Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Two 8-Story Buildings Proposed for Park Street

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Two 8-Story Buildings Proposed for Park Street

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…my next concern is where all the Bros will go when Bro Street is wiped off the map?!

Not to pick on you specifically, but this same worry about a cataclysmic bro-invasion has been reiterated many times through many different channels in the past few days. It’s gotten to the point where this category of sub-humans has been demonized far beyond the lowly hipster stereotype punching bag.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought that “bros” were just young dumb college kids. They grow up and grow out of it. Not trying to make any excuses for bad behavior, but I imagine 95% of them are simply annoyingly weekend drunks at worst. And I imagine 95% of everyone complaining about bros exhibited some form of “dumb young person” syndrome at some point in their life that would label them a bro (or bro-ette?) by today’s nomenclature.

The type of people looking for cheap crappy beers, Top 40 dance-pop, and a crowd of their peers is going to go exactly where they can find it. They’re not going weasel their way inside the scenes at The Rossi, Kingmakers or Brothers Drake unless there’s a big change those places.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Maybe the Bros can redevelop Driving Park?

ehill27
    Participant

Oh, Walker. You stole my thunder and made me feel guilty all at the same time. :(

Honestly, though. I wasn’t trying to pick on the Bros, so much as point out another facet of this development (though I have been known to razz Bros, hipsters, and others, but always in good fun). They really do have quite a large and long term thing going on there, and they’ll need to find somewhere else to do their thing.

PS- Is there a term for displacing Bros? ;)

ohbr
    Participant

Honestly, though. I wasn’t trying to pick on the Bros, so much as point out another facet of this development (though I have been known to razz Bros, hipsters, and others, but always in good fun). They really do have quite a large and long term thing going on there, and they’ll need to find somewhere else to do their thing.

Brewery District? Isn’t that From whence the came so many years ago? If you really dislike them, relocate them to the Flats ;-)

Bro-fugees? Bro-meless?

All in jest of course. Although I don’t like the atmosphere, it should be wondered where those young people who like to drink unfortunate beer and listen to hit music and dance and fight should end up. Part of a young thriving city is to have somewhere like that.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Oh, Walker. You stole my thunder and made me feel guilty all at the same time. :(

Again, that wasn’t directed just at you. I’ve just seen it a lot, and it’s an easy group for a lot of people to dislike.

Bro-fugees? Bro-meless?

Ha! Both of those are pretty good. ;)

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought that “bros” were just young dumb college kids. They grow up and grow out of it. Not trying to make any excuses for bad behavior, but I imagine 95% of them are simply annoyingly weekend drunks at worst. And I imagine 95% of everyone complaining about bros exhibited some form of “dumb young person” syndrome at some point in their life that would label them a bro (or bro-ette?) by today’s nomenclature.

Yeah I agree. I don’t get the hate. I spent plenty of time being drunk and loud on Park St. and I’m sure plenty of other people have to. Doesn’t mean I didn’t move on to enjoy Mouton or Brothers Drake etc. When I was 22 I wouldn’t have wanted to spend the money it takes 28 year old me to bar hop around the Short North anyway. Brothers used to have a 10 cent wing night and I’m pretty sure that’s the best deal on food I’ve ever gotten.

Park St. is great because it is what it is. If you don’t like the scene there are plenty of other options within just a few blocks. But because you don’t like the bars isn’t a great justification for tearing down historic buildings or breaking up a district with its own successful identity.

wpcc88
    Participant

No bro’s go to these bars anymore. They literally go to Brothers, BBR, Callahans if they’re Park Street bro’s.

heresthecasey
    Participant

IMO really all they would need to do to fix this proposal is save the first ~20 or 30 ft of the three historic buildings. Then site the hotel tower immediately behind them, demolish the single-story piece, and pull the new building’s entrance out to Park St at that point. Keep the office/parking section pretty much as-is.

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ehill27 wrote:</div>

Again, that wasn’t directed just at you. I’ve just seen it a lot, and it’s an easy group for a lot of people to dislike.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>
    Bro-fugees? Bro-meless?

Ha! Both of those are pretty good. ;)

And if they’re upset, we can call them Bro-mads for the double whammy.

Josh_W
    Josh_W
    Participant

Maturification?

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Honestly, the majority of the people at Park Street Complex are college kids, under and of age, and it usually doesn’t look too busy ever, minus your Thursday college night. Saloon isn’t even open anymore unless there’s a concert there. Social is super small, and so is the inside of Patio, so really all you’re losing is the big outdoor space that Patio has which isn’t even utilized half the year. My guess is they will just head to another Park St. bar and make them even more crowded, or the ones that can’t get in will head back to campus.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

A revised iteration of this plan was published in Business First this morning: They’re now trying to incorporate the existing buildings along Park Street:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

A good move!

WJT
    Participant

This looks much better!

sruckus
    Participant

That looks fantastic. Designs that mix modern with historical always look cool.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: