Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Videography Company in Bexley Refusing Service to Same-Sex Couples

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Videography Company in Bexley Refusing Service to Same-Sex Couples

• This topic has 113 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by News.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 114 total)
  • Author

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

she should use the fishy thingy logo thing so people could avoid her if they think religious people are horrible bigots. She is taught to spread the word… I guess that’s why she was so up front about her reasoning?

theadocj
    Participant

Last time I checked this was still a free country. If she wants to make that decision for her business, let her. Who cares! These things aggravate me because she’s not going around trying to force everyone to believe what she does. Why does everyone who supports gay marriage need to strive to convince her they are right and that she is so wrong? Just live and let live folks.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Last time I checked this was still a free country.

There are caveats to that, you know.

If she wants to make that decision for her business, let her. Who cares!

Businesses are not free to exploit, endanger, discriminate or hurt customers or employees. That’s why America is a great country.

Why does everyone who supports gay marriage need to strive to convince her they are right and that she is so wrong?

Because no group of people should be treated as second-class citizens in this country. We’re all created equal.

pez
    Participant

Well, that shoots down my thoughts…

jbcmh81
    Participant

What’s wrong for a company standing up for what they believe? Let me ask you a question. If you’re a gay couple or a lesbian couple or what have you and you owned a t-shirt printing shop when someone comes in and orders 100 t shirts that say “death to queers” or something along those lines. Would you print them and fulfill the order? Everybody loves freedom of speech until you don’t like what’s said.

There’s nothing wrong with this woman running her company along her personal beliefs. But that doesn’t guarantee her protection from any consequences related to that decision. No business has the right to be free of consequences, nor do individuals. Morally, she feels she’s doing the right thing. For others, morally she is a bigot and in the wrong, and they are under no obligation to patronize her business when she freely chose to expose herself as a bigot, for religious reasons or otherwise.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Last time I checked this was still a free country. If she wants to make that decision for her business, let her. Who cares! These things aggravate me because she’s not going around trying to force everyone to believe what she does. Why does everyone who supports gay marriage need to strive to convince her they are right and that she is so wrong? Just live and let live folks.

Yes, this is a free country. Accordingly, when someone practices discrimination we’re able to use those freedoms to express our distaste for her actions and her business. Then the free market can decide if it wants to support her discriminatory practices. “Free” doesn’t mean free from consequences.

Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

And politely declining a non-critical business transaction for personal beliefs is not bigotry.

GreatOutdoors
    Participant

And politely declining a non-critical business transaction for personal beliefs is not bigotry.

And politely declining a seat in a non-critical restaurant to an African American for personal beliefs is not bigotry, of course. Geesh, people, what’s the problem?!

Chrysee
    Chrysee
    Participant

“Politely declining” would have been, as I said earlier, saying “I’m sorry, I’m unable to do that date”. She also had the option of not responding at all. Wedding vendors are inundated with requests and sometimes they just don’t get back to every inquiry. I’m sure many vendors may look at potential clients and decline for all sorts of petty reasons like their theme looks stupid, they look like they can’t afford me, the couple is unattractive, etc., but respond by saying they are unavailable. How would you know? People can be horrible. But I prefer this way, where the business owner lets us all know that she’s a terrible person.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Choosing not to do business with someone because of who they are is exactly bigotry.

This theater was choosing to decline non-critical business transactions for personal beliefs too…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

I should have clarified as not only non-critical, but also a for-hire, arguably luxury, personal services transaction.

Comparisons to refusing service at a restaurant or theater are flawed, IMO.

Of course, the couple could always sue.

duncanfj
    Participant

You’re entitled to your opinion. It is wrong, but you are entitled to it.

Please explain how having someone videotape an event is more of a luxury than paying someone to fix and serve you food. Or how having someone show you moving pictures on a large screen is not a luxury. So in your mind a caterer and videographer can discriminate? Who can not discriminate?

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Once marriage equality becomes the law in Ohio, how should the state deal with religious entities (actual churches) that refuse to conduct SSM? Keep in mind, there still are religious entities that will not conduct interfaith marriages.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I should have clarified as not only non-critical, but also a for-hire, arguably luxury, personal services transaction.

Comparisons to refusing service at a restaurant or theater are flawed, IMO.

Thank you for creating an incredibly specific subset of service providers who fit this particular story and are allowed to discriminate. That clears things right up.

Hugh, I really don’t have an issue with religious organizations continuing to refuse to perform same sex marriages. Churches do all sorts of things I don’t agree with, but I’m comfortable letting them continue under the name of religious freedom. More importantly, the aspects of marriage I’m concerned with are the legal ones under state law…not the spiritual ones.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Why should everyone have to believe in human equality?

Because that damn gay mafia with their big gay agenda and big gay money want to shove it down our throats, like the big gay bullies they are. We’re totes oppressed.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 114 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!