Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Two25 17 Story High Rise Proposed for SE Columbus Commons

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Two25 17 Story High Rise Proposed for SE Columbus Commons

This topic contains 303 replies, has 60 voices, and was last updated by  Mike88 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 304 total)
  • Author

Pro Se
    Participant

Hot damn, The Dispatch is reporting that Daimler and Kaufman are proposing a 17+ story high rise at the SE corner of Columbus commons! Ground retail, 5 stories of office and remainder residential at this prominent site with willingness to go higher if demand is there. Could break ground late this year.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Here’s the link, which includes a rendering.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

It just amazes me how wildly successful the Commons has become. A number of people (mostly Dispatch commenters) were convinced it would be a massive waste of taxpayer dollars and do nothing, and it’s been the complete reverse. Great news for Columbus.

Pablo
    Participant

ohbr
    Participant

Ugh. Anyone else disappointed they didn’t try and make it Match Highpoint for more continuity? Once this is completed can we change the name of those buildings to LowPoint? [insert dead horse meme] ;-)

Anyway, looks fantastic and the flexibility is awesome so we can all secretly hope for a major tenant to push the height to 20+ stories.

Pablo
    Participant

They should consider a connection to the garage under the park instead of the bridge over Rich. That’s what Highpoint did.

ohbr
    Participant

If I understand correctly and based on the construction, Highpoint connects to the garage under the commons only. Two25 will connect to the above ground garage accross the street so I don’t think tunneling is an option because that garage doesn’t have any below grade parking.

Side note: if only they would consider adding residential and/or office on top of the existing Commons Parking Garage with updates to its exterior (like multiple developments in Cincy), imagine what a complete image that would be.

News
    Participant

17-Story Mixed-Use Building Announced for Columbus Commons
    March 25, 2015 9:19 am – Walker Evans

When the plan to redevelop the old city center mall into Columbus Commons was originally announced in 2009, the master plan included a central park space with new apartment and office buildings lining both sides of the park. The Highpoint at Columbus Commons buildings were developed to fill in the west side of the site along High Street, and today The Daimler Group and Kaufman Development announced plans to fill in the final piece of land on the east side of the site with a 17-story mixed use tower.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/17-story-mixed-use-building-announced-for-columbus-commons

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Ugh. Anyone else disappointed they didn’t try and make it Match Highpoint for more continuity?

No, I think this looks much better than Highpoint. It’s nice to have different types of architecture too.

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>
    Ugh. Anyone else disappointed they didn’t try and make it Match Highpoint for more continuity?

No, I think this looks much better than Highpoint. It’s nice to have different types of architecture too.

Edit: Sarcastic Me was being sarcastic.

Mike88
    Participant

Wow!
    This is fantastic and I love the comment from the developer in the article that said they would be willing to increase the height of the building should potential leasers step up and want more office space. It’s incredible how quickly the commons has attracted so much growth and development so quickly. I’m excited for the completion of these projects. Once people start moving in in earnest that strip of retail on high will begin to fill up I suspect.

Also two side comments…
    1. I actually like the idea of a skywalk to the garage, but that’s just me I think cross street skywalks can be pretty neat.
    2. I think this is going to push development of the flat top lots nearby and help bridge that bit of a deadzone between the commons and the whole 16-bit/dirty franks/little palace strip.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Agreed with Mike88–the domino effect will be fun to watch. Will the Holiday Inn invest into itself? What other improvements/developments would fit in this part of Downtown?

I do hope the demand is such that they’re incentivized to make it taller–not because 17 stories isn’t “enough” but just because that’s an awfully good sign for our downtown’s health.

And agreed with OHBR–assuming it could handle it, that garage would seem ripe for vertical growth (or at least a more aesthetic façade).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anyone have specific questions for the developers (Kaufman/Daimler)? We’re reaching out to talk to them more about this news this afternoon. ;)

jerdo87
    Participant

I am sure this was already on your list, but if they have already spoken to businesses interested in first floor spaces. How large these retail spaces would be?

ohbr
    Participant

Will the Holiday Inn invest into itself? What other improvements/developments would fit in this part of Downtown?

The Holiday Inn is currently undergoing a Complete interior renovation. (New walls, flooring, bathrooms completely redone, furniture, curtains, new lobby and restaurant space). As of the end of the year /late winter, for all intents and purposes, it will be a brand new hotel on the inside. Not sure if they have any exterior plans in the works but that may be down the line.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 304 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Got 5 minutes? Please take our 2019 demographic survey and tell us a bit about yourself and share your thoughts on how CU can improve!