Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Two25 17 Story High Rise Proposed for SE Columbus Commons

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Two25 17 Story High Rise Proposed for SE Columbus Commons

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 304 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

+1. The Dispatch article says the land is being purchased for an “undisclosed sum.” Is that not public information?

Not sure. Might be because it’s CDDC/Capitol South and not the City of Columbus selling?

We’ll have to ask about that at a later date. Brent talked to him at 12:45pm today, so any questions asked here after that didn’t make the cutoff.

dubdave00
    Participant

Sidenote: Hopped on Google Maps to look up some of this stuff and noticed downtown can now be browsed in 3D… Sorry if that’s old news, but it’s pretty cool.

WJT
    Participant

I love it! I hope they can add a few more floors of either office or residential..why not? I would think the demand for the residential alone could add several floors. I love this and 250 South High…good looking mixed use buildings in great locations.

Fur614
    Fur614
    Participant

I agree WJT. I recently read that the availability downtown office space is reaching new lows. Would hate to see them cap at 17 if they could reasonably “anticipate” that additional sq. ft. could be leased very quickly by the time they completed the project.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I love it! I hope they can add a few more floors of either office or residential..why not?

Or better yet… build a third building. ;)

ohbr
    Participant

I love it! I hope they can add a few more floors of either office or residential..why not?

Because sometimes your capital on hand limits what you can do and unless you have a commitment to fund the extra space, you can’t afford to just add floors expecting someone to move in. And like Walker eludes to, maybe filling in another parking lot or, as I’m a fan of, building on top of the garage, in the future is better in the long run. With this and 250 they could have built 1 32ish story building but I think multiple mid sized high rises is a great place to start. Perhaps these, and whatever they announce for North Bank and at Gay and High will be in to 10-15+ range as well ushering out the standard of 5 story buildings. One can only hope.

ColDayMan
    Participant

I’m pleased.

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>

Or better yet… build a third building. ;)

I would be very happy with that as well…especially if it was over a surface parking lot. If they can add some to it, great. If they don’t, I won’t be disappointed.

The 2010 downtown plan called for 10 or more floors if possible in the main downtown area, and this (and the now ten floor Beatty Building) certainly meet that. I am satisfied.

With this, Highpoint(ugh..had to say it), The LC buildings, The Julian, 250 South High, etc there must be at least 1000 residential units coming soon to just this small area around the Commons.

They said all along they were wanting something fairly ‘big’ in this location, but 250 South High was a huge surprise. I hated that 400 foot stretch of parking lot/blank ugly garage wall for 25 years, and hoped at the best something more like Highpoint might fill in that stretch…250 South High is more than I ever could have hoped for that location. And this building looks to be even better than that.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

With this, Highpoint(ugh..had to say it), The LC buildings, The Julian, 250 South High, etc there must be at least 1000 residential units coming soon to just this small area around the Commons.

960 total, not including the original Annex at RiverSouth (another 206 units).

If you factor in 1.5 residents per unit (a mix of one and two bedrooms for the most part), you’re talking about 1,440 new residents in the immediate area, or 1,749 including the Annex.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Can’t imagine why there’d be any problem with the skywalk, aside from an unhealthily nuance-free devotion to the urban planning dogma of the moment.

Pretty sure the fact that skywalks take people off the streets has always been true, and is not, in fact, part of any previous, current or future urban dogma. It’s not going to make or break the project, I just don’t like it and don’t think it works to help increase Downtown’s street vibrancy.

News
    Participant

Interview: Brett Kaufman on Two25, the 17-Story Columbus Commons Proposal
    March 26, 2015 7:00 am – Brent Warren

Yesterday the Daimler Group and Kaufman Development announced plans to build a 17-story mixed-use development off of Columbus Commons. If approved, the project would be the tallest building added to the downtown skyline since the 20-story Condominiums at North Bank Park was completed in 2007. We caught up with Brett Kaufman for a brief chat about the proposed building — he shared some details about the scope of the project and the factors that have shaped it’s design so far:

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/interview-brett-kaufman-on-two25-the-17-story-columbus-commons-proposal-bw1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pretty sure the fact that skywalks take people off the streets has always been true, and is not, in fact, part of any previous, current or future urban dogma. It’s not going to make or break the project, I just don’t like it and don’t think it works to help increase Downtown’s street vibrancy.

The skywalk is probably highly important to office tenants who want attached parking.

The skywalk is probably a-little-less-but-still-important to residents who want attached parking.

The skywalk is probably detrimental (not sure to what degree) to retailers who want the office and residential tenants of the upper floors exiting from the ground floor by their businesses and not bypassing them with the skywalk.

So… we’ll probably end up with a new skywalk.

bkaufman
    Participant

Thanks Walker and CU for the opportunity to share our project. I’m always free to chat with anyone and answer questions on the project. We are excited to share and discuss.

BK

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions from us “members” of CUnderground.

This is not specific to your planned development, but what sense do you have of the immediately surrounding neighborhood’s upcoming changes that make another investment in this part of downtown so attractive?

Thanks for all you do and for your continued investment in Downtown Columbus!

Mike88
    Participant

Thanks Walker and CU for the opportunity to share our project. I’m always free to chat with anyone and answer questions on the project. We are excited to share and discuss.

BK

Very excited about your project and I can’t wait to see more in the way of updates in the future.

I’m actually very pleased with the early phase design and hope that any future changes are additions and not subtractions. And FWIW when designing the rentals do you plan on including small-mid size private balconies off the units? I know it’s pry more costly but a lot(but not all of course) of new rental/condos on the market seem to be lacking in private outdoor space.

Oh, And I know I’m pry dreaming on this one but some for sale 2-3 bedroom units in the 300-350k range would be pretty swell haha.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 304 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: