge need for a pharmacy with the Kroger pharmacy right across the street. Not exactly sure what should go there, but it seems a bit repetitive having another pharmacy.

+1
    Nor is there exactly an apartment shortage in the area.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

The scale of it is perfect and I like the design. Nice to see some modern aesthetics incorporated into the area. The SN and campus are coming together nicely.

berdawn

labi said:
    +1

There is a shortage of housing for those who are duel diagnosed, though and CHP was working in Feb to get approval for 84 units.

columbusmike
    Participant

It’s nothing special but it’s a HUGE improvement over what is currently there. Hopefully this moves forward quickly…looks like all the pieces are in place for this thing to go.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Overall definitely good news, getting rid of an eyesore and building a denser mixed-use building.

However, the first floor parking with mid-block curb cut is not ideal. Also, the street level detailing looks cheap and bland, and the garish glass “wrap” around the corner is aesthetically offensive.

Looking forward to a redesign and then construction.

BUT, lets make sure this is done right, not just quickly.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-five-story-development-proposed-for-university-district

Spoke to someone with KRG on the phone hoping to get some color high res renderings. They said the design is not finalized and more info will be made available in Mid-October when presenting to the University District Area Commission.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

labi said:

I’m going to have to search for the original source, but I recall reading somewhere that the apartment rental rate in the University District was one of the highest in the city.

An abundance of apartments doesn’t necessarily mean that there isn’t demand. It sounds like that area could use more.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Likes Old Houses said:
    A Walgreens…

I skimmed the document, but did I miss something that said Walgreens? It said pharmacy, but I didn’t see one specifically named. Or is that info coming from somewhere else?

people211

Looks like on pg 8 of that pdf it says Walgreens on the rendering there. It’s kind of hard to make out the letters though.. I almost thought they were talking about the empty lot at 5th and High for a split second and got excited..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: