Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Two New 15-Story Towers Proposed Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Two New 15-Story Towers Proposed Downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 145 total)
  • Author

AngelaMotorman
    Participant
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I used that unnecessary quote mark to demonstrate there is a public and private funding matter probably in place here. Let me propose a few questions. Did the developers approach the cc or was it the opposite? If cc approached, did cc release the designs to the public or did the developer? At the end, who’s money was going to be used for each element of the design, the remodel, the hotel, the retail/apartments? How much for for each element?

My understanding is that the idea was initiated by a private developer.

I don’t know if I have answers to the rest of your questions.

geoyui
    Participant

Their spin machine is on overdrive trying to sell this wasted opportunity.

BTW, I like the graphics with the big no signs.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Reddit, cynicism ensues.

FTFY. ;)

Lu
    Participant

Not too surprised by this. The Convention Authority doesn’t seem very concerned about the pedestrian “dead zones” around the convention center. Their design of the Hilton has zero pedestrian amenities – it’s just a long glass wall along High Street. Seems like such a missed opportunity given the location.

AngelaMotorman
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>AngelaMotorman wrote:</div>
    Reddit, cynicism ensues.

FTFY. ;)

I saw what you did there.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CbusIslander wrote:</div>
    Do we know from the “private” developers how much money they were going to step up with? I got the feeling from the private developers proposals that the convention center was asking for their expert advise on the potential uses for the site and nothing more. No where did I see what money the private developers were willing to step up with to make them reality.

The situation would have been a heavily subsidize with public cash to create. One of which we just got done doing.

I think you’re overstating some things and just flat out incorrect on others.

One private (no “need” for “unnecessary” “quotes”) developer brought the proposed project to the table with an attached hotel developer. The land is owned by the Convention Authority, so I imagine they would expect a deal on either buying or leasing the land to build the project. They would likely apply for grants for the project, as most developers do for any kind of project located anywhere.

The opposite was done for the Hilton Hotel. The Convention Authority couldn’t get a private developer to build, so they built it themselves. The Convention Authority owns that hotel. It was done entirely as a publicly owned project. The Convention Authority contracts with Hilton as a property management group. Hilton does not actually own any part of the building if I’m not mistaken.

So you can see why the Convention Authority might reject a private development plan to build a second large-scale hotel right next to the one they own themselves. They’re afraid of the competition on the hotel side, even if it does help on the convention side.

Even if they didn’t want a competing private hotel, they could’ve still expanded the convention upwards and still incorporated ground-floor retail, and residential still could’ve been privately built atop garage space across Goodale. The sole focus on the hotel aspect from them is kind of baffling. There were other ways to improve this site without including a hotel at all.

tlb919
    tlb919
    Participant

Yep… 2 days later and I am still bitter about this. I have lost all respect for the Convention Authority. Was downtown for Moonlight Market last night and decided to take a look at the space for the expansion along Goodale that’s supposedly the better option… It’s basically a 15 foot strip of space. We are seriously loosing a multiple tower, mixed use, pedestrian friendly development to push the damn convention center 15 feet towards the road. -_-

I know its beating a dead horse but how… just no. I really hope the city tells them no (not likely though) Rant over.

wpcc88
    Participant

If the convention center lost 70,000 square feet of floor space for these towers it was the correct move. That honestly may have caused the city to lose the Arnold and knock us out of contention immediately for other large conventions. Because of that I believe the correct call was made; plus it would look extremely out of place at that site. Spread the wealth, there are still plenty of spots available for infill in downtown proper to have stretch on projects like the one that was proposed.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…plus it would look extremely out of place at that site.

A 15-story building would look out of place Downtown? Huh?

WJT
    Participant

If the convention center lost 70,000 square feet of floor space for these towers it was the correct move. That honestly may have caused the city to lose the Arnold and knock us out of contention immediately for other large conventions. Because of that I believe the correct call was made; plus it would look extremely out of place at that site. Spread the wealth, there are still plenty of spots available for infill in downtown proper to have stretch on projects like the one that was proposed.

Actually they only said one of the proposals called for that much space. And they did not say if that was exhibit space or not. Also, it seemed the main concern was exhibit space, as in the Exhibit halls C,D,E, and F. A hotel could wrap like an ‘L’ around the northwest corner of the site and take up no exhibition space- there is a wider space along Goodale closer to High, and the part along High looks like it would only have impacted the Terrace ballrooms, etc. and not the exhibition space. And the non-exhibition space is exactly where you can go vertical and have more than one story. Take a look at the layout of the convention center here, see where the big open exhibit space is, and then take a look an Indy’s center-and see how they have a double decker section over the non exhibit area.

Actually I think they could have made this work, and still have added the sliver of exhibition space along the northeast half of Goodale to halls E and F. That strip along Goodale(to the sidewalk) is about 100 or so feet wide at the west, narrowing to about 30 or so on the east. They could still get possibly get 5,000-10,000 sq feet along that, and more if they just had the hotel part along High only(I believe the main hotel was to go there, with the boutique one along Goodale, and the residential north of Goodale, if memeory serves).

Hell, to sum up, I call b*llshit like so many others and think this is just a single agency looking out for it’s own narrow and short term interests(they are all caught up in that Hilton and all, can’t overlook that vested interest) at the expense of the greater community, and then have the gall to present this inferior plan like it is some great gift to the city. Please.

Yeah I am still bitter too. Not sure why but this disappointment is just , well, more intense. All of the talk of the High street spine and the 2010 plan and connecting the good ‘pieces parts’ of High(like the Short North and Downtown)..and then they pull this.

*end rant..sorry for the length*

wpcc88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>wpcc88 wrote:</div>
    …plus it would look extremely out of place at that site.

A 15-story building would look out of place Downtown? Huh?

At that particular corner, yes it would. It’s not like the buildings on the cap are going to get a 5 story addition any time soon and same with the church.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Even if they had gone with the single proposal that called for that loss, it could’ve been more than made up for between the two towers, so I don’t buy that excuse at all. This was about the Hilton, period. I saw the Dispatch came out with another rosy story about the project today, and I can only imagine that the convention authority has seen the backlash and is doing it’s best to spin mediocrity and terrible design into something great.

There is an 11-story building not half a block away from this site, and even taller ones on the other side of the very same block.

wpcc88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>wpcc88 wrote:</div>

Even if they had gone with the single proposal that called for that loss, it could’ve been more than made up for between the two towers, so I don’t buy that excuse at all. This was about the Hilton, period. I saw the Dispatch came out with another rosy story about the project today, and I can only imagine that the convention authority has seen the backlash and is doing it’s best to spin mediocrity and terrible design into something great.

There is an 11-story building not half a block away from this site, and even taller ones on the other side of the very same block.

Ok but all of those examples are not surrounded by one story buildings, not sure how that is difficult to comprehend.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

At that particular corner, yes it would. It’s not like the buildings on the cap are going to get a 5 story addition any time soon and same with the church.

Does it matter that skyscrapers are across the street from the Statehouse?

There’s plenty of examples of height variety Downtown. That variety is not a bad thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 145 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: