Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Update - Arena District development

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Update – Arena District development

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

FYI, it sounds like the next phase of the district is set to get underway soon. I just did an appraisal in North Bank Tower and the sales manager told me that construction on the apartment complex north of the tracks on Vine is set to begin in Nov. or Dec. An office building and parking garage would begin soon after or mid 2010. I asked for renderings but none were available. She said she would send some to me as soon as they were available. She did say it would be brick…surprise, surprise. Probably about the same height as the other buildings….surprise, surprise. Part of the reason I like North Bank Tower so much is that it breaks from the monotony of the brick and 7 story buildings. Give me 8 or 10 stories and I’ll be happy. Mix it up a little. Anyways, if I find out anything else or get some renderings I will let you all know.

A couple of lots down, a ton more to go.

XLD

Dispatch article on this –

“Nationwide Realty Investors is scheduled to unveil plans for Flats on Vine at Tuesday’s meeting of the Downtown Commission.

The project, in the works for more than a year, will consist of two U-shaped, three-story apartment buildings and a two-story building that will house a fitness center and community room for residents.”

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2009/09/26/Nationwide_apartments.ART_ART_09-26-09_A8_3PF6GEE.html

CbusIslander
    Participant

If the designs haven’t changed much from a few years ago, the apartment complex, I believe will be wood frame construction and similar to the Annex at River South. The office building(s) will be facing Nationwide Blvd between the arena and huntington park. They will be the same height and style as the rest of the district. (several stories high with ground floor retail) I believe the parking garage was to be a large several story structure. (1000+ spaces?)

Another apartment / condo complex is/was planned between where the parking garage would be located and be facing neil north of the planned office buildings.

I am happy to hear that this next phase which has been on hold will be moving forward soon.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Requesting more info from NRI right now. They’re usually pretty speedy at getting details to us. Will share ASAP.

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

Only 3 stories seems like such a waste. I will be interested to see the plans/renderings.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

3 stories of frame built housing = waste of space. Is this what downtown has come to? They should have went higher. I do realize that to get costs down, wood frame construction is the way to go. I just wish they would stop building everything to look almost exactly the same……brick boxes. This goes for the office buildings as well. Mix it up.

That being said, 1.) one less parking lot. The Vine St. parking lot mega eyesore is slowly getting smaller 2.) affordable units 3.) 300+/- new residents to the district. I can see these units filling up fairly quickly. I’m curious to see how they handle the slope down to Neil and Vine.

I hate to complain too much. I’m definately more for it than against it. It just seems that everytime something is proposed, whoever may be developing it, I am disappointed with what we are getting.

Does anyone know the timeline for the additional office space and parking garage. I was told early next year but the sales person I talked to wasn’t exactly sure. I imagine the next apartment complex is a few years away.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jpizzow wrote >>
    I hate to complain too much. I’m definately more for it than against it. It just seems that everytime something is proposed, whoever may be developing it, I am disappointed with what we are getting.

That’s because most hardcore urban enthusiasts have a project grading scale of:

100-92 = A
    91-0 = F

;)

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

buildings were approved, they are three story brick, similar to what’s already there. the parking lot is in the rear, against the railroad tracks, there is also parking under each building. it is surrounded by sidewalks. they are studios and 1-2-bedroom flats renting for $700-1500. construction starts asap.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

jpizzow wrote >>

That’s because most hardcore urban enthusiasts have a project grading scale of:
    100-92 = A
    91-0 = F
    ;)

Unfortunately, that’s about what my grade scale consists of. I have to expect a little more out of urban development as opposed to suburban.

$700-$1500….now that sounds great. Like I said, I don’t think they will have any trouble renting these out and maintaining high occupancy. I wander if there is a pool or workout facility….lizless??

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

yep, a pool between the two buildings, towards the rear (near the train tracks). there’s a large pool building facing vine, the pool is behind it. not sure about a work-out facility, possibly inside the pool building (it’ a two story building).

somertimeoh
    Participant

Arena Crossing has both, not sure why the new property wouldn’t offer similar amenities. Though now that I’m thinking about it those prices are less than Arena Crossing’s current market rate (at least as of a few months ago when I was looking to go back) so maybe that’s why?

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

the developers tell us it’s very similar to arena crossing, just a different type of building.

Stewz
    Participant

Here is a link to a story on msn about the development. It states that there will be a pool and workout facility. Also, it appears they will incorporate the parking lot behind Lodge Bar and Garage Bar.

null

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

From Business First:

Ellis said the apartment project will have 165 one-bedroom or studio apartments and 67 two-bedroom units. The rent will range from $700 for a studio to about $1,500 for a two-bedroom unit.

“It’s a mix that worked well at Arena Crossing,” Ellis told the commission.

The project, designed by Sullivan Bruck Architects Inc., also will have an outdoor swimming pool and a lower-level fitness center for residents. Plans call for 229 parking spots for residents underneath the complex and another 71 in a surface lot for residents and visitors.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I really enjoyed my year in Arena Crossing. It was a great way to get introduced to Columbus and find out what neighborhood I wanted to settle down in. I’m glad this is going to have a similar ratio. I got lucky with my studio (couldn’t live without a balcony), but when I looked a few months ago there was a waitlist. I don’t foresee any problems filling those apartments up. Very cool!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE