Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Videography Company in Bexley Refusing Service to Same-Sex Couples

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Videography Company in Bexley Refusing Service to Same-Sex Couples

• This topic has 113 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by News.
Viewing 9 posts - 106 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

I am probably the only gay on the planet to say this – but – who cares? Go somewhere else. So say we force a small business person by law or otherwise to serve us against their beliefs, yippee hooray we win. Think it will be a positive experience on your big day? Think again. I’m not going to share my wedding day with bigots if I can help it. I’m glad this chick is open enough to tell me she hates me because I might have otherwise spent my hard earned money to support her shitty bigoted lifestyle and that would have hurt me more than being turned down.

Thank you.

Way back on page one there’s this:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad when businesses demonstrate their bigotry so the free market can respond appropriately. BUT, I never understand in these situations why the business owner doesn’t just say “sorry, we’re booked on that date”??

What the social media hype creates doesn’t look like a change of heart, but better tactics.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

So say we force a small business person by law or otherwise to serve us against their beliefs, yippee hooray we win.

The winning part is where you get to be protected from discrimination everywhere, Bexley and Columbus alike. Sure, this particular example fits the “go elsewhere” motif better than most…but now plug it into different businesses and services that you are attached to.

EvilAnton
    EvilAnton
    Participant

The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Cool. I tend to think that publicity hungry “queers” with pedestrian credentials attempting to slacktivate a difficult issue with supreme court level complexity are an embarrassment to real progress and dialogue.

News
    Participant

Bexley Pushes Ahead With Legislation Protecting LGBT Community
    By Josh Poland
    Tuesday March 31, 2015 4:46 PM

BEXLEY, Ohio – Bexley City Council is in the beginning stages of drafting anti-discrimination legislation after a lesbian couple claimed they were denied service from a local photographer.

The group “Wenited.org” staged a rally before Tuesday evening’s city council meeting to urge council members to move forward with legislation to protect the LGBT community. The rally organizers were also there to show support for Jenn Moffitt and Jerra Knicely — the two women who claimed they endured discrimination.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/03/31/bexley-ohio-bexley-pushes-ahead-with-legislation-protecting-the-lgbt-community.html

gtf3214
    Participant

Since same sex couples can not even get legally married in Ohio, isn’t that whole discussion kinda pointless? The company refused to take a video of an event that legally can’t even happen?!? (Yet)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Since same sex couples can not even get legally married in Ohio, isn’t that whole discussion kinda pointless? The company refused to take a video of an event that legally can’t even happen?!? (Yet)

It’s perfectly legal to have a same-sex marriage ceremony/event in Ohio.

It’s the paperwork part of the process that can’t be done here.

So no, the discussion is not pointless at all.

gtf3214
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gtf3214 wrote:</div>

It’s perfectly legal to have a same-sex marriage ceremony/event in Ohio.

It’s the paperwork part of the process that can’t be done here.

So no, the discussion is not pointless at all.

My point is they asked for a wedding video. A ceremony/event where nobody is actually getting married is not a wedding. Unless I have the wrong idea of what the definition of ‘wedding’ is. And I googled it. Google is never wrong.

News
    Participant

Bexley Council Passes New LGBT Protections
    June 24, 2015 9:54 pm – Jesse Bethea

Bexley was briefly the center of attention for many followers of the LGBT equality movement earlier this year when a local wedding videographer denied service to an engaged couple because they were gay.

“To hear that it happened in our neighborhood that I know to be a diverse and inclusive neighborhood was an incredibly disappointing thing,” said Deneese Owen, a member of Bexley City Council.

In response to that incident, Owen and the rest of the Council drafted a new anti-discrimination ordinance barring city businesses from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation. That ordinance passed at Tuesday night’s Council meeting with six votes of approval and one abstention.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/bexley-council-passes-new-lgbt-protections-jb1

Viewing 9 posts - 106 through 114 (of 114 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!