Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

University District Master Plan

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development University District Master Plan

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  c_odden 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

City, OSU Have High Hopes for New University District Plan

Published on September 25, 2013 6:00 am

By: Brent Warren

The City of Columbus held the first of four public meetings on the future of the University District last night. The meetings are part of a year-long process that will result in a new plan meant to guide development in the area for the next ten years.

Planning Administrator Vince Papsidero said that the plan will address issues such as land use, urban design, redevelopment and future infrastructure investments. He also stressed that while the University District presents some unique challenges (like scarce parking and other issues that stem from having dense student housing in single-family neighborhoods), it also has some unique strengths.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/city-osu-have-high-hopes-for-new-university-district-plan-bw1

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

So, round two was last night. It was good to see that the folks in the development department took to heart many of the recommendations from round 1. It will probably make the new urbanists sad, but the proposed low to mid density areas were greatly expanded and the high density areas restricted to High St. and the core student housing areas.

Links are for the various presentations and comment forms.

Link to project website:
    http://development.columbus.gov/universitydistrict.aspx

Link to online version of the public workshop:
    http://development.columbus.gov/univdistrpwsurvey2/

Link to Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Columbus-Planning/115991001536#!/pages/University-District-Plan/335476576589018

jbcmh81
    Participant

The parking standards are what is most problematic. 2 spaces for every house? 1.5 for every multi-unit? That’s just asking for a lot of teardowns for surface parking. And the height maximums are too low across the board. You have tons of buildings right on campus that are higher than any of those maximums, but on High, you can’t go taller than 72 feet? Come on.

Pablo
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    The parking standards are what is most problematic. 2 spaces for every house? 1.5 for every multi-unit? That’s just asking for a lot of teardowns for surface parking. And the height maximums are too low across the board.

That’s the existing standard.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Pablo said:
    That’s the existing standard.

I’m not sure how that changes the point. It’s too high.

Pablo
    Participant

If current housing meets code, there shouldn’t be more parking lots constructed. I’m not sure if the parking requirements are too high. Most students drive to their off campus housing and park their cars. They might not use them everyday. Until there are other transportation options where kids from Wapakoneta or Warren can get here without their car, there have to be parking options. Maybe a remote lot? When I was a student my parents drove me to school and dropped me off and I walked. But those were the ’80s and times have changed.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Pablo said:
    If current housing meets code, there shouldn’t be more parking lots constructed.

I’m talking about new projects more than existing. Not to say that every new build will go the surface route, but it leaves that door wide open. I would also imagine that reduced parking requirements would help spur additional development in the area.

Pablo
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    I’m talking about new projects more than existing. Not to say that every new build will go the surface route, but it leaves that door wide open. I would also imagine that reduced parking requirements would help spur additional development in the area.

The View on High seems to be building underground parking but that’s an extreme example. Other large projects might have structured parking.

News
    Participant

Density and Parking Revisted in Draft University District Plan
    Published on February 13, 2014 10:15 am
    By: Brent Warren

Since kicking off the University District planning process in September, the city’s Planning Division has been compiling input and drafting a land use plan to bring back to the neighborhood for further review. About sixty people attended a meeting on February 11th in which those recommendations were presented. The proposals include new guidelines for density and changes in the amount of parking developers are required to provide for new residential projects.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/density-and-parking-revisted-in-draft-university-district-plan-bw1

c_odden
    Participant

Semi-bump:

You’ve got about a week to submit feedback for this round: http://columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?ekfrm=66539

Yes, a lot of the questions are double-barreled, some ask if you support something only Ultra-Hitler would oppose, and #6 asks you to support or not support a statement about the role of design guidelines, but there are open-ended options to provide more nuanced responses and getting public feedback is a step in the right direction. And, if you’re a skeptic at heart, submitting online puts your feedback in the publicly subpoena-able public record.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: