Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Uber to End Surge Pricing, Allow Tips

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Uber to End Surge Pricing, Allow Tips

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I’ve never tipped using uber. If I can tip through the app maybe, but if it requires me to have cash on me that’s not going to happen.

I’ve also never seen (nor do I know how to) my rider rating. But I still get picked up whenever i need to be.

Mike88
    Participant

But let’s be real… the main reason people use Uber is because of the technology and the app, especially in Col

I would say that was the case at the start but I think anymore it has a lot less to do with the App and a lot more to do with the service. I mean yellow cab has an App now but I don’t see lots of people switching.

I have found Cabs here to be incredibly shady in their practices and poor in their service. The fact that all of that costs more than Uber, and you’re basically obligated to tip is the absolute kicker.

both mine and complaints of people I know with Cabs here have been…
    – Terrible Service, rude drivers
    – Drivers intentionally taking long routes
    – Drivers pretending too or actually getting lost while they run the meter
    – Drivers not arriving when they say they will

pez
    Participant

I’ve never tipped using uber. If I can tip through the app maybe, but if it requires me to have cash on me that’s not going to happen.

I’ve also never seen (nor do I know how to) my rider rating. But I still get picked up whenever i need to be.

If you are curious, you can go to the help menu in the app and choose account. You’ll see an option for ‘I’d like to know my rating’, which will show it.

drew
    Participant

^^ but conversely, won’t the cost of a cab ride adapt to the (cheaper for now) cost of an Uber ride?

Not if the taxi companies realize it’s not profitable to compete with Uber, and that Uber’s current pricing is unsustainable.

None of that is to say that Uber won’t continue to be preferred by many over cabs for all sorts of legitimate reasons, just that they won’t be as cheap as they are now.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Not that Tom wrote:</div>
    ^^ but conversely, won’t the cost of a cab ride adapt to the (cheaper for now) cost of an Uber ride?

Not if the taxi companies realize it’s not profitable to compete with Uber, and that Uber’s current pricing is unsustainable.

None of that is to say that Uber won’t continue to be preferred by many over cabs for all sorts of legitimate reasons, just that they won’t be as cheap as they are now.

It’s my understanding that taxis can’t entirely compete with Uber because they fall under regulations that require them to service all addresses within an area when possible at the same rate. Uber can pick and choose what neighborhoods to go to, or not and they can raise the price to go somewhere that they don’t really want to go. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

jmiller10
    Participant

I completely agree with people’s sentiments on cabs around Columbus. Uber has always been easier, more reliable, and convenient. While I love the idea of ending the surge charging, I’m not thrilled about tipping. While I do feel it’s a common courtesy, I just never have cash on me. I’ve once or twice been in a uber where the driver had posted signs that basically asked for tips. It was uncomfortable as a passenger to sit in the car knowing I had no way to tip them. If it was built into the app, similar to how square does it with percentage options, then I wouldn’t mind at all. Hopefully uber is considering that.

Mike88
    Participant

It’s my understanding that taxis can’t entirely compete with Uber because they fall under regulations that require them to service all addresses within an area when possible at the same rate. Uber can pick and choose what neighborhoods to go to, or not and they can raise the price to go somewhere that they don’t really want to go. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

It’s funny you mention this, two weeks ago when I was in Chicago we were having a conversation with our Uber driver and she basically said the opposite was the case there. I’m unsure if it’s different here in Cbus, but our driver there said Uber would service neighborhoods cabs refused to drive to there.

Of course Cbus and Chicago are very different types of cities so I’m in the dark as to the regulations here.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Never affected me here, but I stood next to a friend in Vegas with a 4 star…we both ordered an Uber going different places…he was picked up 25 minutes after me.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

… two weeks ago when I was in Chicago we were having a conversation with our Uber driver and she basically said the opposite was the case there. I’m unsure if it’s different here in Cbus, but our driver there said Uber would service neighborhoods cabs refused to drive to there.

Of course Cbus and Chicago are very different types of cities so I’m in the dark as to the regulations here.

Uber can charge differential rates. As I understand it, Taxi Cab companies have to charge the same rate per minute to go to Whitehall as German Village. At the same time, Uber has the benefit of guaranteed payment. Not all cab companies have that.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

If you are curious, you can go to the help menu in the app and choose account. You’ll see an option for ‘I’d like to know my rating’, which will show it.

thanks, 4.73 stars… guess I’m ok not tipping after all

JessicaJ
    Participant

I always tip my Uber driver. Seems strange\cheap not to.

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

I always tip my Uber driver. Seems strange\cheap not to.

Except for one of the prominent service and marketing features for Uber has been a seamless, cashless transaction.

pspock
    Participant

I always tip. I don’t want to be one of “those people”.

pez
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>pez wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div><br>

thanks, 4.73 stars… guess I’m ok not tipping after all

I’ve still got a 5 and I would rarely tip because I thought it was part of the app payment. Still consider my best tip as letting the driver know that driving 60 in a 35 MPH zone through Worthington was not a great idea. One would certainly hope that these companies were monitoring their analytics to discourage this behavior.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

Nice, never knew you could do that.

I’ve never tipped when using Uber, but that’s been because they discourage it. Not having to tip is one of those things that just contributes to it being a seamless process. I actually don’t mind surge pricing, I get the supply and demand side of it. They make the extra rate pretty transparent. I’d have more issues if they tried to hide it.

However, if they’re changing things I’d rather they just increase the base fare and keep the no tipping policy.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: