Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Virgin Mobile prepaid Iphone to be released - $30/month unlimited text& data

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Virgin Mobile prepaid Iphone to be released – $30/month unlimited text& data

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs

Virgin Mobile IPhone

Virgin just announced pricing on the IPhone 4s no contract prepaid plans. They are offering $35, $45, $55/month but with $5 dollars off if you sign up for auto pay.

I will have to see how much they charge for the phone or if you can bring your own unlocked one…

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/iphone

rate_chart.png

bucki12

Seems pretty cheap, can you use a skype app if you run out of minutes?

SusanB
    Participant

Wow. I wish I didn’t have a contract with ATT (they suck, btw). Maybe the hubby gets a Virgin iPhone for his birthday.

In the long run you will save money but you have to pay full price for the phone upfront. like $549 and $649 upfront

th0m
    Participant

subject to throttling i read somewhere after 2.5 gb downloaded a month. so your average monthly 24/7 throughput would be like 80 kpbs … or roughly one and half dialup modems. sorry for the nerdyness i’ve been trying to think these terms lately to make sense of caps. of course you can’t control your own speeds, so watch a netflix movie or four and you’re done for the month.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Yeah right on the chart is says includes 2.5 GB of full speed data.

Unless you’re tethering it’s not too bad, especially for $25/month if you do autopay.

paktinat

I have a VM blackberry right now on the $35/month plan. I will probably get one of these when they become available.

now if VM would add conditional call forwarding so I could use google voice I would be a happy camper.

rus
    rus
    Participant

paktinat said:
    I have a VM blackberry right now on the $35/month plan. I will probably get one of these when they become available.

now if VM would add conditional call forwarding so I could use google voice I would be a happy camper.

I use google voice with VM on android. No problems.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

rus said:
    I use google voice with VM on android. No problems.

Hows Google Voice working? I just popped on their product page and that is pretty damn attractive, iphone or no, with the various no contract options out there.

rus
    rus
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    Hows Google Voice working? I just popped on their product page and that is pretty damn attractive, iphone or no, with the various no contract options out there.

I like it. I can give out a GV number and redirect those calls to any registered phone. With the app, sending out a text message or a outbound call I’m asked which number ( phone or GV ) I want to use.

Incoming texts and VMs are also sent to email, which is nice.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

rus said:
    I like it. I can give out a GV number and redirect those calls to any registered phone. With the app, sending out a text message or a outbound call I’m asked which number ( phone or GV ) I want to use.

Incoming texts and VMs are also sent to email, which is nice.

I just like the unlimited data for $35 and free calls while keeping my existing number.

cheap

i use google voice for my craigslist ads

great stuff

rus
    rus
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    I just like the unlimited data for $35 and free calls while keeping my existing number.

Data is good; it’s sprint network. There is a throttle point as noted, but it’s difficult to hit that, at least for me.

JonMyers
    Participant

I picked up the iPhone 4S world phone, and it’s been a great investment. It’s the unlocked iPhone that’s not tied to any carrier. It’s especially good if you plan on doing any international travel.

Most of the rest of the world operates on the GSM/ SIM card system. With this phone, you can drop into most countries, buy a local SIM for a few bucks, get a local number and be up and running in a few minutes. No contracts, and no hassles.

I’m amazed that US mobile carriers have had the lockdown they have on the networks for this long.

About a year ago I began weaning my contacts off of my ATT number (finally was able to cancel), and direct them to my Google Voice. If you go prepaid with a service like Virgin you can forward your Google Voice number to your prepaid number, and your contacts don’t know the difference.

I also use Grasshopper[/url] (for business, and also forwards to my Google Voice) and Skype out as part of this mix.

With the proliferation of wi-fi everywhere, I feel like having unlimited data or data caps is less and less of a sticking point.

Going pre-paid, pay as you go and contract less is the way to go because you end up paying more for the carrier phone subsidies in the long run.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Huh…so reading the fine print, you have to buy a phone from Virgin. Can’t bring one in and make the switch. Anyone know more?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: