Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

TWC or Wow Internet ?!?!?!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A TWC or Wow Internet ?!?!?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    blitz16leb
    blitz16leb
    Participant

We moved to Columbus from Canada 3 months ago, and as we were in a hurry, signed up for Time Warner Internet services.

However, we’ve noticed that the internet speed is constantly being throttled. It goes from our regular 20Mbps down to just 0.40Mbps.

We’ve contacted TWC dozens of times, we’ve purchased a brand new Linksys AC dual band router, and even exchanged the TWC Modem for a different model, however the problem persists and TWC blames it on our router.

We’ve read that having a VPN set up on our network will disable the throttling due to the fact that they can’t really pinpoint our usage. But before going ahead, I just wanted to check if other options are available.

We’re looking into switching to WoW as they service our area as well, I just wanted to make sure that I’m not just trading one evil for another.
    I would love to know what your experience has been with WOW, if any of you have had diminished speeds, etc.

So any and all advice is very much appreciated!!!

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I’ve honestly never heard of anyone being throttled down in Columbus, let alone at that level. I think you may actually have a router problem.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I don’t think TWC will throttle your bandwidth unless you’re like a hosting a server or download insane amounts of the Internet. I stream things in HD fairly often and I have never had a problem.

However, if you have the option I’d get AT&T Uverse. I currently have Time Warner, but I preferred Uverse back when I had it. Also, if you do download insane amounts of the internets, for whatever reason, I have friends who would download tons of stuff and never had problems with Uverse throttling them.

skittles_s
    Participant

We recently switched form TWC to WoW and are content. Our TWC bill kept climbing and was about to go up to almost $80.00 a month for their 25 Mbps service. I’m paying $25 a month for WoW’s 30 Mbps service. The price is good for 24 months and then we’ll be in switch/haggle mode. Note that we own a modem and we don’t do TV or phone.

Nancy H
    Participant

Zero experience with WOW.

I used TimeWarner for a number of years (husband insisted because of the TV channels). I did not find they throttled the bandwidth so much as their system was crap. Regularly had to reboot everything, in sequence, while waiting for this or that to boot up, before getting back to usable. Regularly got the spinning cursor while watching streaming movies via an Apple TV.

Have been using AT&T Uverse for about five months with zero issues. I like the fact that they do combined services discounts for things like land line, Uverse, cell phone, etc. Every little bit helps keep the costs down.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Have been using AT&T Uverse for about five months with zero issues.

I’m on Uverse now and have pretty good service so far. I’ve seriously considered jumping to WOW for the 110 speed though…

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nancy H wrote:</div>
    Have been using AT&T Uverse for about five months with zero issues.

I’m on Uverse now and have pretty good service so far. I’ve seriously considered jumping to WOW for the 110 speed though…

I’m on Uverse and just in the last month have seen a significant video streaming quality reduction. My machine didn’t change so I have to guess something is going on with the service?

ToeKnee43
    Participant

We’ve had WOW for a few years now. No complaints and they have really awesome customer service. And I sleep better at night knowing that I’m not giving my money to TWC or AT&T.

sruckus
    Participant

TWC is good and reliable. They don’t throttle. You’re either running into some major node issues (which will get resolved) or (far more likely) it’s your router/config.

However, UVerse and WOW are both good as well. I have now used all 3 in Columbus as I finally moved to a place that WOW services and I couldn’t pass up $25/month for 30/5. Their DNS is less reliable than TWC, but switched to Google and everything’s good. They also have a good direct line support guy over at DSLReports.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We’ve had WOW at home for nearly 8 years, originally setting up with the 4MB service for something real cheap (at the time)… maybe $20/mo or something. We don’t do a lot of heavy downloading, and the service works fine for streaming everything. There’s occasional outages, but nothing too bad that I haven’t had with TW as well.

A fried of mine mentioned last weekend that he just switched to WOW for their $25/mo 30MB deal. I knew I could probably get a better speed, but it kind of blew me away that it was so cheap for so fast now.

So, I checked and after a couple of years of letting “bill creep” set in, we were paying $50/mo for 4MB (that includes modem and taxes). Ugh.

I called WOW and the first guy I talked to acted like I should just be happy with what I had and when he was going to put me on hold to check on changing my service, he hung up on me.

I called WOW back and the next woman I spoke with was overly happy to switch us over to the $25 30MB plan, and told me which type of modem to go out and buy so I could stop renting it (something I should have done a long time ago). She seemed very happy to help someone who had been a customer for nearly 8 years, so I was pretty happy with that customer service interaction.

We use TW Business at the office, and it has outages more often. Planning on possibly switching to Capaciti when our contract is up in February…

http://www.capacitinetworks.com/bid-for-broadband/

Capaciti Introduces High-Speed Business Broadband to Columbus

Roland
    Participant

WOW offers 110 Mbps service for 60 bucks a month. I don’t think you can get a deal that good from TWC.

Like Walker mentioned, you’ve got to watch for bill creep but this happens with TWC too. I’ve had no trouble calling in and getting whatever the current promotion price is. I had to upgrade my cable modem when I bumped up to 110 Mbps but they recommended a cablemodem to purchase without putting up a fuss about it. You could lease a modem from them for 10 bucks a month. It makes sense to buy your own.

I never had bad service with TWC when I was a customer of theirs, but my experience with WOW has been top notch.

sruckus
    Participant

told me which type of modem to go out and buy so I could stop renting it (something I should have done a long time ago).

Did you figure out if you’ll actually have a cost savings? Depending on the modem it takes at least a year to even out (based on WOW’s $5/month rental). For me I don’t consider it worth it since as the speeds increase newer modems with more channel bonding will end up being required, support is harder (they like to blame your modem), and you may be more limited in who you can switch to (not AT&T). You’re back at square one.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Did you figure out if you’ll actually have a cost savings? Depending on the modem it takes at least a year to even out (based on WOW’s $5/month rental). For me I don’t consider it worth it since as the speeds increase newer modems with more channel bonding will end up being required, support is harder (they like to blame your modem), and you may be more limited in who you can switch to (not AT&T). You’re back at square one.

I think the $5/mo for modem rental is a part of the 1 year promo. After that it jumps to $10/mo standard for the 30MB service. Our bill creep had us paying $7/mo, or $84/year for the modem rental.

Having used the same modem for the past 8 years straight, I picked up a modem for $90, assuming that I’ll use it for the same amount of time in the future and the cost savings will be worth it. Even if we only use it for 13 months, it will be a cheaper option.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

We personally have ATT DSL bundled with a landline –it’s a decent deal, but it probably only makes financial sense because of the bundle.

It’s sad, but you get a whole new set of rates and options with most of these services once you say that magic word “cancel.” I’ve even had customer service reps tell me that straight out. We were actually going to legitimately cancel, but they lowered our rate and sent us a free modem/router just to keep us on.

(Not sure how much longer we’re going to go on holding on to our landline, from what I hear they are going to be phased out in the future in any case.)

DouginCMH
    Participant

We switched to Wow internet only service last month, after several years with AT&T. I certainly am happy with he switch so far. AT&*T was uninterested in negotiating with me when I called and threatened switch providers. When I called to actually cancel my service they offered a better deal that they’d done so previously, but it was still higher than Wow and for a slower connection speed.

Wow’s price will go up $5/year (it’s $25/month right now plus equipment rental fee); that’s in the contract. But I can also switch over to my own router whenever I get around to buying one, which will lop off $10/month from the rate.

I hate the annual dance you have to go through to try and negotiate a decent rate. This, at least, locks me into a rate I find very acceptable for several years.

Oh, and TW would have to pay me in order to have me as a customer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: