Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Two New 15-Story Towers Proposed Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Two New 15-Story Towers Proposed Downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 145 total)
  • Author

CB_downtowner
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>wpcc88 wrote:</div><br>
    If the convention center lost 70,000 square feet of floor space for these towers it was the correct move. That honestly may have caused the city to lose the Arnold and knock us out of contention immediately for other large conventions. Because of that I believe the correct call was made; plus it would look extremely out of place at that site. Spread the wealth, there are still plenty of spots available for infill in downtown proper to have stretch on projects like the one that was proposed.

Even if they had gone with the single proposal that called for that loss, it could’ve been more than made up for between the two towers, so I don’t buy that excuse at all. This was about the Hilton, period. I saw the Dispatch came out with another rosy story about the project today, and I can only imagine that the convention authority has seen the backlash and is doing it’s best to spin mediocrity and terrible design into something great.

There is an 11-story building not half a block away from this site, and even taller ones on the other side of the very same block.

Ok but all of those examples are not surrounded by one story buildings, not sure how that is difficult to comprehend.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2014/03/27/cornering-a-space.html
    That sure doesn’t look like a bad use of height to me. I’m not sure what you’re talking about. By that measure, why would they built height for the Hilton or the Pizzuti buidings?

I agree with everyone else. What a freaking waste of taxpayer money. If you’re going to spend the money, spend it right.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

There were some additional spec details in the downtown commission meeting minutes from last month (http://columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Columbus/Departments/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Downtown_Commission/Meetings/2014/DtCommResults-5-14%20May%2027.pdf).
    96′ height for the garage with space on the top deck for events. I chuckled when I read “Goodale Street would have a new, fancy façade”.

Bill Jennison, Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority, currently there is a 200 space surface parking lot north of the convention center. The new structured parking would have 800 or so vehicles. The garage would be sited as far to the east as possible, in order to leave some developable land closer to High St. There could be a 300 to 500 room convention hotel, but that is premature. Immediate plans are to renovate the existing convention center, which is 20 years old. Some exterior work will be done as well. Expanding the convention center to the north is a third option. Goodale Street would have
    a new, fancy façade.

Dave Brehm, NBBJ. Garage fulfills needs for convention center but also for the Short North. Architectural modeling was shown. The entrance to the garage and cueing was strategically placed. The roof of the garage would be used for events. Ramps will be confined to the eastern side. There are great views of downtown from the top of the garage. The open garage roofs would be about 96 feet from the ground.

wpcc88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>wpcc88 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>wpcc88 wrote:</div><br><br>
    If the convention center lost 70,000 square feet of floor space for these towers it was the correct move. That honestly may have caused the city to lose the Arnold and knock us out of contention immediately for other large conventions. Because of that I believe the correct call was made; plus it would look extremely out of place at that site. Spread the wealth, there are still plenty of spots available for infill in downtown proper to have stretch on projects like the one that was proposed.

Even if they had gone with the single proposal that called for that loss, it could’ve been more than made up for between the two towers, so I don’t buy that excuse at all. This was about the Hilton, period. I saw the Dispatch came out with another rosy story about the project today, and I can only imagine that the convention authority has seen the backlash and is doing it’s best to spin mediocrity and terrible design into something great.

There is an 11-story building not half a block away from this site, and even taller ones on the other side of the very same block.

Ok but all of those examples are not surrounded by one story buildings, not sure how that is difficult to comprehend.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2014/03/27/cornering-a-space.html

That sure doesn’t look like a bad use of height to me. I’m not sure what you’re talking about. By that measure, why would they built height for the Hilton or the Pizzuti buidings?

I agree with everyone else. What a freaking waste of taxpayer money. If you’re going to spend the money, spend it right.

Look I am not opposed to fronting High and Goodale. I think that something between 4 & 10 stories would be plenty for that particular corner.

News
    Participant

Opinion: Convention Center Hotel Cancellation Worst Downtown News of 2014
    June 22, 2014 11:35 am – Walker Evans

We’re not quite half way through 2014, but I’m going to go ahead and call it. The decision made last week by the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority (FCCFA) to abandon a massive private development expansion is going to be the biggest blow to Downtown Columbus in 2014.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/opinion-convention-center-hotel-cancellation-worst-downtown-news-of-2014

RonDo
    RonDo
    Participant

Columbus enjoys playing the role of pretender. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis laugh in our general direction.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Something is not quite right. Here’s what Experience Columbus CEO Brian Ross had to say in an interview in May 2013:

“I can tell you right now, when you look at the ten cities that we compete against, our convention facility is probably in the top three or four. When you look at our hotel rooms package around the convention center, we’re in the bottom three or four. So we can still add more hotel space, even with the addition of the Hilton. The Hilton just got us to where we can start competing again. The Convention Center’s been running at about 55% occupancy. To get it to run at 72% — which is what we consider to be optimal, we’re going to have to increase our hotel rooms. So that’s something we’re looking at down the road. We first have to fill in what we’ve just brought in to the market, so that’s our immediate goal.”

MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/new-experience-columbus-ceo-brian-ross-sees-much-potential-for-the-growth-of-columbus-tourism

wpcc88
    Participant

Columbus enjoys playing the role of pretender. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis laugh in our general direction.

I respectfully disagree; Pittsburgh you may have something but Cincinnati to me is not any more impressive than what we already have going here. All the hub-bub about Cleveland is just a clever marketing scheme. The Euclid Corridor project is half empty, the Flats project is an absolute mess and the Medical Mart/Convention Center is an average project at best. Also their new county building has been plagued with, you guessed it political corruption. Cleveland has not changed at all for the good. I will take everything going on in Columbus over Cleveland and Cincinnati any day of the week.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Something is not quite right. Here’s what Experience Columbus CEO Brian Ross had to say in an interview in May 2013:

Interesting. I feel like an interview request might be in order. ;)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

That IS interesting.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I would have to say Cincinnati is a more well known world class city than Columbus. They are both totally different in everything pretty much though. When is comes to an urban environment I would have to say Cincinnati wins hands down.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Yes, the timing of everything is what strikes me as the oddest part.

In November, the convention center announced the new Goodale garage.
    In December, it was learned that the garage was being planned with ground-floor retail.
    In the middle of March, the convention center announced a $30 million renovation.
    Two weeks later, in late March, private development proposals were released, after being solicited.
    2 1/2 months later, it all mysteriously disappeared without so much as any explanation, in favor of a more generalized, $125 million publicly-funded renovation.

Something tells me that between the end of March and the middle of this month, someone with some influence stepped in and killed it. Any idea who might have the contract to do the renovation work?

heresthecasey
    Participant

Channel 6 recently picked up on this story, though mostly with random comments from uninformed people found on the street.

No one from any of the development companies, city, county, or convention authority were interviewed on camera.

Also, they mentioned that Columbus City Council approved the parking garage at their meeting this past Monday, so construction will begin in October – strange that they left that rather large item off of the agenda/press release they send out every week.

Convention Center Hotel Plans Scrappedhttp://www.abc6onyourside.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/convention-center-hotel-plans-scrapped-32731.shtml

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

After seeing that video, every citizen should be required to take an urban planning class.

“Columbus, Ohio has enough hotels.” and then the one woman who complained about competition.

Good job Columbus!

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

An unsubstantiated thought: Seeing Walker’s picture of the excellent view from the Joseph, it seems clear that a pair of 15-story towers would have obstructed that view of downtown. One wonders if Pizzuti and Co., along with Le Meridien, articulated their presumed concerns regarding that obstruction with some powers that be.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

An unsubstantiated thought: Seeing Walker’s picture of the excellent view from the Joseph, it seems clear that a pair of 15-story towers would have obstructed that view of downtown. One wonders if Pizzuti and Co., along with Le Meridien, articulated their presumed concerns regarding that obstruction with some powers that be.

Obstructed the view or added to it? When your view is Downtown buildings, a new project would add another element to the skyline.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 145 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: