Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Two New 15-Story Towers Proposed Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Two New 15-Story Towers Proposed Downtown

Viewing 10 posts - 136 through 145 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

From the perspective of the Joseph, would the two formerly proposed towers have blocked the view of many of the Downtown buildings? Perhaps not, hard to surmise the angle and perspective.

I’m not suggesting, of course, that the overall view of an addition to the skyline wouldn’t be improved. But from the perspective of the Joseph, if your view of the entirety of the skyline were limited to much less of the skyline, that probably wouldn’t be considered a plus.

Edited to add: To be clear, I’m not suggesting that such is a good reason to have reversed field on these plans, nor am I suggesting that the plans shouldn’t have gone forward. I’m extremely disappointed that the plans were scrapped. I only mean to suggest an explanation, albeit merely guesswork, of what might have led to the reversal.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

A building next to the Joseph would block the view. Towers down the road would help the view. It’d be a refreshing view compared to the one that’s currently available.

I’m disappointed in the fact that this probably is the end for the Wagenbrenner design. That area is something that many out of town guests pass through. It would make for a much better gateway to downtown to have something a little more dressed up and active at the street level.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Not that I would expect a completely honest answer, but the convention authority brushed aside the project with little to no explanation. I would like to see some kind of official word on why the project wouldn’t have worked or didn’t fit in with their vision. Or why a 100% publicly funded renovation makes more sense than having a private partner.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Obstructed the view or added to it? When your view is Downtown buildings, a new project would add another element to the skyline.

+1

I think the construction of hotel and apartment towers at the convention center would have added to the experience of both the view and the area in general: more visual interest, more vitality, more energy.

heresthecasey
    Participant

The Convention Center renovation project has been rubber-stamped by county commissioners,

Commissioners approve borrowing for convention center facelift

Work will soon start on a $125 million renovation and expansion project at the Greater Columbus Convention Center. Members of the Convention Facilities Authority, which operates the center, got permission yesterday from the county commissioners to borrow money to cover the cost of the project.

The authority has said that it will spend the money to complete a “face lift” of the building, including a 36,000-square-foot expansion of exhibit space and fit and finish upgrades intended to mirror the quality of the new Downtown Hilton Hotel.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/07/22/Commissioners_approve_convention_center_facelift.html

wpcc88
    Participant

don’t know where the thread is for the parking garage but construction has begun

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

don’t know where the thread is for the parking garage but construction has begun

Here ya go:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/new-convention-center-parking-garage-proposed-along-e-goodale/page/3/

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Some needed branding and street-scape improvements added to the renovation for the area I still dream of someday playing host to a train platform…

From bizfirst –
    http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/09/11/first-look-convention-centers-revamped-high-street.html

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Very sharp. Simple and sharp.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

I saw the thread title and got exciting thinking this was a new announcement :(

Viewing 10 posts - 136 through 145 (of 145 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: