Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Two New 15-Story Towers Proposed Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Two New 15-Story Towers Proposed Downtown

This topic contains 144 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by Eridony Eridony 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 145 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Two 15-Story Towers Proposed at Convention Center
    March 25, 2014 10:15 am – Walker Evans

The Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority is shopping for redevelopment ideas for the northwest corner of their Downtown footprint, and they’re inviting developers to dream big. Their board is currently reviewing four proposals for the site, one of which has been in the works by Wagenbrenner Development for around a year.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/two-15-story-towers-proposed-at-convention-center

geoyui
    Participant

wow! Is it possible to see renderings of all the proposals?

In the article:

Amicon says that Wagenbrenner approached both city officials and the convention authority to find out if they would be interested in allowing them to develop a limited-service boutique hotel concept at the southwest corner of Goodale and High.

Isn’t the Greek Orthodox Church on the SW corner? I guess it doesn’t matter since they want to go bigger. Just was curious. So the renderings in the article was for which corner of Goodale and High?

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Its the South-East corner of High and Goodale (you can tell from the image). That space is currently so wasted with the lack of storefronts and badly designed convention center addition in what is more or less the center of activity in Columbus.

geoyui
    Participant

Its the South-East corner of High and Goodale (you can tell from the image). That space is currently so wasted with the lack of storefronts and badly designed convention center addition in what is more or less the center of activity in Columbus.

Thanks, I wasn’t sure because the rendering provides quite the facelift for the convention center facing High (which is fine by me).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

wow! Is it possible to see renderings of all the proposals?

Working on it. ;)

Isn’t the Greek Orthodox Church on the SW corner? I guess it doesn’t matter since they want to go bigger. Just was curious. So the renderings in the article was for which corner of Goodale and High?

Typo on my part. Fixed.

This is proposed for the SE corner.

geoyui
    Participant

Assuming this goes thru, would this fall in line for a GOP/Dem 2016 convention timeline? 3 full service hotels directly connected to the convention center is big for Cbus’ tourism industry.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Assuming this goes thru, would this fall in line for a GOP/Dem 2016 convention timeline? 3 full service hotels directly connected to the convention center is big for Cbus’ tourism industry.

My guess is that it wouldn’t be finished in time.

Though what I initially heard about this project in January indicated that Rockbridge Capital (the hotel partner) is financially ready to get the project started as quickly as possible.

News
    Participant

Modern Towers Proposed for Convention Center Expansion Project
    March 25, 2014 12:05 pm – Walker Evans

Multiple companies have answered the call for new development on the north side of the Convention Center, including Wagenbrenner, Pizzuti and Starwood Hotels. A collaborative proposal has also been submitted from Daimler, Kaufman and Continental, which include two 12-to-15 story towers that would house a hotel, new residences, retail and office tenants.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/modern-towers-proposed-for-convention-center-expansion-project

jbcmh81
    Participant

It doesn’t appear that the convention center authority is ready to embrace the mixed-use proposals, and may be leaning, at this point, more to the strictly hotel ones based on this Business First quote:

Authority Executive Director Bill Jennison told me the full-service projects remain under active consideration with the determination the convention market needs full-service properties

He said the other projects will get reviewed and, ultimately, not get a green light for construction.

“Right now it’s just conceptual,” Jennison told me, with no timetable for a decision set. “We haven’t made a decision to do a mixed-use development.”</

geoyui
    Participant

The Daimler submissions seems to do less with the high street side of the convention. The article did mention there would be retail, but it appears to be less than the Wagenbrenner version.

I do like the design though, visually different and compelling.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

I support the Wagenbrenner version. I think if completed it will look better for that location than the other.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

I like them both, but I am leaning towards the Daimler, Kaufman and Continental. Very unique, I’m a fan of variety in the city.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

How fast is the timeline for this? 1? 2? 5 years? I hope that they don’t hassle this process too much. From what I’ve seen, the buildings are magnificently designed and mostly include mixed-use development. Im just excited to see construction cranes coming into Downtown from the West.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

How fast is the timeline for this? 1? 2? 5 years? I hope that they don’t hassle this process too much. From what I’ve seen, the buildings are magnificently designed and mostly include mixed-use development. Im just excited to see construction cranes coming into Downtown from the West.

What I heard back in January was that Rockbridge (the hotel developer on Wagenbrenner development) was financially set up to move forward ASAP.

I also heard that the review process “should take a few months”.

The official word today from the Convention Authority is that there is no specific timeline established at the moment for the current proposal review process.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

What I heard back in January was that Rockbridge (the hotel developer on Wagenbrenner development) was financially set up to move forward ASAP.

I also heard that the review process “should take a few months”.

The official word today from the Convention Authority is that there is no specific timeline established at the moment for the current proposal review process.

What a bummer, these proposals have huge potential and could dramatically transform the northern end of Downtown and the area around the Convention Center.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 145 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.