Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Turning Point Solar

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Turning Point Solar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

AEP setback dims prospects for $180M Turning Point solar project

Business First by Jeff Bell, Staff reporter

Date: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 5:02pm EST

A ruling by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio has put into question the future of a solar energy project billed as one of the largest of its kind in the eastern U.S. In a 3-1 vote Wednesday, the regulatory agency ruled that American Electric Power Company Inc. (NYSE:AEP) has not proved there is a need for the 50-megawatt Turning Point Solar project planned for an area near the Wilds conservation center in Noble County. The PUCO also said Columbus-based AEP Ohio can’t recover its investment in the $180 million project by passing on the cost to its customers.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2013/01/09/aep-setback-dims-prospects-for-180m.html

melikecheese
    Participant

Ha, so because they can’t make consumers pay for it, they wont do it….

gramarye
    Participant

Well, of course if you can’t sell the electricity to customers and bill them for it, that’s going to make the project a hard sell. That’s sort of the business model for most utility companies.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Selling a product to customers and charging them for it is the business model for almost ALL kinds of companies. ;)

gramarye
    Participant

Some businesses give a product away for free and then charge advertisers to reach the user base, however. :-P

dubdave00
    Participant

gramarye said:
    Some businesses give a product away for free and then charge advertisers to reach the user base, however. :-P

Lol… I think I’d rather pay a monthly fee than watch / listen to “Sue” from Progressive Insurance before my living room lights turn on. :-)

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

This is hideous. This is something that both would have brought jobs to Ohio and moved us in a positive environmental direction –for once. When even the ultra-conservative Dispatch calls this an entirely political decision, the writing is on the wall.

Does anyone know of any initiatives to fight this politically? I feel this is something important to mobilize around.

SusanB
    Participant

http://www.plunderbund.com/2013/01/12/kasichs-puco-chief-snitchler-is-a-climate-change-denier/%5B/url%5D

Is one reason.

he former lawmaker from Uniontown, Ohio, frequently shares material critical of solar, wind and “green” energy, even re-tweeting a story called “Elites of West have cranked up myth of Global Warming” fromPravda, a Communist Party-connected newspaper in Russia, calling it “interesting.”

Among more than 1,000 tweets from the past year, Snitchler did not once share anything positive about renewable energy. Instead, he tweeted about how “clean-energy aid racks up losses” and “the Himalayas and nearby peaks have lost no ice in past 10 years, study shows”; shared the conservative website Drudge Report’s “complete list of green energy failures” and conservative political commentator Laura Ingraham’s “windbag & greeniac update”; and re-tweeted “electric cars pose environmental threat,” “after Sandy no one lined up for wind turbines” and that the “??‘green’ religion is taking over from Christian religion.”

Patch
    Participant

Walker said:
    Selling a product to customers and charging them for it is the business model for almost ALL kinds of companies. ;)

Doesn’t the article state that AEP would pass it along to consumers by raising the rates without consumer input?

When I lived in BG we were able to make a choice to buy renewable energy at an extra cost. That helped to make BGs investment in Wind Energy, and I think they have four wind turbines paid off now.

I think the most relevant portion of the article was this:

“But the agency said its decision doesn’t prevent AEP-Ohio from pursuing the project through other methods such as a long-term purchase power agreement with electricity suppliers. In fact, the commission said project “may potentially provide numerous benefits … and it is a worthwhile endeavor that AEP-Ohio should pursue.”

Doesn’t sound like they are against the project at all.

News
    Participant

Ohio Regulator Blasts Renewable Energy On Twitter
    By: Associated Press | NBC4
    Published: January 14, 2013

The utility regulator who led last week’s vote nixing a major Ohio solar project has used his Twitter account over the past year to steadily criticize solar, wind and renewable energy and to question global warming. The posts are among more than 1,000 tweets and retweets in the past year by Public Utilities Commission of Ohio Chairman Todd Snitchler, a former Republican state lawmaker from Uniontown. Gov. John Kasich appointed the Uniontown Republican as chairman in March 2011.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2013/jan/14/ohio-regulator-blasts-renewable-energy-twitter-ar-1312632/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: