Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Two 8-Story Buildings Proposed for Park Street

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Two 8-Story Buildings Proposed for Park Street

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Hotel and Office Development Proposed for Park Street
    September 8, 2015 4:46 pm – Walker Evans

If a new development proposal is approved, then the Convention Center area may gain a new hotel at the expense of losing several smaller buildings in the Park Street area near the North Market. Columbus-based Continental Realty submitted an application to the Historic Resources Commission last week for conceptual review, which outlines a plan to demolish several interconnected one-to-three story buildings and surface parking lots in the Downtown block bounded by Park Street, Spruce Street, Armstrong Street and Interstate 670, and replace them with new two eight-story buildings.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/hotel-and-office-development-proposed-for-park-street

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Well. Didn’t see this coming.

That could be more than a little transformative.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Wow, that would change things up. That’s a huge chunk of development.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Glad to see these proposals rolling in again (this summer felt slow in terms of new announcements). I like the buildings well enough, but my one big complaint is only a single retail space is included. That area is pretty hopping with bars and restaurants. It seems like that would really change the character of the street.

chaking
    Participant

Ya, wish they didn’t have to demolish the existing buildings/businesses. That block was already doing ok.

Rahburts
    Participant

I agree. I think it’s kind of a shame to take a successful block that has an identity and level it. It would have been just as easy to purchase and build on the empty lots, extending the district. While not as visible, the area would still get a lot of foot traffic.

Nancy H
    Participant

I realize this is a conceptual drawing and we don’t have lots of details. But, I find the Park Street Elevation to be a big yawn. The Spruce Street side is a typical brick parking garage with four stories of what looks like a blank wall above it. Why people think using brick on the lower level somehow makes a building “fit in” with older buildings is beyond me. There is nothing about this building that is sympathetic to the older surrounding architecture.

Pictured below are the older buildings they propose to tear down. 509-515 Park (corner of Spruce and Park) was build in 1913. 525-527 Park (next building to the north) was built in 1920 and the north most building was build in 1900. Will be shocked if the Historic Resources Commission goes along with the demolitions.

I would much rather see them renovate the older buildings on Park for the office space. Then build the parking garage on the west side with the hotel sitting on top the garage. A 12 story building could be nice there. There are plenty of options to give the hotel a Park Street lobby and address.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

ohbr
    Participant

Quite the surprise. I really like this but at the same time I’m torn. It could be a great catalyst to filling in the rest of the area to Neil but at the same time I hope the commission gives some pushback over the demolition of those buildings. How many buildings are we going to say ‘there’s no Real Historical value so it’s ok as long at the end product is new and bigger’ before we’ve lost almost all of our historical character? I also wonder if moving to an empty lot could still have the same impact. (Of course it all comes down to who owns what land and who is willing to sell at what price). Now, I won’t be extremely upset one way or the other but for the most part, a good prospect for the neighborhood.

Also, let’s get this out of the way now for those that will say it later: why can’t downtown attract development like this? Why are we seeing things that should be downtown everywhere but downtown? Combine it and make it a 16 story building at Gay and High! ;-P

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Quite the surprise. I really like this but at the same time I’m torn. It could be a great catalyst to filling in the rest of the area to Neil but at the same time I hope the commission gives some pushback over the demolition of those buildings. How many buildings are we going to say ‘there’s no Real Historical value so it’s ok as long at the end product is new and bigger’ before we’ve lost almost all of our historical character? I also wonder if moving to an empty lot could still have the same impact. (Of course it all comes down to who owns what land and who is willing to sell at what price). Now, I won’t be extremely upset one way or the other but for the most part, a good prospect for the neighborhood.

Also, let’s get this out of the way now for those that will say it later: why can’t downtown attract development like this? Why are we seeing things that should be downtown everywhere but downtown? Combine it and make it a 16 story building at Gay and High! ;-P

Adding hotel density near the Convention Center is a great thing. Also, while it’s not as flashy, there is a 12-story hotel planned on Nationwide and Leveque will have hotel options as well.

I agree that it would be a shame to demolish buildings. But it’s exciting to me that they’re thinking hotel in this area.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I hope they tell them to go back to the drawing board and incorporate the existing buildings into the design. How about keeping the existing Park Street buildings for office/retail and making the back portion where the office building is planned a mixed use 16 story building instead of two 8 story buildings.

CbusIslander
    Participant

Just the proposal the downtown needs more density folks been asking for. Out with the old in with the new. A truly growing downtown.

WJT
    Participant

That stretch of Park street does have a certain ‘old mini neighborhood’ sense to it, at the very least they should push back the hotel from the street and save the front halves of the buildings lining the west side of Park. There are so few areas downtown of clusters of older buildings together that make a cohesive whole and are actually functioning and thriving.

Also not enough of a retail component-a missed opportunity.

Good to see the addition of office and hotel in that area though-just wish they could integrate it a bit more into the existing Park Street look. If they could just condense it a little and push it back maybe 75 feet from Park….Maybe connect it to Park with a section stretching out to Park where the one floor building is for a Park street entrance? Something….ya know?

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Are we sure there’s no retail and does it have to be street level? Most hotels have a bar/restaurant or several options even if they’re not street level. Gallerie is a perfect example.

WJT
    Participant

Are we sure there’s no retail and does it have to be street level? Most hotels have a bar/restaurant or several options even if they’re not street level. Gallerie is a perfect example.

It says a single retail spot on the north end of the building. I just wish they did not have to level the whole western side of that block’s streetscape.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I know the real world isn’t Sim City and it comes down to who owns what. But I think it’d be a shame to tear down those buildings on Park St. That little strip definitely has its own identity and it’d be a shame to lose that. Especially when there’s so many empty and underutilized spots just west of Park Street. I hope there’s some push back to this plan. We should be trying to add to our unique areas,not destroying them. To that end I think the office addition to that corner of Armstrong and Spruce is a great add and I like the design. But I think the Aloft design is a little underwhelming and with the demolition it requires I’m not a fan. I’d say if they want the hotel it should be incorporated into the office structure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE