Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Two25 17 Story High Rise Proposed for SE Columbus Commons

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Two25 17 Story High Rise Proposed for SE Columbus Commons

This topic contains 303 replies, has 60 voices, and was last updated by  Mike88 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 304 total)
  • Author
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Walker: What will the street setback be? Enough for sidewalk seating? What will the pricepoints for the apts be? Did they ever consider including a small percentage of income based units?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Fingers crossed this will finally drive land values up enough that Greyhound rethinks their massive footprint across the street!

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>
    Will the Holiday Inn invest into itself? What other improvements/developments would fit in this part of Downtown?

The Holiday Inn is currently undergoing a Complete interior renovation. (New walls, flooring, bathrooms completely redone, furniture, curtains, new lobby and restaurant space). As of the end of the year /late winter, for all intents and purposes, it will be a brand new hotel on the inside. Not sure if they have any exterior plans in the works but that may be down the line.

At one point, several years ago, Holiday Inn released some incredible renderings for exterior improvements. It looks like all that ever happened with those was an updated paint job.

Pro Se
    Participant

Excellent point, Josh! Let’s hope that it also drives prices up on the opposite side of the corner so we can get those lots filled in. I know the guy that owns 175 on the Park has some models of what he would like put on the SE corner of Third and Rich.

And let’s also hope that this development at a minimum motivates the City to invest in a modernization of those 90s storefronts on Third in the parking garage. Echo earlier comments that residential atop the garage would be the best possible outcome.

Fur614
    Fur614
    Participant

I’m excited to see another high-rise come to downtown Cbus! When’s the last time anything larger than 15 stories has been built? It will be great to see some newer contemporary architecture too.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eridony wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div><br>
    Ugh. Anyone else disappointed they didn’t try and make it Match Highpoint for more continuity?

No, I think this looks much better than Highpoint. It’s nice to have different types of architecture too.

Edit: Sarcastic Me was being sarcastic.

Haha, sorry. It’s hard to tell sarcasm in text form!

futureman
    Participant

For downtown, North Bank @ 20 stories around 2006/2007. Outside of downtown the new OSU James hospital is 21 stories and opened up this past December.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Anyone have specific questions for the developers (Kaufman/Daimler)? We’re reaching out to talk to them more about this news this afternoon. ;)

Can you ask about whether the skywalk will be open for use by everyone? Having to cross Rich Street at the existing mid-block crosswalk is often a game of chicken.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>
    Anyone have specific questions for the developers (Kaufman/Daimler)? We’re reaching out to talk to them more about this news this afternoon. ;)

Can you ask about whether the skywalk will be open for use by everyone? Having to cross Rich Street at the existing mid-block crosswalk is often a game of chicken.

Never had that much of a problem at the marked crosswalk, had to shoot a couple nasty glares to a few drivers who almost didn’t see me but that’s about it. I wouldn’t want to encourage non-resident/worker foot traffic to use a sky-bridge as an exit from the parking garage.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I like the initial idea of the building design, but skywalks are so 1980s and I really think they detract from the walkability/pedestrian vibrancy goal. They’ve been proven to keep people off the street and out of local businesses.

Pablo
    Participant

That was the biggest negative of the mall – people would park in the garage, cross the bridge and not engage the city at all. I understand the need for parking for residents since we’re not there yet for a carless lifestyle for most of the people who would live here. There can be a connection made to the underground garage similar to Highpoint. Highpoint isn’t located immediately adjacent the garage so a tunnel was built. I believe a tunnel could connect to the lower level beneath the vehicular entry ramps. Is CDDC encouraging the bridge to sell more parking spots in their massive above ground garage?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

That was the biggest negative of the mall – people would park in the garage, cross the bridge and not engage the city at all. I understand the need for parking for residents since we’re not there yet for a carless lifestyle for most of the people who would live here. There can be a connection made to the underground garage similar to Highpoint. Highpoint isn’t located immediately adjacent the garage so a tunnel was built. I believe a tunnel could connect to the lower level beneath the vehicular entry ramps. Is CDDC encouraging the bridge to sell more parking spots in their massive above ground garage?

It would be an ambitious and costly undertaking to tap into the underground garage because of the location of the entrance ramp. The tunnel would have to stretch halfway into the Commons to skirt it from the south or dig up a stretch of the small street (Damian St. according to Google maps, who knew?) and then maneuver around all the garage mechanics located on that side.

J.Benner
    Participant

Reading between the lines; I wouldn’t be surprised if the first floor retail space is one of the previously discussed Whole Foods sites.

Also, now that NRI has essentially finished the office portion of the Arena District, spec office development has now returned to the core; i.e. 250 S High and now Two25.

Pablo
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pablo wrote:</div>

It would be an ambitious and costly undertaking to tap into the underground garage because of the location of the entrance ramp. The tunnel would have to stretch halfway into the Commons to skirt it from the south or dig up a stretch of the small street (Damian St. according to Google maps, who knew?) and then maneuver around all the garage mechanics located on that side.

There’s a cost, certainly, but small compared to the overall budget. The rendering omits the vehicular entry structure – the proposed building looks to be about 50′ from the garage structure on the Damian Pl side. I believe the space beneath the ramps is empty, perfect for a pedestrian tunnel.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I’m all for killing the sky-walk if it’s possible, maybe that’s where a city incentive comes into play, to fund the tunnel?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 304 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: