Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Two New 15-Story Towers Proposed Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Two New 15-Story Towers Proposed Downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

HOLY MOLY THOSE FACEBOOK COMMENTS! Walker, is it in poor taste to allow us to create a thread where we ostracize awful CU facebook comments?

(Sigh)

Yeah, that would probably be in poor taste. ;)

Keep in mind that these two stories got a combined 43k+ impressions, 290+ likes, 90+ shares and many positive comments on Facebook in the past 24 hours.

Generally, we’ve noticed a very small handful of outspoken antagonizers who practically *live* on Facebook. Same goes for Twitter and Instagram. Same even goes for the forums here. But that doesn’t mean that the repeated negative rantings of a very few select individuals should carry much weight when compared to the overwhelming masses of people who are either supportive, positive, or at the very least indifferent on any given topic.

Some people just don’t like change. *shrug*

goldenidea
    Participant

While the NBBJ design is very nice artistically, I prefer the Wagenbrenner design because it better enhances street-scape and walkability. It features more prominent ground floor retail spaces and the balconies that give building inhabitants direct access to the street and outdoors. As is, the convention center, while a very nice modern building when viewed from a distance, especially from above, is not so interesting to those walking around outside of it. A more street-focused development like Wagenbrenner’s will help to offset the convention center’s drawback and will better tie the street-focused Cap and Short North buildings to the convention center.

joev
    Participant

I like the idea of developing that land. I think condos are a bad long-term strategy, though. They aren’t making new space around the convention center and having hotels connected/nearby is one of the best amenities when selling the city to convention planners. Retail: good. Hotels: good. Condos: not good.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I like the idea of developing that land. I think condos are a bad long-term strategy, though. They aren’t making new space around the convention center and having hotels connected/nearby is one of the best amenities when selling the city to convention planners. Retail: good. Hotels: good. Condos: not good.

From the Convention Center’s standpoint, yes, more eventual hotel and meeting space would be the long-term growth plan.

From an amenities standpoint, I would think that the Convention Center also wants to sell the fact that it’s built into an integrated neighborhood that offers an authentic, vibrant experience surrounding it. Currently, it has some of that with the Short North and Arena District, but to the south there’s not a lot, to the east there’s not a lot, and along Goodale, there’s not a lot.

So, more retail and experiential things are needed.

But for retail and other things to thrive, you need more year-round residents and not just convention traffic. Hence the need for apartments/condos/etc.

I would agree with you if the Convention Center was getting short on developable land, but there’s still plenty of room to grow eastward (and upward) if need be.

geoyui
    Participant

While the NBBJ design is very nice artistically, I prefer the Wagenbrenner design because it better enhances street-scape and walkability. It features more prominent ground floor retail spaces and the balconies that give building inhabitants direct access to the street and outdoors.

This is my hangup with the NBBJ design. Maybe it just was not clearly exhibited in the rendering, but if the NBBJ design can incorporate the WB retail/streetscape/walkability components, that would be a winner. Maybe this is also why they seem to be leaning towards WB’s design?

InnerCore
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>goldenidea wrote:</div>
    While the NBBJ design is very nice artistically, I prefer the Wagenbrenner design because it better enhances street-scape and walkability. It features more prominent ground floor retail spaces and the balconies that give building inhabitants direct access to the street and outdoors.

This is my hangup with the NBBJ design. Maybe it just was not clearly exhibited in the rendering, but if the NBBJ design can incorporate the WB retail/streetscape/walkability components, that would be a winner. Maybe this is also why they seem to be leaning towards WB’s design?

From the looks of it the NBBJ design only has buildings at the corner. So even if you put retail on the ground floor your still going to have that long stretch of dead space as you go south on high st. The WB design runs further south and works to solve that problem.

geoyui
    Participant

The WB design runs further south and works to solve that problem.

That’s what I’m hoping the NBBJ design accidentally ommitted from their rendering. Trying to find the best of both concepts.

The interesting thing is that there are still 2 RFPs out there that has yet to be shared.

InnerCore
    Participant

That’s what I’m hoping the NBBJ design accidentally ommitted from their rendering. Trying to find the best of both concepts.

The interesting thing is that there are still 2 RFPs out there that has yet to be shared.

I highly doubt they accidentally omitted a 3rd building. Looking at their rending you can still see the existing corner entrance. They’re implying that they plan to build on the empty space.

From what I gather WB/Rockbridge decided to come up with a plan for a very extensive renovation. Because the land isn’t private they could simply go to the convention center to try and work out a deal. So in order for the convention center to consider it they had to put out a public RFP. However because it was WB plan they didn’t detail everything in the RFP. As a result the other people who looked at the plan weren’t thinking about doing a renovation of that size. They looked and saw the obvious empty lot as well as the empty space by the convention center and tried to come up with a more practical/easy solution.

I’m extremely interested in see the other proposals as well. Especially Starwood, they have the most capacity to get an extremely large scale project done.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Most developers don’t share anything at this point in the process, so I’m not holding my breath that we’ll have much detail released from the other two.

My understanding is that the two released are the grander proposals of the four.

geoyui
    Participant

I highly doubt they accidentally omitted a 3rd building.

I meant the streetscape/ground floor retail that goes along high street south of the cap. But I understand your point.

I’m extremely interested in see the other proposals as well. Especially Starwood, they have the most capacity to get an extremely large scale project done.

+1 on starwood’s potential.

ETA: just saw walker’s post. DOH!

buckeye54
    Participant

It’s interesting to me that starwood is on board. I’m guessing this would be a W or maybe an aloft hotel which would probably go well with the le meridian that is currently being constructed. I would have to think another westin that close to the westin at the great southern would cannibalize their business although what do I know. This project along with the le meridian and the hotel that was initially talked about at a renovated leveque would really give travelers many more options and assist in attracting tourism/conventions for the region. I always thought leveque would be a great building for the 21C brand or at the very least a ritz-carlton.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Wow. Both of the proposals shown have a lot of positives. An additional full-service hotel, more retail space, apartments, and parking would really help enliven the area, activate space which currently is dead weight, and further bridge the boundary between Downtown and the Short North.

I think more apartments/condos are a good fit for the wedge-shaped parcel where they’re proposed here, and also would be great to see on some of the underutilized properties further west surrounding the North Market/Park Street. Selling the convention center and all of its visitor amenities as being embedded within this great Columbus neighborhood would be a huge win. Also, additional permanent residents in the immediate vicinity will add vibrancy to the area, even when a large convention or other special event is not taking place.

Regarding the Convention Center facade, I don’t mind Wagenbrenner’s proposal which includes major alterations to the north (1998) addition. This was a cheaper add-on to the original design, and was not completed by Eisenman’s firm, or to the same level of quality/detail as the original project. Adding additional retail to the main building itself would be a positive move as well, but I’d hope it would be more sensitive and well-integrated with the existing architecture.

Pablo
    Participant

…and also would be great to see on some of the underutilized properties further west surrounding the North Market/Park Street

I’ve always thought this could be the location of cool, modern apartment towers. Views of the city and Goodale Park, easy walk to the North Market and the SN. Could probably locate several 15-25 story towers between Park and Neil.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

saw this funky monkey of a tree building on the yahoo yesterday, seems a bit more friendly that the glass and steel battleships that are proposed.

white tree building

white tree 2

http://www.domienova.com/blog/article/274-france-soon-to-build-futuristic-tree-building-enter-the-mind-of-crazy-architects-and-take-a-look-at-this-funky-building

combs1ng
    combs1ng
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Long time reader but first time poster:

I rather like the the Wagenbrenner rendition. It may have some similarities to the campus setting but I think the overall footprint is much more attractive than the Daimler design – I do not care for the “reflective glass/steel” look even if the building is a little more “creative or cutting edge”. Not to begin an unrelated discussion but I eventually would like to see an anchoring Skyscraper for Columbus. I do understand that all of these medium rise buldings are necessary and a precursor to such a building. But just for the sake of it, I wouldn’t mind seeing something like this anchoring Columbus (a little taller and less reflective though):
    Potential Columbus Anchor
    Sorry, don’t know how to upload pictures yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 145 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: