Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Urban Grocery Store Concept in the Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Urban Grocery Store Concept in the Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Although this is a win for the Short North, I don’t think this is a long term solution, especially as more and more apartment developments go in on High St. As Nancy H mentioned, the big box stores (Kroger south of OSU’s campus, Giant Eagle on Neil, The Market on Summit) are not feasible for a Short North resident to walk for groceries. Walkability is all about time/travel time and those locations are out of the question. I realize one can take public transit or the CBUS, however, the discussion is about a truly walkable, full-service urban grocery option in the heart of the Short North, separate from relying solely on car or public transit.

I agree with CB_downtowner. The options of easily drivable grocery store options are great here in Columbus and we should definitely be thankful. However, until we start challenging our Midwestern mentality of always driving to the grocery, then we will never see such urban concept come to fruition in our urban neighborhoods, like the Short North. I also agree with King Gambrinus, that something should go into Two25 once it’s built. As more and more developments go in and around The Commons, I think Two25 will be a great location and opportunity for a big chain, urban grocery store concept.

WJT also said something interesting, about an Urban Target or something like it going in around OSU. I would love to see Edwards Communities/University Area Review Board/other developers bring something in like a WalMart Express, as they begin their massive development/redevelopment on High St, near campus.

Comparing apples to oranges here:<br>
    When I lived in Chicago, I absolutely loved how each neighborhood had multiple walkable grocery store options. For example, look at the Google map of my old neighborhood, Lake View East/Boystown/Wrigleyville. There are four grocery store options within a 1/2 mile radius of each other: Treasure Island, Jewel-Osco, WalMart Express, and Whole Foods. Once again, I do understand it’s Chicago, and Columbus is nowhere near Chicago in many regards, but this should be very intriguing.

Oats and Barley Market going into the old Oxygen Fitness is great, however, as several people have mentioned, a store dedicated to filling growlers, selling craft beers/specialized wines, select grocery options, etc. is sort of overkill based upon how many other local places provide the same services, especially filling growlers. If that’s what the owners are really excited about, then they may be emphasizing the wrong product/service. It seems like it will have a Whole Foods vibe, so I think it would be in their best interest if they highlight the grocery items more so than filling growlers, since there are limited grocery options in the Short North.

Overall, I think Oats and Barley Market will do fine, but right out of the gates, this store arguably won’t be able to accommodate the ever increasing Short North/Italian Village population when it comes to grocery needs. And it simply doesn’t have the market reputation and clout as what a Kroger, Giant Eagle, or Jewel-Osco. At this point, I think the only game changer in the Short North urban grocery store concept conversation would be if the aforesaid big box brands came in with their own respected urban concept.

More grocery options is always a good thing so won’t complain if they pop up. However, if we grow those options, I’m less a fan of big box grocery. I love the idea of an urban Target with food. Love the grocery concepts at Hills and coming soon to the Atlas building. Small markets here and there. This concept looks fine to me too. Just pointing out that downtowners have a surprisingly good amount of options within a stones throw.

WJT
    Participant

Although this is a win for the Short North, I don’t think this is a long term solution, especially as more and more apartment developments go in on High St. As Nancy H mentioned, the big box stores (Kroger south of OSU’s campus, Giant Eagle on Neil, The Market on Summit) are not feasible for a Short North resident to walk for groceries. Walkability is all about time/travel time and those locations are out of the question. I realize one can take public transit or the CBUS, however, the discussion is about a truly walkable, full-service urban grocery option in the heart of the Short North, separate from relying solely on car or public transit.

I agree with CB_downtowner. The options of easily drivable grocery store options are great here in Columbus and we should definitely be thankful. However, until we start challenging our Midwestern mentality of always driving to the grocery, then we will never see such urban concept come to fruition in our urban neighborhoods, like the Short North. I also agree with King Gambrinus, that something should go into Two25 once it’s built. As more and more developments go in and around The Commons, I think Two25 will be a great location and opportunity for a big chain, urban grocery store concept.

WJT also said something interesting, about an Urban Target or something like it going in around OSU. I would love to see Edwards Communities/University Area Review Board/other developers bring something in like a WalMart Express, as they begin their massive development/redevelopment on High St, near campus.

Comparing apples to oranges here:<br>
    When I lived in Chicago, I absolutely loved how each neighborhood had multiple walkable grocery store options. For example, look at the Google map of my old neighborhood, Lake View East/Boystown/Wrigleyville. There are four grocery store options within a 1/2 mile radius of each other: Treasure Island, Jewel-Osco, WalMart Express, and Whole Foods. Once again, I do understand it’s Chicago, and Columbus is nowhere near Chicago in many regards, but this should be very intriguing.

Oats and Barley Market going into the old Oxygen Fitness is great, however, as several people have mentioned, a store dedicated to filling growlers, selling craft beers/specialized wines, select grocery options, etc. is sort of overkill based upon how many other local places provide the same services, especially filling growlers. If that’s what the owners are really excited about, then they may be emphasizing the wrong product/service. It seems like it will have a Whole Foods vibe, so I think it would be in their best interest if they highlight the grocery items more so than filling growlers, since there are limited grocery options in the Short North.

Overall, I think Oats and Barley Market will do fine, but right out of the gates, this store arguably won’t be able to accommodate the ever increasing Short North/Italian Village population when it comes to grocery needs. And it simply doesn’t have the market reputation and clout as what a Kroger, Giant Eagle, or Jewel-Osco. At this point, I think the only game changer in the Short North urban grocery store concept conversation would be if the aforesaid big box brands came in with their own respected urban concept.

Unfortunately, I think something else will have to come in, as Walmart is phasing out every single one of their Walmart Express Stores. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2016/01/15/walmart-is-ending-its-express-concept-and-closing-269-stores/

I still think something like a Target Express would be great for High near the south campus area..close enough to much of the Short North area and walkable from south campus area/University as well. I think the first one they opened was by the University of Minnesota at Minneapolis? Would work great for OSU/High street area IMO. The city should fight for one!

Any small real grocery store concept would be great really.

sruckus
    Participant

I don’t see the appeal of a Target Express near OSU when a full Target is right over at Lennox, easily walkable from OSU and there’s a dedicated bus route from OSU to Lennox.

WJT
    Participant

I don’t see the appeal of a Target Express near OSU when a full Target is right over at Lennox, easily walkable from OSU and there’s a dedicated bus route from OSU to Lennox.

Maybe father down High, maybe northern downtown?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…easily walkable from OSU…

If you live in any of the new dorms near Lane & High, you’re talking about a 3-to-4 mile round trip (depending upon route) that requires navigating/crossing Olentangy River Road, which isn’t very pedestrian friendly.

In fact, when Googling walking directions on foot, you get the following warning:

Use caution – may involve errors or sections not suited for walking

Walkable? Yes.

Easily walkable? No.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, an urban Target would have fit in well into this cancelled proposal:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/two-15-story-towers-proposed-at-convention-center

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>

Yeah, an urban Target would have fit in well into this cancelled proposal:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/two-15-story-towers-proposed-at-convention-center

Dang it! Where is the crying emoticon? :( *sad sigh*

buckeyecpa
    Participant

Walker, please get an interview with the powers and have them explain why the project was squashed. It really is the best use for the dead link to downtown. It’s a pitiful stretch that most see while visiting. The Hilton/tax payers excuse shouldn’t even be considered. We can handle the two hotels right there.

Nancy H
    Participant

The thought that SN residents want cute little boutique grocery stores that sell fair trade coffee, all organic produce and fill growlers is the exact opposite of what the majority of residents actually want. We want everyday grocery items. Students living in dorms do very little cooking. The majority of the residents on High Street are young and tend to eat out more than cook at home. We don’t need more grocery options on High. We need them where the highest concentration of mixed residents are located (young, old, couples with children, etc) and that is in Italian Village along Summit or Fourth. That location also helps serve the growing residential population downtown.

WJT
    Participant

The thought that SN residents want cute little boutique grocery stores that sell fair trade coffee, all organic produce and fill growlers is the exact opposite of what the majority of residents actually want. We want everyday grocery items. Students living in dorms do very little cooking. The majority of the residents on High Street are young and tend to eat out more than cook at home. We don’t need more grocery options on High. We need them where the highest concentration of mixed residents are located (young, old, couples with children, etc) and that is in Italian Village along Summit or Fourth. That location also helps serve the growing residential population downtown.

Something along Summit or Fourth would be close enough to serve High anyway(as long as it was not too far North) I would think. What do you think about something like an Urban Target/Target Express for Cbus? Where do you think that would work(if anywhere)? *edit*

CB_downtowner
    Participant

The point of a target express isn’t to compete with target. I don’t think anyone’s pushing for a mega target. I think of it like a convenience superstore with grocery options. Downtown is sorely lacking this kind of retail which is a shame. Especially for visitors with no car. Which is why I love this type of option much more than big box grocery. It would be nice to have both but the big gap I see in downtown is lack of convenience options, much more so than lack of grocery options.

drtom1234
    Participant

Walker, please get an interview with the powers and have them explain why the project was squashed. It really is the best use for the dead link to downtown. It’s a pitiful stretch that most see while visiting. The Hilton/tax payers excuse shouldn’t even be considered. We can handle the two hotels right there.

I think it’s pretty obvious why it never happened. It was a project brought up by a developer, and not asked for by the convention authority. It would have taken away space from the convention center when they were looking to expand the size of the convention center, and they had just opened the Hilton across the street, and didn’t want another hotel to compete with that until they were sure it was established.

It was a great project, but in retrospect, it doesn’t look like it was ever viable.

DLDude
    Participant

Everyone lost their shit when Anthropologie came to the short north because it was going to kill the ‘local’ feel of High Street…. and now we’re talking about a Target Express?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Everyone lost their shit when Anthropologie came to the short north because it was going to kill the ‘local’ feel of High Street…. and now we’re talking about a Target Express?

Well, some people lost their shit about Anthropologie, but not everyone. Some were very excited about the news.

I imagine the same would occur if a Target Express was announced. Some in favor, some against.

There’s no universal agreement amongst all people in favor of one thing or the other.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Walkable? Yes.

Easily walkable? No.

Will they do it almost every weekend? Yes.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO