Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Urban Grocery Store Concept in the Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Urban Grocery Store Concept in the Short North

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author

sruckus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>
    Walkable? Yes.

Easily walkable? No.

Will they do it almost every weekend? Yes.

That and he conveniently forgot the dedicated bridge over the river for pedestrians, AND the pathway on the bridge on John Herrick, AND the dedicated bus route…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Will they shop at a Target Express instead if it’s closer to their dorm/apartment? Yes.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckeyecpa wrote:</div>
    Walker, please get an interview with the powers and have them explain why the project was squashed. It really is the best use for the dead link to downtown. It’s a pitiful stretch that most see while visiting. The Hilton/tax payers excuse shouldn’t even be considered. We can handle the two hotels right there.

I think it’s pretty obvious why it never happened. It was a project brought up by a developer, and not asked for by the convention authority. It would have taken away space from the convention center when they were looking to expand the size of the convention center, and they had just opened the Hilton across the street, and didn’t want another hotel to compete with that until they were sure it was established.

It was a great project, but in retrospect, it doesn’t look like it was ever viable.

Actually, I believe the convention authority had solicited ideas for redeveloping the northern plaza, so it wasn’t just a developer proposing something out of the blue. Everything about what went down with this was so wrong. As bad as disregarding some very cool proposals was and completely wasting an amazing opportunity to really ignite this intersection, the authority decided to go with a 100% publicly funded renovation project rather than something that could’ve easily been privately funded or had a mix of public and private dollars.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

Will they shop at a Target Express instead if it’s closer to their dorm/apartment? Yes.

only if it sells leggings

DR
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>
    Walkable? Yes.

Easily walkable? No.

I was excited about the Anthropology!!! Now I’m just excited for anything thats NOT Cameron Mitchell or Hyde Park!

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I have a weekly calendar reminder to start Trader Joe’s rumors.

drtom1234
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>drtom1234 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckeyecpa wrote:</div><br>
    Walker, please get an interview with the powers and have them explain why the project was squashed. It really is the best use for the dead link to downtown. It’s a pitiful stretch that most see while visiting. The Hilton/tax payers excuse shouldn’t even be considered. We can handle the two hotels right there.

I think it’s pretty obvious why it never happened. It was a project brought up by a developer, and not asked for by the convention authority. It would have taken away space from the convention center when they were looking to expand the size of the convention center, and they had just opened the Hilton across the street, and didn’t want another hotel to compete with that until they were sure it was established.

It was a great project, but in retrospect, it doesn’t look like it was ever viable.

Actually, I believe the convention authority had solicited ideas for redeveloping the northern plaza, so it wasn’t just a developer proposing something out of the blue. Everything about what went down with this was so wrong. As bad as disregarding some very cool proposals was and completely wasting an amazing opportunity to really ignite this intersection, the authority decided to go with a 100% publicly funded renovation project rather than something that could’ve easily been privately funded or had a mix of public and private dollars.

Huh. That’s not how I remember it, but I’ll have to go back to the original article when I have time and see if it’s mentioned. But the primary thing you’re ignoring, is that the convention authority was looking to expand, and this proposal would have removed a sizable chunk of meeting space. I can’t imagine that was well received.

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO