Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

FORNO - New Restaurant Coming to The Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining FORNO – New Restaurant Coming to The Short North

Viewing 7 posts - 106 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

News
    Participant

First Look: Forno Kitchen + Bar
    January 23, 2015 9:09 am – Rebecca Wagner

Forno Kitchen + Bar, located at 721 North High Street, has opened its doors. Sister restaurant of popular watering hole Short North Pint House, Forno’s food is cooked in a stone-fired oven (hence the name, which translates to ‘oven’ in Italian), with the menu including an array of pizzas, small plates, and and a heavily-stocked drink menu.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-forno-kitchen-bar-rw1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anne and I dined at Forno on Friday night with a group of eight for a friend’s birthday dinner and all in all we were pretty impressed. For being such a brand new restaurant, everything seemed to be firing on all cylinders on a very busy Friday night.

Favorite dishes at our table included the Ahi Tuna Tacos and Pork Belly Tacos (both in an awesome crispy wonton shell), Roasted Half Chicken, Pasta Forno, Forno Burger (ground in house with house-made bun) and all three wood-fired pizzas that we tried. Also, the Ricotta & Toast appetizer (with roasted peaches) was an underdog favorite at the table.

(Disclaimer: The staff sent over a few complimentary apps since we had to wait about 15-20 minutes past our scheduled reservation. The birthday girl also got a free slice of cheesecake at the end of the meal.)

We also enjoyed the jello shots off the drink menu. Didn’t know what to expect, but ordered them since it was a birthday dinner and they came out served inside of large hollowed-out strawberries topped with whipped cream. More of a dessert than a drink, but very tasty.

Also, special shout out to our server Neal (Neil?), who was top notch. Super personable, knowledgable and friendly. He had an old-school upscale vibe to his service style that you’d expect at a fancy steakhouse.

The year is still young, but so far this has been one of my favorite dining experiences of 2015. Will certainly be back again soon.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Walker, did you sit on the red or the blue side? I was there 2 weeks ago and we were seated on the blue side. My complaint would be that side is definitely setup for a more bar type atmosphere. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not scared of a bar,but that side is very narrow and with the small tables it just felt claustrophobic and I got the back of my chair kicked or bumped approximately 1,000 times. I’ll agree with the pork tacos and drinks were delicious. We also got the fries and a pizza. Those were good, but nothing too special in my opinion. I’d like to give it another shot if I could be sure I’d get seated on the more restaurant oriented side.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

The blue side looks tacky. They should have made it one consistent feel. Probably should get rid of the paper ikea looking shades around the lights too.

The food was ok. Pizza was well done but nothing stood out where I feel like I must return in the near future.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

I was there last weekend, and they sat us on the blue side. I wasn’t a big fan of the decor, and we kept getting a draft from the door, but the food was really good. I would have much rather been on the brighter side.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker, did you sit on the red or the blue side?

We were on the red side. We ordered some drinks on the blue side while we waited for our reservation to be ready and I can see where eating on that side might not be ideal for dinner customers. It did seem more set up as a bar.

Viewing 7 posts - 106 through 112 (of 112 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE