Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

FORNO - New Restaurant Coming to The Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining FORNO – New Restaurant Coming to The Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • Author

goldenidea
    Participant

I recognize what Dae Oh has accomplished. A string of restaurant closures and bad Groupons and Living Socials. Let’s recap his “success” for you. Tyfoon: Closed. Black Olive: Closed/Evicted. Red Sushi: Closed. Two Fish Bistro: Closed. Madrid: Closed. Noodles (the place he stuck in Madrid afterwards): Closed. I don’t have much hope for Shoku either. I also heard that he’s moved to Colorado to pursue other interests so I think we can say his run in Columbus is coming to an end.

Yeah, you missed my point. Dae has opened more original high-end restaurants than almost any other local operator. He also had other significant ventures. Liz Lesser might be the only one similar. What happened after those openings may not have been a complete success, but he got them opened. Have you opened a restaurant? If not, try it sometime.

Lost Groupons? If banks don’t lend to restaurants, don’t be surprised to get burned when you do.

I think Dae enjoys the challenge of applying creative energy to restaurant design and construction. He never cared for operating. Operating was never his objective. So he succeeded in meeting the challenges that were meaningful to him. He created nice restaurants. If you or others were victimized as a consequence, that’s unfortunate. You didn’t have to dine there.

jdubilla
    Participant

Yeah, you missed my point. Dae has opened more original high-end restaurants than almost any other local operator. He also had other significant ventures. Liz Lesser might be the only one similar. What happened after those openings may not have been a complete success, but he got them opened. Have you opened a restaurant? If not, try it sometime.

Lost Groupons? If banks don’t lend to restaurants, don’t be surprised to get burned when you do.

I think Dae enjoys the challenge of applying creative energy to restaurant design and construction. He never cared for operating. Operating was never his objective. So he succeeded in meeting the challenges that were meaningful to him. He created nice restaurants. If you or others were victimized as a consequence, that’s unfortunate. You didn’t have to dine there.

What about Cameron Mitchell? I believe most of his restaurants have been successful and are still open.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Operating was never his objective. So he succeeded in meeting the challenges that were meaningful to him. He created nice restaurants. If you or others were victimized as a consequence, that’s unfortunate. You didn’t have to dine there.

C’mon. What’s the point of putting all that time and energy into designing and concepting restaurants if they’re run so poorly they routinely fail?

He’s not a designer that’s being hired by a restaurateur, he IS the restaurateur. He has a responsibility to make sure these places are properly managed once he goes off to develop his next concept.

I’ve always given him points on design, his places nearly always look fantastic, but what does that matter if the food, management, and service are so poor that they fail in a matter of a few years?

B.Flanders
    Blocked

You seem overly enamored with the fact that Dae Oh can open a restaurant, yet has no clue how to run one. Sure, give me $800,000 and an A+ retail location and I can do the same actually. Cameron Mitchell has managed to do very well in this industry, combining great food, solid service and good concepts while keeping his restaurants open and thriving. I can’t even say the same for Liz Lessner.

goldenidea
    Participant

I’m not much enamored as just intrigued by how Dae remained motivated and was able to open all of these spaces while lacking a strong foundation of previous operational success. It’s also interesting that landlord after landlord bought into his next concept. I guess the strength of his designs carried him along.

jcookou
    Participant

Any updates/details on the new restaurant concept opening at the former Two Fish/Red spot? Haven’t noticed much going on…

budser1228
    Participant

I drove past yesterday and there was a sign saying now hiring.

goldenidea
    Participant

I drove past yesterday and there was a sign saying now hiring.

Yeah, I saw that too. The name of the new restaurant is cited, but I can’t recall it offhand.
    Apparently there’s been more work going on behind those papered-up windows than we’ve noticed.

jcookou
    Participant

I live less than a block away from the old Two Fish and the only sign I’ve seen regarding hiring or restaurant name was in regards to the Guild House going in at the new Joseph. I think Cameron Mitchell is interviewing for that restaurant around the corner on Buttles. Unless I’m missing something There still hasn’t been any announcement of name or anticipated arrival date for the pizza concept taking over the Two Fish spot.

budser1228
    Participant

Yes, it was the Guild House signage but I have heard that the restaurant should open sometime in January so they should be hiring soon as well.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

Just walked past it, one of the windows reads ‘Porky’s Posh Pan Pizzas 1/9/2015’

jcookou
    Participant

Hmmm…Have walked by a few times in the past week and still haven’t seen any signs. Maybe I’m missing something.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I actually got to pop in there today. The whole space is being completely reconstructed. No firm opening date yet, but January-ish is the target.

https://www.facebook.com/FornoShortNorth

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

ummm……

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Forno-you-di’nt!

From their site:

Located in the heart of the Short North Arts District, Forno is a unique stone-fired dining experience. Meaning “oven” in Italian (and a number of other romantic languages) you’ll find the right touch of heat when you step into Forno.
    Like our debut with the Short North Pint House, it is our mission to create a stylish neighborhood destination for local Columbus residents and visitors alike.

We offer American cuisine which is finished in our stone-fired oven. From shareable plates to sizable entrees, everyone will find something they like. Guests can enjoy a fun and lively show as our chefs’ work from the oven which sits front and center in the dining room. Accompany your meal with an option from our expansive wine selection and hand-crafted cocktails menu.

Our restaurant is located in an historical building that adds an old-world charm to our modern design. At Forno, you will find a bustling ambiance that creates the right mood for any occasion. Stop in for dinner, a night out with friends or anything in between.

Had no idea they were in the Pint House. Not Capitalizing things is très chic

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE