Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Videography Company in Bexley Refusing Service to Same-Sex Couples

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Videography Company in Bexley Refusing Service to Same-Sex Couples

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yes… Because you need special cameras, filters, a new template and extra specially trained personnel to shoot a gay wedding opposed to straight weddings. It’s probably because she doesn’t have anti-glitter-glare technology right now.

Beat me to it.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

“So the only reason she doesn’t do same-sex weddings ‘at this time’ is because of bigotry? I’d assume there is some specialization in the field and some situations may not fit the template that she uses.”

Yes… Because you need special cameras, filters, a new template and extra specially trained personnel to shoot a gay wedding opposed to straight weddings. It’s probably because she doesn’t have anti-glitter-glare technology right now. While she did put it politely and say ‘right now’ there is still little in the way of a logical reason as to why she can offer straight wedding services and not gay wedding services.

Edit: I’m horrible at this coding quoting thing

As an avid photographer I can tell you it is well known that gay people don’t show up in pictures and videos using regular lenses. No one wants to pay a bunch of money only to find out the video shows an empty room.

Wait, I’m thinking of vampires, sorry!

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

So does trying to put someone out of business for their religious beliefs count as bigotry?

pez
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>pez wrote:</div>
    So the only reason she doesn’t do same-sex weddings ‘at this time’ is because of bigotry? I’d assume there is some specialization in the field and some situations may not fit the template that she uses.

Specialization in the field of videography? Like a special video camera that doesn’t work for gay and lesbian couples? Or maybe they only have a license for the “Straights Only” version of Final Cut Pro and don’t want to pony up the extra money for the “Gay Videography” add-on suite of tools?

What other reason could there possibly be for a videography company to decline service to gay couples other than bigotry?

I’m not making any excuses, I’m simply stating that their could be several different reasons. You’ve chosen to pass judgement based on one side of an unconfirmed email and no other information. I choose to wait and see if there is more to the story. Regardless, I’m pretty sure that anything that might come out now will be dismissed by you and others here and while I appreciate the forum to discuss the matter, it’s disingenuous to post it under a News headline.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

So does trying to put someone out of business for their religious beliefs count as bigotry?

Using religious beliefs as a euphemism for bigotry doesn’t make the beliefs any less bigoted.

And no, trying to out someone as bigoted and encouraging others not to support them when that bigotry is part and parcel of their business practices is not bigotry.

pez
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cbussmallbiz wrote:</div>

Using religious beliefs as a euphemism for bigotry doesn’t make the beliefs any less bigoted.

And no, trying to out someone as bigoted and encouraging others not to support them when that bigotry is part and parcel of their business practices is not bigotry.

Except you have no evidence that they are bigoted.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m not making any excuses, I’m simply stating that their could be several different reasons.

Name one valid nondiscriminatory reason.

You’ve chosen to pass judgement based on one side of an unconfirmed email and no other information. I choose to wait and see if there is more to the story.

We all form opinions based upon known information in front of us. If new information comes to light, then opinions can change. Based upon what we’ve seen thus far, I do think the company is in the wrong. That’s just my own personal opinion. If the email was a hoax (which sounds nonsensical and far fetched) then sure… they didn’t do anything wrong. Anyone can make up any number of unlikely scenarios that can give them pause to have an opinion on a topic, but that doesn’t mean that discussion isn’t going to happen prior to unlikely scenarios being proven false.

Regardless, I’m pretty sure that anything that might come out now will be dismissed by you and others here and while I appreciate the forum to discuss the matter, it’s disingenuous to post it under a News headline.

It’s news, regardless of how you feel about the topic either way.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Wait, where did she proclaim she didn’t do these weddings because of religious beliefs? More importantly, what religious beliefs prohibit you from taking video of same sex ceremonies? I don’t remember that verse…

But in answer to your question, assuming she is using her religion to justify discrimination, no…it doesn’t count as bigotry. This is how the free market works.

bayrea
    Participant

More importantly, what religious beliefs prohibit you from taking video of same sex ceremonies? I don’t remember that verse…

Leviticus 20:13

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. And there is no way I am photographing that shit.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Substitute Black, Muslim, Jewish, Indian, Asian, Catholic or pretty much any other possible thing for “same sex” and tell me how that goes? Wouldn’t it reason that it would be against a Christian’s beliefs to video a Muslim wedding? How often to we hear of that?

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cbussmallbiz wrote:</div>

Substitute Black, Muslim, Jewish, Indian, Asian, Catholic or pretty much any other possible thing for “same sex” and tell me how that goes? Wouldn’t it reason that it would be against a Christian’s beliefs to video a Muslim wedding? How often to we hear of that?

A Muslim wedding would be between a man and woman.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

One hundred percent agreed. Discrimination is discrimination.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cinci3395
    Participant

What’s wrong for a company standing up for what they believe? Let me ask you a question. If you’re a gay couple or a lesbian couple or what have you and you owned a t-shirt printing shop when someone comes in and orders 100 t shirts that say “death to queers” or something along those lines. Would you print them and fulfill the order? Everybody loves freedom of speech until you don’t like what’s said.

McFly
    Participant

I never understand in these situations why the business owner doesn’t just say “sorry, we’re booked on that date”??

This.

I mean, what does she hope to accomplish by providing the reasoning behind her refusal?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 114 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS