Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Videography Company in Bexley Refusing Service to Same-Sex Couples

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Videography Company in Bexley Refusing Service to Same-Sex Couples

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 114 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Same-sex couple turned away by small business in Columbus, Ohio
    By jcuret | Posted March 12, 2015

A small videography company by the name of “Next Door Stories” located in Bexley, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus, has recently raised a prevalent question: Are businesses allowed to refuse business from and service to the LGBT community?

On February 4th, 2015, Next Door Stories LLC, owned by Courtney and Isaiah Schmackers replied to an inquiry made by Jerra Knicely and her partner about potential video services for their upcoming wedding.

READ MORE: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1224230

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Chrysee
    Chrysee
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad when businesses demonstrate their bigotry so the free market can respond appropriately. BUT, I never understand in these situations why the business owner doesn’t just say “sorry, we’re booked on that date”??

ohbr
    Participant

Their website is offline and they’ve suspended their YouTube account, I’m surprised they’ve kept their facebook page though. hey, maybe we should adopt a law like Oklahoma is proposing; if you want to exercise your right to discriminate it has to be posted on the door. You know, “we reserve the right to refuse service based on religious beliefs” because it worked out so well in the past…. -_-

I am curious to see how this all turns out.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

I can’t imagine they’ll be in business too much longer in this town.

bayrea
    Participant

I’m not defending bigotry but I think it’s ironic that the State of Ohio does not recognize same sex marriage yet. Technically I can’t see how a law suit against the photographer would hold any ground when they could simply say, “the state doesn’t even recognize it!”

bayrea
    Participant

Also in regard to the website being down. They are probably doing the smart business move. Change names, move a few blocks away. No one will ever make the connection unless they do some heavy digging.

pez
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad when businesses demonstrate their bigotry so the free market can respond appropriately. BUT, I never understand in these situations why the business owner doesn’t just say “sorry, we’re booked on that date”??

I don’t see anything in that note that indicates bigotry. Before we rally around to ruin a business maybe it makes sense to understand the situation rather than immediately crying racism/hate/bigotry/etc.

joev
    Participant

I’m sure the Chick-Fil-a/Hobby Lobby crowd will support this bigot business.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I don’t see anything in that note that indicates bigotry.

Not even the part where they said “I do not offer services for same-sex weddings”?

I mean… they weren’t overly rude about it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not discrimination rooted in bigotry.

pez
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>pez wrote:</div>
    I don’t see anything in that note that indicates bigotry.

Not even the part where they said “I do not offer services for same-sex weddings”?

I mean… they weren’t overly rude about it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not discrimination rooted in bigotry.

So the only reason she doesn’t do same-sex weddings ‘at this time’ is because of bigotry? I’d assume there is some specialization in the field and some situations may not fit the template that she uses.

Instead of leaving open the possibility that there may other factors to consider, you simply prefer to risk ruining some’s career and reputation by jumping to conclusions in the attempt to appear politically correct.

edit: ‘you’ as in the collective, not indiviual.

ohbr
    Participant

“So the only reason she doesn’t do same-sex weddings ‘at this time’ is because of bigotry? I’d assume there is some specialization in the field and some situations may not fit the template that she uses.”

Yes… Because you need special cameras, filters, a new template and extra specially trained personnel to shoot a gay wedding opposed to straight weddings. It’s probably because she doesn’t have anti-glitter-glare technology right now. While she did put it politely and say ‘right now’ there is still little in the way of a logical reason as to why she can offer straight wedding services and not gay wedding services.

Edit: I’m horrible at this coding quoting thing

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

If you don’t see bigotry in refusing service to two people because of their sexuality, then you’re attempting to overlook bigotry.

JeepGirl
    Participant

True that it’s very likely that the entire story hasn’t been told and people will immediately jump on a bandwagon without knowing the full situation – it’s what people do.

But.. I have to admit that while I’m personally not on that bandwagon yet I’m definitely trotting along with it and may look for a seat. This is a business in the business of taking photos, right? Doesn’t seem to make business sense that they wouldn’t just confirm their availability on the date, take the best photos they could, deliver them, accept their revenue with a pearly smile and move on.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

So the only reason she doesn’t do same-sex weddings ‘at this time’ is because of bigotry? I’d assume there is some specialization in the field and some situations may not fit the template that she uses.

Specialization in the field of videography? Like a special video camera that doesn’t work for gay and lesbian couples? Or maybe they only have a license for the “Straights Only” version of Final Cut Pro and don’t want to pony up the extra money for the “Gay Videography” add-on suite of tools?

What other reason could there possibly be for a videography company to decline service to gay couples other than bigotry?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 114 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE