Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Underutilized High St properties in the SN

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Underutilized High St properties in the SN

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

ehill27
    Participant

Since there aren’t many surface lots or other severely underutilized properties (i.e. single story set back) left along High St in the Short North, I though it would be interesting to have a thread to keep track of the holdouts. Excluding the properties that already have proposals, including White Castle, the two single story buildings across from Northstar, the adjacent Donatos, Rebecca Ibel, and the metered lot south just south of Buttles, I believe that leaves the following properties:

* CheckSmart
        * UDF (including gravel lot to south)
        * Family Dollar (including lot to south)
        * Strip Mall at Price
        * Metered lot north of White Castle
        * House of Cigar
        * Metered lot north of Magnolia

Perhaps debatable, but I’ve intentionally given a pass to YOHI, La Fogata + Huiku, and the original Late Night Slice since they seem to contribute a certain worthwhile astetic to the neighborhood. However, feel free to quash that sentiment. :) The first three are at least up to the sidewalk.

MichaelC
      MichaelC
      Participant

Fun thread.

How about the building adjacent to Mike’s Grill, across from Bakersfield?

King Gambrinus
      King Gambrinus
      Participant

If I had a preference it’d be that gravel lot just south of UDF. It’s just a big blank canvas in a great location. Next I’d tackle the Family Dollar and the little lot you mention. It just seems so run down and has a really poor face to the street. I’d also like to see something move into that building across the street from Family Dollar. That little one story building is beautiful, but seemingly empty?

I also don’t mind the strip mall. It’s full and well maintained. Plenty of other things to tackle first.

Walker Evans
      Walker Evans
      Keymaster

Great thread! I’ve thought about putting together some sort of list of this type in the past, and actually just talked with Brent about it a few weeks ago and maybe doing a little more digging to find out who owns each parcel and what the long-term plan is… an owner looking to sell? develop? Or just holding out?

Jason Powell
      Jason Powell
      Participant

I thought I read somewhere that the plan for the strip mall on Price was for Woods Co. to redevelop with mixed use within the not-to-distant future. I also don’t see the CheckSmart property remaining as is for too much longer.

Mike88
      Participant

I’d love to see that Checksmart go first. After that hopefully existing spaces can be filled up then tack the rest of this listas I agree there is plenty of growth left on high.

The tall skinny building between Arch City and Short North Tattoo needs to finish its never ending ren-no and get rented. And The comment about the place next to Mikes Grill, I totally agree what is going on with that building??? How have those store fronts been vacant for so long?

dru
      Participant

And The comment about the place next to Mikes Grill, I totally agree what is going on with that building??? How have those store fronts been vacant for so long?

From CU in May 2012 – https://www.columbusunderground.com/pm-gallery-planning-relocation-after-32-years-in-the-short-north
      ‘The owner of the building where PM Gallery resides was investigated by the IRS on charge related to tax evasion, which Galloway became entangled in through her business relationship with her landlord. Offices were raided, charges were filed and the investigation has run its course. “They agreed to drop multiple charges against me down to one charge if I plead guilty and testified against my landlord,” says Galloway. “He was found guilty two weeks ago, and he served me with an eviction notice last week”.’

heresthecasey
      Participant

Good idea for a thread!

I would add the front lawn of Bollinger to the mix as well. When it was undergoing its facelift a few years ago, there were initially rumors that it would include one or two floors of retail space to be built in front of the tower. Even though it didn’t end up happening, I think this is still a great idea worth pursuing because it would go a long way toward fully activating this stretch of High St and provide some additional income for the tower and its residents.

My other nomination is for the Greystone Apartments’ parking lot at Hubbard. If they could somehow manage to fit structured parking underground, on a smaller portion of the site, or work out a shared agreement with the Hub garage, that would make a great spot for another new build retail/residential project.

Pablo
      Participant

The Grandview Mercantile building is one story – eventually this could be a redevelopment site. The building site appears to be just a tad smaller than the Dakota.

ehill27
      Participant

Well, this one wasn’t on the list, but there is a narrow High St facing surface lot that (I assume) will be replaced by this proposal:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/4th-high-redevelopment-stonewall-columbus

Jason Powell
      Jason Powell
      Participant

I actually like the green space in front of Bollinger tower. It helps to give a breather between all of the storefronts and makes for a more visually interesting stretch. One of the problems I have with the Short North is the lack of green space along High St. Pedestrians need places to linger.

wpcc88
      Participant

I actually like the green space in front of Bollinger tower. It helps to give a breather between all of the storefronts and makes for a more visually interesting stretch. One of the problems I have with the Short North is the lack of green space along High St. Pedestrians need places to linger.

I’m with you on that.. as much as I love density you have to have a break every once in a while, after all we aren’t actually in NYC or Chicago with sidewalks wide enough to go 20+ people wide

Schoolboy
      Participant

That Checksmart is my #1 gotta go. Shouldn’t even be a legal business in the first place without better restrictions on how much they can charge.

The old Garden Theater had been on my list for years, but someone told me they have actually reopened.

Would also like to remove the parking spaces from the list, unless of course they are replaced by better parking alternatives.

Walker Evans
      Walker Evans
      Keymaster

The old Garden Theater had been on my list for years, but someone told me they have actually reopened.

Yeah, they’ve been doing shows there for nearly three years now…

http://www.shortnorthstage.org/

Schoolboy
      Participant

Good deal. I’m glad it’s back in use. Must have reopened after I had moved away around 3 years ago. A lot has changed since I’ve returned.

Actually walked through with a friend before I had left who was interested in buying it, but he felt it needed too much restoration work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER