Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

FORNO - New Restaurant Coming to The Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining FORNO – New Restaurant Coming to The Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 112 total)
  • Author

Beware this restaurant uses MSG! They call it the “house spice”. Nice. I guess the food can’t stand on it’s own without the use of MSG. Disappointed with the food. Shouldn’t be surprised just another disappointing Daeoh restaurant. Don’t waste your time or money.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

billiejean

I’m really curious about this place too. Interesting that this place hasn’t had any buzz about its opening at all…..

zp945
    Participant

Anyone know about the Sushi bar next door?

DavidF
    Participant

shortandsweet wrote >>
    Beware this restaurant uses MSG! They call it the “house spice”. Nice. I guess the food can’t stand on it’s own without the use of MSG. Disappointed with the food. Shouldn’t be surprised just another disappointing Daeoh restaurant. Don’t waste your time or money.

OMG! MSG! “cue apocalyptic music”

I’ve never understood the hysteria over MSG.

Pablo
    Participant

I always request extra MSG.

DavidF wrote >>

shortandsweet wrote >>

If you don’t understand it then you shouldn’t have made a comment. It causes health issues in a lot of people and I am one of them. I don’t appreciate it when a restaurant states they don’t use MSG and then turn around and sneak into their food.
    MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods containing MSG. These reactions — known as MSG symptom complex — include:

* Headache
    * Flushing
    * Sweating
    * Facial pressure or tightness
    * Numbness, tingling or burning in face, neck and other areas
    * Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
    * Chest pain
    * Nausea
    * Weakness

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

shortandsweet wrote >>

DavidF wrote >>

shortandsweet wrote >>

If you don’t understand it then you shouldn’t have made a comment. It causes health issues in a lot of people and I am one of them. I don’t appreciate it when a restaurant states they don’t use MSG and then turn around and sneak into their food.
    MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods containing MSG. These reactions — known as MSG symptom complex — include:
    * Headache
    * Flushing
    * Sweating
    * Facial pressure or tightness
    * Numbness, tingling or burning in face, neck and other areas
    * Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
    * Chest pain
    * Nausea
    * Weakness

How do you know for certain they used MSG?

Did you have “facial tightness”?

beersie1
    Participant

Never fails– every time a new business opens someone creates a faceless account with the sole purpose to bash that business.

DavidF
    Participant

I think the key word is “anecdotal.” I had a friend have a severe MSG reaction once in a place that I knew for a fact didn’t use it.

drew
    Participant

Geez… everybody panic over MSG! Never found it to be a problem, but I suppose any restaurant that uses it should disclose. Which begs the question – how does one know when the symptoms associated with MSG ingestion are actually caused by MSG?

Anywhoo… besides MSG, anyone willing to say more about what the menu’s like at Two Fish?

rus
    rus
    Participant

DavidF wrote >>
    I think the key word is “anecdotal.” I had a friend have a severe MSG reaction once in a place that I knew for a fact didn’t use it.

Psychosomatic?

Kinda reminds me of a guy back in HS. He thought he was high as a kite until someone pointed out he was smoking oregano.

DavidF
    Participant

rus wrote >>

DavidF wrote >>

Psychosomatic?
    Kinda reminds me of a guy back in HS. He thought he was high as a kite until someone pointed out he was smoking oregano.

Yep. I’m not saying there aren’t people with severe allergies to almost anything you can think of. I just wonder why MSG is singled out in particular, especially since there’s no firm evidence that it has any negative effects in more than a exceedingly small (and heretofore only anecdotal) number of people. My friend freaked out because he thought there was MSG in the food and created his own symptoms.

Tigertree

I can’t believe a restaurant this new has a disgruntled ex employee so soon.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Who knows; I’ve found its just easier to ignore them. Everyone always has some ax to grind and have the need to be “the voice”.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 112 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE