Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Videography Company in Bexley Refusing Service to Same-Sex Couples

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Videography Company in Bexley Refusing Service to Same-Sex Couples

• This topic has 113 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by News.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

minor injustice

Fairly surprised to hear a Jewish man call any form of discrimination a “minor injustice”.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Compared to what I have experienced and what I have witnessed, this is very minor. I have witnessed (and represented clients litigating against) a fair amount of age discrimination. Growing up, Jews were not welcome at the Columbus Country Club. I remember one job interview in Palm Beach County, Florida where the interviewer asked if I would have a problem working at a Jewish law firm. He did not realize I was Jewish. There was (and may still be) quite a lot of antisemitism in parts of South Florida. The way that works best for me is to work around the bigots.

McFly
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Snarf wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Friendoffacts wrote:</div><br>
    I wonder if the videographer also feels “humiliation” and “mental anguish” for their beliefs?

I sure the hell hope so, but she can just pray it away so no biggie.

Good point, but I suppose the couple could just go to a club and “dance” it away too….these folks love to dance, right? You know, the Ellen Show and all that stuff.

Ha! +5 points for “making equivalent generalizations.” Turnabout is fair play, I suppose.

I wonder what the end game is supposed to be in this particular situation. Is it just to punish the videographer and drive her out of business? To force her to take pictures of gay couples? (Which, by the way, I’m sure would turn out really well.)

joev
    Participant

If that’s the type of business she wants to run, this is not the city to run it in. My desired outcome is not that this woman loses her business, but that she has a change of heart. The choice is hers.

McFly
    Participant

If that’s the type of business she wants to run, this is not the city to run it in. My desired outcome is not that this woman loses her business, but that she has a change of heart. The choice is hers.

So, a renunciation (or, at a minimum, a reinterpretation) of her faith? I guess my question, then, would be – if she announced tomorrow that she had seen the error of her ways and would now accept work from gay couples… would anyone actually believe her? Would anyone think it was anything more than a calculated attempt to save her business?

Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

I wonder if there’s a “change of heart” camp or rehab she could attend. I mean, it’s not natural…she certainly can be cured.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I wonder what the end game is supposed to be in this particular situation. Is it just to punish the videographer and drive her out of business? To force her to take pictures of gay couples? (Which, by the way, I’m sure would turn out really well.)

How about just a sincere apology? Those still have value IMHO.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I think a simple “No Gays Allowed” sign on her business and graphic on her website would do wonders for her – I mean that’s what Jesus would do.

MRipley
    Participant

You’re asking for an apology? You really think she should apologize for following her version of faith and beliefs, or maybe it’s for not following yours?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

You’re asking for an apology? You really think she should apologize for following her version of faith and beliefs, or maybe it’s for not following yours?

How about just apologizing for hurting someone?

As long as that kind of thing aligns with her faith and beliefs.

NDaEast
    Participant

Two good things happened out of this: 1) the couple did not have an uncomfortable photographer at their wedding — someone perhaps scared of being “converted,” and thus unable to establish rapport and take beautiful pictures, and 2) the business owner now realizes that expressing her private beliefs can be bad for her business and she needs to keep the dumb shit that she is thinking in her head.

Walter_White
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MRipley wrote:</div>

Again, I do not agree with the business decision. But is refusing a gay wedding any more cynical than random people logging into Yelp and ruining this person’s business? People scream that this is unfair – then even though they have zero involvement, they participate in attempting to ruin someone’s life. Did this business hurt the couple more than the public is now hurting them?

But again – we’re at the point where people must apologize for having differing opinions.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>

I love how people are defending this, even in a roundabout way so they don’t actually have to say it directly. So many terrible things are justified using religion, but it’s really not an excuse.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MRipley wrote:</div><br>

Again, I do not agree with the business decision. But is refusing a gay wedding any more cynical than random people logging into Yelp and ruining this person’s business? People scream that this is unfair – then even though they have zero involvement, they participate in attempting to ruin someone’s life. Did this business hurt the couple more than the public is now hurting them?

But again – we’re at the point where people must apologize for having differing opinions.

Why do you think actions should not have consequences? I haven’t seen anyone advocate for ruining the woman’s life. I have seen people advocate taking their business elsewhere, along with calling a spade a spade in doing so. She made a choice, but now she is supposed to get a pass because it may cost her her business? That’s not how life ever works. If she loses her business, it’s because of her own decisions. It’s ridiculous to act like people have no responsibility in what they do and say.

DavidF
    Participant

So if I get lousy service from a business, I’m supposed to keep my mouth shut so I don’t harm to their business?

How is this any different from any other instance of poor service?

Oh, it’s because it’s “those” people imposing themselves on the rest of us.

I can’t wait to see the post where someone uses the word uppity.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 114 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!