Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

FORNO - New Restaurant Coming to The Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining FORNO – New Restaurant Coming to The Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)
  • Author

Eugene_C
    Participant

[quote=1026275]…I think the main problem with Two-Fish might be that people in Central Ohio just don’t like seafood that much. They like food that you can put cheese on, like most of America (pizza, burgers, pasta, burritos, etc).

Actually I think people in Central Ohio don’t like bad, overpriced Sushi.

[/quote]

Really? Because that’s how I would describe most of sushi restaurants in Central Ohio *rimshot*

“I’ll have the double-fried tempura roll with cream CHEESE, please!”

;)

goldenidea
    Participant

Ya gotta recognize what Dae has accomplished: Over the past few decades, he’s been able to develop and sell his concepts and plans to many leading Short North landlords: Casto, Avadropolus, Bruggeman, Maloof, Wood(?), whoever owned the Tyfoon space, and also elsewhere at Easton and in Grandview. That’s a track record. Most recently, despite emerging issues in the Short North, he even somehow got into that Barrio space for a time. So great at concepts, design, financing, negotiating, and building, but apparently weak at staffing and operating.

You have to wonder if his run is now over, but then again, with his apparent ambition and abilities, I wouldn’t bet against him opening again somewhere. Meanwhile, Shoku is still open.

Given the all of the investment, and the opportunities that others lost because they were passed on, it’s too bad most of these ventures haven’t worked better and longer.

B.Flanders
    Blocked

Ya gotta recognize what Dae has accomplished: Over the past few decades, he’s been able to develop and sell his concepts and plans to many leading Short North landlords: Casto, Avadropolus, Bruggeman, Maloof, Wood(?), whoever owned the Tyfoon space, and also elsewhere at Easton and in Grandview. That’s a track record. Most recently, despite emerging issues in the Short North, he even somehow got into that Barrio space for a time. So great at concepts, design, financing, negotiating, and building, but apparently weak at staffing and operating.

You have to wonder if his run is now over, but then again, with his apparent ambition and abilities, I wouldn’t bet against him opening again somewhere. Meanwhile, Shoku is still open.

Given the all of the investment, and the opportunities that others lost because they were passed on, it’s too bad most of these ventures haven’t worked better and longer.

I recognize what Dae Oh has accomplished. A string of restaurant closures and bad Groupons and Living Socials. Let’s recap his “success” for you. Tyfoon: Closed. Black Olive: Closed/Evicted. Red Sushi: Closed. Two Fish Bistro: Closed. Madrid: Closed. Noodles (the place he stuck in Madrid afterwards): Closed. I don’t have much hope for Shoku either. I also heard that he’s moved to Colorado to pursue other interests so I think we can say his run in Columbus is coming to an end.

pez
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B.Flanders wrote:</div>
    [quote=1026275]…I think the main problem with Two-Fish might be that people in Central Ohio just don’t like seafood that much. They like food that you can put cheese on, like most of America (pizza, burgers, pasta, burritos, etc).

Actually I think people in Central Ohio don’t like bad, overpriced Sushi.

Really? Because that’s how I would describe most of sushi restaurants in Central Ohio *rimshot*

“I’ll have the double-fried tempura roll with cream CHEESE, please!”

;)
    [/quote]

Kind of the same bullshit excuse Rosendales tried to make.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

We’d been eating here recently and enjoyed the food. I was glad to finally see a restaurant that served wild caught shrimp instead of the comparatively bland, farmed shrimp. We hadn’t had any particularly bad experience there but we went at odd times like 5 PM on a Saturday.

Oh, and they had Peach-Jalapeno margaritas, which are actually way better than they sound.

(re: Sushi) Kind of the same bullshit excuse Rosendales tried to make.

I think sushi has really strayed from its roots around here. It used to be a delicious, light, healthy food. However, it has increasingly become less healthy with more fatty ingredients and fatty-sugary sauces. I’m not eating near as much as I used to.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just wanted to mention that I edited/updated the article posted earlier to include slightly more info about the overall restaurant concept, which is more than just pizza. The focus is on the stone oven, which will be used to cook many items from entrees to apps, as well as pizza.

Just an FYI! ;)

Eugene_C
    Participant

Kind of the same bullshit excuse Rosendales tried to make.

Aw c’mon. It was a joke about people wanting everything with cheese. Jeeze…

amazinga37
    amazinga37
    Participant

This might be silly but I always wondered why CBUS has never had a themed restaurant? I think it would be fun! And I know locals wouldn’t seek it out all the time but it’d be great to go to once in awhile and take out of towners to. Something like this http://luckychengsnyc.com/ I don’t know. Just wondered. Maybe Columbus can’t sustain a concept such as this?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This might be silly but I always wondered why CBUS has never had a themed restaurant?

A Burlesque Cafe doesn’t count? ;)

http://www.bossygrrlspinupjoint.com

amazinga37
    amazinga37
    Participant

Haha…Not exactly what I had in mind. I wouldn’t take myself there (been there once) let alone out of towners. Maybe something like that place in Pulp Fiction? Jack Rabbit Slims or something like that. That would be fun. I know…I’m just dreaming.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I know everyone will bitch about this place and go on and on about how the Short North is all corporate/bro now, but I went to the Pint House today for the World Cup match and had a great experience. Awesome crowd, surprisingly great wings, super friendly and attentive staff and perfect soccer atmosphere. $20 does seem a bit steep for the pizza though. Better be damn good for that amount of money.

wpcc88
    Participant

I know everyone will bitch about this place and go on and on about how the Short North is all corporate/bro now, but I went to the Pint House today for the World Cup match and had a great experience. Awesome crowd, surprisingly great wings, super friendly and attentive staff and perfect soccer atmosphere. $20 does seem a bit steep for the pizza though. Better be damn good for that amount of money.

Just an FYI, their food quality will be going up in the coming months ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Well said. As I mentioned in the news article comments:

I know there was a lot of hullabaloo prior to the Pint House opening about how it was going to over-bro the Short North and rip a hole in the very fabric of the universe, but from everything I’ve heard, read and experienced, that never happened.

I’ve only been a handful of times to Pint House myself, but it’s always seemed like a pretty regular bar with a regular crowd of people enjoying themselves and not the douchebag-central that I’ve heard people cry from afar. And I’ve heard that the food at Pint House is better than what you might expect for bar food (I’ve only had drinks there).

Is there a legitimate complaint to be made, or are people just griping about it out of habit?

Anyway, I’m willing to try out this new yet-to-be-named restaurant/bar at Hubbard and judge it on its own merits once opening.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Agreed, Walker.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

This might be silly but I always wondered why CBUS has never had a themed restaurant?

We used to have both Planet Hollywood and Dick Clark’s.

$20 does seem a bit steep for the pizza though. Better be damn good for that amount of money.

I’m a believer in cooking pizza directly on the brick instead of in a pan, so that’s a point in their favor. But also I think Pizza should be un-pretentious. Just make a great 14-inch pie and don’t try to be too fancy. Lots of places do it. Mikeys, Hound Dog, Tommy’s etc. That’s all you need to do, IMHO.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: