Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Vertical farm for columbus commons?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Vertical farm for columbus commons?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

hershey49

This idea stemmed from a video project I did for a city and regional planning class at The Ohio State University. Although difficult to attain funding for, I believe a vertical farm would be a fantastic addition to the future Columbus commons. As some of you may know, a vertical farm has been one proposal for the old cooper stadium site. However, a structure as monumental as the nation’s first vertical farm deserves a high profile location, one within the heart of a city. I believe that the Columbus Commons site would fit the bill for such a location.

If you are interested in hearing more about this please watch my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZeIB_A6PR0

Join us on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=351131265888

Rastapasta

Any more info on vertical farming? I went to verticalfarm.com and it made the whole concept seem rather outlandish.

KyleEzell

No cooper stadium site! No cooper stadium site!

ZHC

Considering the fact the subterranean garage is unable to support vehicular traffic according to engineers, I have wonder whether it would be strong enought to support a likelier much heavier vertical farm.

from what I’ve been told about 6-8 stories max on the edges is what the garage can handle

hershey49

Rastapasta wrote >>
    Any more info on vertical farming? I went to verticalfarm.com and it made the whole concept seem rather outlandish.

Seeing as it is a very new idea it could be viewed as outlandish. However airplanes, automobiles and space shuttles were once seen as outlandish as well. With increases in technology this concept could become a reality, it all really depends on the money that is put into it.

Rastapasta

hershey49 wrote >>

Rastapasta wrote >>

Seeing as it is a very new idea it could be viewed as outlandish. However airplanes, automobiles and space shuttles were once seen as outlandish as well. With increases in technology this concept could become a reality, it all really depends on the money that is put into it.

“it all really depends on the money”.. yeah everything does.

A quick glance at that site and I see it’s full of rediculous claims. Vertical farming will prevent crop damage from F5 hurricanes? can be built in refugee camps to provide food? A solution for armed conflict over resources? Seems this site was written by some silly undergrad college students who have no understanding of how the world works…

If this is a non-outlandish idea– why don’t they present it in a way that reflects reality (and yes, $$ is an important part of reality), not dream world? Like I said, I am interseted in learning more about vertical farming from a practical stand point..

Mercurius
    Participant

I see no use for them other than to increase the actual acreage of farm land. In Ohio, other than for research purposes of building them in other places, they are the dumbest idea ever. We have fewer and fewer farmers tending the beautiful verdant land that surrounds us. Build denser cities that save farmland; practice sustainable agriculture to save the soil – but why on earth grow carrots in the sky?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Rastapasta wrote >>

If this is a non-outlandish idea– why don’t they present it in a way that reflects reality (and yes, $$ is an important part of reality), not dream world? Like I said, I am interseted in learning more about vertical farming from a practical stand point..

This might help…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_farming

Economic analysis needed

The analytical work needed to establish the feasibility of vertical farming has not been done. A detailed cost analysis including operation, transportation, fertilization and soil preparation costs, crop success rates, and health-care, recycling, renewable energy, and employment benefits is required to determine the cost effectiveness of vertical farming compared to traditional farming. The extra cost of lighting, heating, and powering the vertical farm may negate any of the cost benefits received by the decrease in transportation expenses. Because the stacked growing surfaces of a vertical farm would receive far less sunlight than the equivalent land area in a rural farm, the vertical farm would require a significant level of artificial lighting and heating to operate in all seasons. Critics have observed that high levels of artificial lighting would be needed for crops growing in areas of the building unexposed to sunlight.[29] Bruce Bugbee, a crop physiologist at Utah State University, believes that the huge power demands of vertical farming would be too expensive and uncompetitive with traditional farms using only free natural light. He notes that the levels of light needed by growing crops is about 100 times the amount used by people working in offices.[30] The economic and environmental benefits of vertical farming rest partly on the concept of minimizing food miles, the distance that food travels from farm to consumer. However, a recent analysis suggests that transportation is only a minor contributor to the economic and environmental costs of supplying food to urban populations. The author of the report, University of Toronto professor Pierre Desrochers, concluded that “food miles are, at best, a marketing fad.”[31]

groundrules
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>
    but why on earth grow carrots in the sky?

cuz growing ’em in the dirt like granddad did ain’t gonna earn you no college credit.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

hershey49 wrote >>
    However, a structure as monumental as the nation’s first vertical farm deserves a high profile location, one within the heart of a city.

I guess I don’t agree. If you’re doing something experimental, I don’t see the point in trying to make it the centerpiece of the city, especially when not much is known about it’s viability or environmental impact. I think that a plot of land over on west campus with the rest of the agriculture department is a fine place for it.

hershey49

michaelcoyote wrote >>

hershey49 wrote >>
    However, a structure as monumental as the nation’s first vertical farm deserves a high profile location, one within the heart of a city.

I guess I don’t agree. If you’re doing something experimental, I don’t see the point in trying to make it the centerpiece of the city, especially when not much is known about it’s viability or environmental impact. I think that a plot of land over on west campus with the rest of the agriculture department is a fine place for it.

The thing I find to be most interesting about vertical farming is a plan for our future. The worlds population is going to increase over the next 20-40 years, and vertical farming can help save land that is currently being used for agriculture. These vast spaces previously used as farms could be returned to their natural ecosystems, or even used to expand human development. However, if a vertical farm is going to work towards those goals it should be placed within the downtown area of a city. Although we haven’t quite reached the point of overcrowding, putting this within a city will simulate future uses, as well as creating something unique and beautiful for our city center. Sure it will be expensive, but imagine the fame Columbus would receive if we were the first to put a vertical farm into practice. Not only would it put Columbus on the map as the first to employ this technology, but it would also create an attraction to bring people into our city. Lets face it, Ohio cities are not doing well. Cleveland, Dayton and Cincinnati are mere shells of the cities they used to be… Lets not let Columbus become a dying city as well. Columbus needs something that will bring the attention of the nation at large, and I think vertical farming will do just that.

Core_Models

“However, if a vertical farm is going to work towards those goals it should be placed within the downtown area of a city.”

why?

Bear
    Participant

Sounds like a CAFO for vegetables. Surprised conventional farmers aren’t all over it, actually — economies of scale and all that.

Core_Models wrote >>
    “However, if a vertical farm is going to work towards those goals it should be placed within the downtown area of a city.”
    why?

Idea is they could help purify water, if I recall correctly. That’d make them make sense in a city.

ETA, agreed with much of the above tho, am kinda tired of trying to peer through the breathless hype surrounding these things and figure out the reality.

Core_Models

Critics have observed that high levels of artificial lighting would be needed for crops growing in areas of the building unexposed to sunlight.[29] Bruce Bugbee, a crop physiologist at Utah State University, believes that the huge power demands of vertical farming would be too expensive and uncompetitive with traditional farms using only free natural light.

I’ve gotta think that’s steering some conventional farmers away, and then add to that the downtown location will have the added shade of tall buildings on every side…it just seems like the only reason to put it downtown is some sort of “wow factor”, which in the end results in it having even less chance to succeed.

Rastapasta

hershey49 wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

hershey49 wrote >>

The thing I find to be most interesting about vertical farming is a plan for our future. The worlds population is going to increase over the next 20-40 years, and vertical farming can help save land that is currently being used for agriculture. These vast spaces previously used as farms could be returned to their natural ecosystems, or even used to expand human development. However, if a vertical farm is going to work towards those goals it should be placed within the downtown area of a city. Although we haven’t quite reached the point of overcrowding, putting this within a city will simulate future uses, as well as creating something unique and beautiful for our city center. Sure it will be expensive, but imagine the fame Columbus would receive if we were the first to put a vertical farm into practice. Not only would it put Columbus on the map as the first to employ this technology, but it would also create an attraction to bring people into our city. Lets face it, Ohio cities are not doing well. Cleveland, Dayton and Cincinnati are mere shells of the cities they used to be… Lets not let Columbus become a dying city as well. Columbus needs something that will bring the attention of the nation at large, and I think vertical farming will do just that.

Do you even have a clue why other cities in Ohio aren’t doing well? hint: JOBS, their economies were based on manufacturing. Columbus does not need any magical world’s first sci-fi “attraction” to “save our city” — Columbus isn’t a dieing city!

Why don’t you pitch the practical aspects of vertical farming rather then a bunch of idealistic “bs” that ignores reality?

derrr Verticalfarming will end world hunger! bring peace to the middle east! and make everyone live twice as long! yipeee!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE