Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Urban Grocery Store Concept in the Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Urban Grocery Store Concept in the Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author

lbl
    Participant

just a long shot, but is there a large enough space left in the Wonderbread building forsomething like this? not their original objective to be retail heavy, though it would be a decent locale and it has delivery access and some parking already incorporated.

Nancy H
    Participant

just a long shot, but is there a large enough space left in the Wonderbread building forsomething like this?

Might even be a good fit on the Cafe del Mondo site. The church needs some parking for Mass and the occasional wedding, funeral, etc, but most of the week their lot would sit empty.

News
    Participant

Oats and Barley Market Bringing Grocery Store to The Short North
    January 11, 2016 11:17 am – Walker Evans

While the loss of the gym is certainly sad news, nearby residents will be pleased to hear that the space will not sit empty for long. A new health-food centric grocery store called Oats and Barley Market is planned to replace it.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/oats-and-barley-market-short-north-grocery

goldenidea
    Participant

Is it known yet who’s building-out the two remaining Fireproof retail units, between Chipotle & Wright-Patt?

heresthecasey
    Participant

Is it known yet who’s building-out the two remaining Fireproof retail units, between Chipotle & Wright-Patt?

I’ve heard those spaces are being combined and it will be a Pet Valu. They bought the local Jack’s stores last year and have been looking to expand.

Eugene_C
    Participant

FYI – There’s a big Kroger around 6th and High, and a Giant Eagle at Buttles & Neil. The North Market also sells cleave meats, seafood and produce.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I think maybesomehow people in the city don’t think of Giant Eagles as “urban” stores. They are asking for smaller stores that specialize in fair trade and specialty brands as opposed to Kellogs, etc.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

“One of things we’re really excited about is our ability to fill growlers,” added Sano

I’m not sure that’s unique enough to be one of your main marketing/talking points.

“I think it would be great to have something in the neighborhood that carries a wider variety of daily goods that we currently aren’t seeing,” said Italian Village resident Mike Beaumont. “We have a lot of specialty places, and a fair amount of high-priced options, but it would be great to have something nearby that focuses on quality, convenience and everyday items that’s a bit more locally-focused than the big box grocers.”

that looks more like the niche they should be promoting hard.

I hope they do well.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

“One of things we’re really excited about is our ability to fill growlers,” added Sano

I’m not sure that’s unique enough to be one of your main marketing/talking points.

Are there any other growler-fill stations in the Short North? They all seem to be concentrated in Clintonville. ;)

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

That only works if you can find a manageable-sized basket of goods that appeal to a large number of customers. The problem with being too focused is that half a dozen people buy this thing and half a dozen buy that thing but not enough buy either to to cover the shelf space and breakage.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

Are there any other growler-fill stations in the Short North? They all seem to be concentrated in Clintonville. ;)

house beer, bodega, pint house, maybe local bar? fill growlers.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ah. Didn’t really there were so many. I’m not a beer drinker, so it’s not something I’ve kept close track of.

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

Ah. Didn’t really there were so many. I’m not a beer drinker, so it’s not something I’ve kept close track of.

The IV Market, 7th Son, North High, Barley’s, Barrel & Bottle and soon to be Hoof Hearted and I imagine Ram will as well. It’s not a very distinguishing feature within a mile radius. Moreover, I never see people footing around with a freshly filled growler.

smegs
    smegs
    Participant

It would be sweet if the owners did a community feedback / survey monkey of products/brands that would sell. I’m sure some assumptions could be made there, but it would be nice to get involved.

SixOne4ever
    Participant

Although this is a win for the Short North, I don’t think this is a long term solution, especially as more and more apartment developments go in on High St. As Nancy H mentioned, the big box stores (Kroger south of OSU’s campus, Giant Eagle on Neil, The Market on Summit) are not feasible for a Short North resident to walk for groceries. Walkability is all about time/travel time and those locations are out of the question. I realize one can take public transit or the CBUS, however, the discussion is about a truly walkable, full-service urban grocery option in the heart of the Short North, separate from relying solely on car or public transit.

I agree with CB_downtowner. The options of easily drivable grocery store options are great here in Columbus and we should definitely be thankful. However, until we start challenging our Midwestern mentality of always driving to the grocery, then we will never see such urban concept come to fruition in our urban neighborhoods, like the Short North. I also agree with King Gambrinus, that something should go into Two25 once it’s built. As more and more developments go in and around The Commons, I think Two25 will be a great location and opportunity for a big chain, urban grocery store concept.

WJT also said something interesting, about an Urban Target or something like it going in around OSU. I would love to see Edwards Communities/University Area Review Board/other developers bring something in like a WalMart Express, as they begin their massive development/redevelopment on High St, near campus.

Comparing apples to oranges here:
    When I lived in Chicago, I absolutely loved how each neighborhood had multiple walkable grocery store options. For example, look at the Google map of my old neighborhood, Lake View East/Boystown/Wrigleyville. There are four grocery store options within a 1/2 mile radius of each other: Treasure Island, Jewel-Osco, WalMart Express, and Whole Foods. Once again, I do understand it’s Chicago, and Columbus is nowhere near Chicago in many regards, but this should be very intriguing.

Oats and Barley Market going into the old Oxygen Fitness is great, however, as several people have mentioned, a store dedicated to filling growlers, selling craft beers/specialized wines, select grocery options, etc. is sort of overkill based upon how many other local places provide the same services, especially filling growlers. If that’s what the owners are really excited about, then they may be emphasizing the wrong product/service. It seems like it will have a Whole Foods vibe, so I think it would be in their best interest if they highlight the grocery items more so than filling growlers, since there are limited grocery options in the Short North.

Overall, I think Oats and Barley Market will do fine, but right out of the gates, this store arguably won’t be able to accommodate the ever increasing Short North/Italian Village population when it comes to grocery needs. And it simply doesn’t have the market reputation and clout as what a Kroger, Giant Eagle, or Jewel-Osco. At this point, I think the only game changer in the Short North urban grocery store concept conversation would be if the aforesaid big box brands came in with their own respected urban concept.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE