Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

UA Taco Bell on W Henderson Rd/ COSI on Bethel Rd

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining UA Taco Bell on W Henderson Rd/ COSI on Bethel Rd

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

JB05
    Participant

susank said:
    That Kmart is a large, old and outdated building. I remember it used to include a car service center. I am thinking they will probably tear it down as it is too large for a wig shop and too valuable of a location for an indoor flea market.

I would hope so. The plaza is becoming dated, and isn’t very pedestrian-friendly. The odd one-ish design of the central ‘road’ isn’t even that car friendly, for that matter.

Still, I think MicroCenter and CAM International Market serve as sufficient secondary anchor stores. I don’t know how much pressure the owner is actually under to get the KMart site leased.

I know that, with a WalMart on Bethel & Sawmill, and a Target both at Lennox and Sawmill & 161, it’s unlikely another mega-retail tenant will fill the spot.

reepjp

I think an REI would be great in this location!

DavidF
    Participant

reepjp said:
    I think an REI would be great in this location!

+1 Or anywhere in Columbus for that matter.

Patch
    Participant

DavidF said:
    +1 Or anywhere in Columbus for that matter.

I always found that they we way overpriced/only sold at retail prices.

Why not support Outdoor Source, Everest Gear, Clintonville, Outfitters, etc?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Yep they crunched that Big Bear. It was unusual for its skylights; it seemed so big and bright in there compared to other groceries. The light in the store varied with the sunlight, like on a partly cloudy day.

The Kmart center was not built all at once. There was a Kresge in Kingsdale, and they moved out into the wide open countryside of Bethel/Olentangy. Sort of a micro–Polaris. For a long time that was the only store. Then the developers added on toward the west, which helps explain the goofy traffic layout. The MicroCenter site was a Central Hardware, and there was a big propane tank next to the west side of the building.

On the old maps, at the intersection of Kenny and Bethel is a town named Olentangy. Before the railroad bridge, Kenny continued across Bethel at a grade crossing and that roadbed is Postlewaite now. You can stand on Kenny and see how the utility poles line up on Postlewaite. The Refectory really was a refectory, there was a convent there.

http://sciotoriverfriends.org/historical/dublin_southeast.jpg

Hack that URL for more maps.

The original railroad bridge abutments were that classic rectangular-cut sandstone. I wonder what happened to those blocks.

wpcc88
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    Bethel is hurting. I hope it doesn’t acquire Morse Rd syndrome.

The only part that is hurting is the K-Mart buliding and the old COSI.. I would hardly say the area is going to hurt from those two businesses.. There is plenty going on towards that end to label it as ‘hurting’

RhondaH

The whole Bethel experience seems awful and dated to me. It is like two miles of strip malls that then meet up to another two miles of strip malls at Sawmill. Yuck.

TailgateJeff
    Participant

susank said:
    That Kmart is a large, old and outdated building. I remember it used to include a car service center. I am thinking they will probably tear it down as it is too large for a wig shop and too valuable of a location for an indoor flea market.

Giant Hookah Bar?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

What seems dated to me about the area is the lack of design for pedestrians. Bethel has sidewalks, but look at Reed or Kenny, you have to walk on whatever shoulder there may be. Godown is worse in some places, brush hangs over the pavement and you have no choice but to walk in the lane of traffic.

They only recently put a bike path along Henderson from Kenny to Reed, but from Kenny to 315 there’s just a muddy goat path next to a 50 mph road. UA put sidewalks along Kenny only in the last two or three years. And the sidewalk along EN Broadway is maybe two years old.

JB05
    Participant

alexs said:
    What seems dated to me about the area is the lack of design for pedestrians. Bethel has sidewalks, but look at Reed or Kenny, you have to walk on whatever shoulder there may be. Godown is worse in some places, brush hangs over the pavement and you have no choice but to walk in the lane of traffic.

They only recently put a bike path along Henderson from Kenny to Reed, but from Kenny to 315 there’s just a muddy goat path next to a 50 mph road. UA put sidewalks along Kenny only in the last two or three years. And the sidewalk along EN Broadway is maybe two years old.

#1. Thanks for the maps you posted previously – really cool!

#2. I agree about the lack of pedestrian and bicycle facilities in the area, but Godown is slated to receive sidewalks south of the high school in 2014. So is Dierker south of Bethel, though I doubt it will link up with the Kroger just north of the intersection.

Also, this spring the city is supposed to continue the bike path East down Henderson, leading it into the Knolls and over the pedestrian bridge to the Olentangy Trail. A sidewalk is to be extended all the way to the Henderson & Olentangy River Road intersection.

Even Kenny Road’s sidewalks will become more contiguous soon, as the car wash lacking sidewalks next to Kenny center is slated to have a new Taco Bell constructed there.

I noticed that even the new Marathon station at Bethel & Godown installed bike parking! I expect the area to look more like Clintonville and less like the suburbs in the coming years.

tolemac5050
    Participant

COSI bethel to be a Moe’s

GCrites80s
    Participant

WELCOME TO BETHEL, MOES!!!!!!!!!!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

GCrites80s said:
    WELCOME TO BETHEL, MOES!!!!!!!!!!

I just laughed out loud. (but not *that* loud)

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION