Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Urban Grocery Store Concept in the Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Urban Grocery Store Concept in the Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author

SixOne4ever
    Participant

Is the Short North ready?

From a walk-ability and 24/7 convenience standpoint, for those who live on High Street, neighboring Victorian Village and Italian Villages, the Short North would be a great location for an urban style, full-service, but scaled down grocery store.

Currently there are a few locations near the Short North (Kroger on High, just South of campus, and a Giant Eagle on Neil). but in terms of a truly walk-able grocery store (5-10 minute walk from one’s residence), that’s not a dollar store or UDF), there isn’t a good Short North grocery option. Adding such business to the Short North would be an incredible asset to making the area even more livable and walk-able. A perfect location would be on the corner of Hubbard and High (currently a parking lot) for example.

I’ve visited many urban grocery stores like: Trader Joes, Wal-Marts, Whole Foods, and Jewel-Oscos and really love the convenience and walk-ability of each one; cannot beat the simplicity of walking down the street to get your groceries for the week. This conversation becomes even more interesting when Kroger, an Ohio-based grocery store chain, just recently announced they’re experimenting with an urban concept (http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/12/22/kroger-testing-whole-foods-like-store.html).

Do you think the Short North is ready for an urban style, walk-able grocery store? Do you think there needs to be more people living in the Short North and surrounding neighborhoods to make this concept a sustainable business? Do you think the big grocery chains (Kroger, Giant Eagle, Wal-Mart, Jewel-Osco) have conceptualized such idea to be located in the Short North already and are just waiting for the residential population to increase? What are your thoughts?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Definitely ready. Just need someone willing to make the leap.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I absolutely think the Short North could use this kind of concept. I actually think the former Open Book space at 687 N. High would be a great location for this. If it’s laid out well, I think it could be plenty of space for a great urban grocer.

The former Rigsby’s spot could also work.

Nancy H
    Participant

I think the ideal location would be along North Fourth. Somewhere between First Avenue and Fourth Avenue. That would position it conveniently for existing residents of IV, as well as all the new residents moving into Weinland Park and the Jeffrey Site. The west side of High (Victorian Village) has easier access to the Neil Avenue Giant Eagle and the newer Market District GE in Grandview Yard.

My preference would be for a regular grocery store like a scaled down Krogers, Hills Market or Giant Eagle. A scaled down Wallgreens or CVS next door would be great too. While we are dreaming… throw in a seasonal Farmer’s Market in the parking lot.

As much as I love Trader Joe’s, they are a bit too upscale for the average person’s or family’s regular grocery purchases. Although I always wished they would replace the Dollar Store with a TJ. The DS location was originally a SuperDuper (small local grocery chain from the 1940’s through early 1970’s)

mbeaumont
    Participant

I think the ideal location would be along North Fourth. Somewhere between First Avenue and Fourth Avenue.

How about combining the five retail/office spots in this upcoming renovation for an urban grocery? Would probably impact The Market IV, but if you’re going to build one on Fourth St, this is a great location with plenty of car/bike/scooter/motorcycle parking in the middle of a super walkable neighborhood:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/italian-village-retail

Nancy H
    Participant

How about combining the five retail/office spots in this upcoming renovation for an urban grocery? Would probably impact The Market IV, but if you’re going to build one on Fourth St, this is a great location with plenty of car/bike/scooter/motorcycle parking in the middle of a super walkable neighborhood.

Perfect spot for it!

I have only been in the Market a couple of time but think of it as more of a specialty bodega. We need those too, but for a good walkable neighborhood people need someplace to pick up the basic stuff like a quart of milk, pantry staples or toilet paper.

Putting a real grocery within easy walking distance to the large block of subsidized housing (between First & Second and Mt Pleasant & Summit) would promptly put UDF out of business. Right now the UDF is their main grocery store. Most of the seniors, families and single parents living in the subsidized housing don’t own a car. Neither the Neil Ave Giant Eagle or the 7th & High Krogers are walkable for them, so they are pretty much forced to buy overpriced convenience foods at the UDF.

lbl
    Participant

Ive always wondered why the Jeffery Park developers didn’t include something like this. Its almost purely residential with exception of Hoof Hearted and Go Fitness.
    with such a dense area, there would certainly be a ready consumer base.
    are there any open lots large enough that could fill in with a grocer? or has everything been spoken for?

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I hate to rain on the parade, but with a newer Kroger (just a mile up high from Goodale and High, the beginning of the short north) and a new Giant Eagle Market district (just about 1.2 mi west of High), plus the older Giant Eagle on Neil even closer I don’t really see a another grocer in the short north. I think something super specialized like the Market in Italian Village is the extent of what we’re going to get.

I could see something like a CVS or a Walgreens taking up residence in the first floor of one of the newer buildings, but I think that’s as close as you’ll get to a grocery store. Also if this happens get ready for roughly a million comments on the death of the short north and a nostalgia for crime and decay that I’ll never understand.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

I like the idea of using the dollar store building, since it was originaly? a grocery store, and how exactly does the dollar store afford the rent?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I’m pretty sure there was a plan for one of these awhile ago but I can’t find the thread.

Also the North Market is suppose to be a grocery market right? ;)

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

Trader Joe’s has already purchased the Dollar Store building and will begin work this spring.

…in my deepest fantasy.

SixOne4ever
    Participant

Yaa maybe a Trader Joes or Whole Foods would be a little too pricey for the Short North. However, the salaries of people living in the Short North is higher than the city’s average salary (http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Short-North-Columbus-OH.html); survey is a tad bit old, but I’m sure the averages have stayed fairly consistent, so maybe it would make sense a Trader Joes or Whole Foods would come in?

If anything, I think this new Kroger concept called Main & Vine (link above) would fit perfectly in the heart of the Short North, like mbeaumont said in the old Open Book location. King Gambrinus has a point, from a grocery store chain/google map perspective there are already several grocery store options within a “short distance” of the Short North. Urban grocery store concepts are appealing to very local residents, such as the 1000-1500 or so residents of the Short North (living within 5-10 min walking distance, separate from taking public transit). Someone that lives on High and Price wouldn’t walk all the way up to the Kroger on High near campus, nor the Giant Eagle on Neil. It’d be interesting to find out how many German Village residents walk to the Giant Eagle location on Whittier or how many residents (not students) walk to the Kroger on High near campus.

All growing Columbus neighborhoods should start looking into urban grocery style concepts (not land consuming large box stores), just like what IBL said in the Jeffrey Park area. If the City truly wants vibrant and lively neighborhoods, the local walk-able urban grocery store would be an ideal anchor for a neighborhood, making it appealing to new Cbus residents.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

All growing Columbus neighborhoods should start looking into urban grocery style concepts (not land consuming large box stores), just like what IBL said in the Jeffrey Park area. If the City truly wants vibrant and lively neighborhoods, the local walk-able urban grocery store would be an ideal anchor for a neighborhood, making it appealing to new Cbus residents.

This is the key.

I do not think our city leaders in development or otherwise agree with this just yet.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

How about Trader Joe’s? People who live there should make one of those online petitions and send it to them.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I think everyone has been saying this for years but will people actually shop at a micro urban grocery store?

Also people like to bring up the sunflower place that went under at the gateway.

If it were up to me, we’d have little bodega shops on every corner it the grocery essentials. There are plenty of vacant shops throughout Victorian Village and Italian Village that would be perfect. Yet in my heart of hearts I doubt the masses would take to them and would rather get in their cars and drive to the major players for their gas points and favorite shower gel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO