Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU Haters - Tumblr account tracks racist tweets from OSU students

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion OSU Haters – Tumblr account tracks racist tweets from OSU students

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

It’s unfortunate that this tumblr account was created for this purpose. I realize this probably tracks a very small percentage of the student body, but it nonetheless is extremely sad to read.

OSU haters

bjx
    Participant

It made me angry not sad. To give the tweeters the benefit of the doubt, I thought maybe the racist comments were a one-off and resulted from isolated frustration or going for the cheap laugh. But no, these folks are definitely racists. Check-out the individual twitter accounts of the tweeters for some insight into their racism. Its kinda weird as they seem to have no reason to be threatened or targeted by minorities.

I think that the large influx of Asians at OSU, specifically from China, pay maybe up to 3x a U.S. student’s tuition. Coincidentally, China’s ascension and trade-imbalances over the past 10-20 years led to the subsequent influx of Asian students here.

I’m now rooting for those Asians, unfortunately that blond who is very casual with her racist tweets still probably has a leg(s) up over Asian students.

JonMyers
    Participant

Yeah. Pretty nasty.

Ironic because I’d bet in most cases, the targets of the racist remarks probably outwork, and out-hustle the dip shits who are making the remarks.

Maybe that’s the point though.

I don’t think the blonde has a leg up, though that illusion still exists.

bjx said:
    It made me angry not sad. To give the tweeters the benefit of the doubt, I thought maybe the racist comments were a one-off and resulted from isolated frustration or going for the cheap laugh. But no, these folks are definitely racists. Check-out the individual twitter accounts of the tweeters for some insight into their racism. Its kinda weird as they seem to have no reason to be threatened or targeted by minorities.

I think that the large influx of Asians at OSU, specifically from China, pay maybe up to 3x a U.S. student’s tuition. Coincidentally, China’s ascension and trade-imbalances over the past 10-20 years led to the subsequent influx of Asian students here.

I’m now rooting for those Asians, unfortunately that blond who is very casual with her racist tweets still probably has a leg(s) up over Asian students.

shmack

i don’t think trade imbalances or china’s “ascension” has anything to do with a large influx of mainland students. US universities are the best in the world and have always hosted foreign students. diminished public funding is really what is driving universities to admit so many out of state students. if anything, most of these students have parents who have saved 50% of their monthly income (“affluent” >= USD2500+/month) for their entire working lives to provide this opportunity to their child.

my heart breaks for these students who are away from their families for the first time, in a foreign land, a foreign culture, and met with such xenophobic doucheturds. make no mistake, u.s. xenophobia has already boomerang’d — the treatment of white foreigners here in shanghai has gotten a lot worse in the past 12 years.

melikecheese
    Participant

Those are some sick tweets. I’d like to punch those girls in the junk. Ugly ugly girls.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

geoyui said:
    It’s unfortunate that this tumblr account was created for this purpose.

Why unfortunate? It seems like this tumblr was made to call them out on their bigotry. I say call em out!

buckette13

Walker said:
    Why unfortunate? It seems like this tumblr was made to call them out on their bigotry. I say call em out!

Because someone could also create an account called ‘racist tweets of CUer’s’ and it may not have anything to really do with CU, but racist people who may associate themselves with it.

Timeone

Good luck to these people finding jobs when they graduate. What happens on the web stay on the web…forever. I know so many employers who regularly google their potential hires.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

buckette13 said:
    Because someone could also create an account called ‘racist tweets of CUer’s’ and it may not have anything to really do with CU, but racist people who may associate themselves with it.

I don’t really think that anyone assumes that the individual thoughts of an OSU student represents the larger views of the university itself.

Perhaps the point of mentioning them as OSU students is to call them out in relation to their institution where they’re supposed to be behaving like adults and not dumb teenagers.

buckette13

Walker said:
    I don’t really think that anyone assumes that the individual thoughts of an OSU student represents the larger views of the university itself.

I think the point of this is to associate racist people with OSU.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

buckette13 said:
    I think the point of this is to associate racist people with OSU.

From the tumblr:

Ohio State is no place for hate! We expose tweets from haters here, especially those which were deleted.

buckette13

especially those which were deleted.

Seems there is an alterior motive to me…

shmack

uh, okay. if you say so.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

buckette13 said:

You’re right. They’re just picking on poor little OSU and should stop it.

GO BUCKS!

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

buckette13 said:
    especially those which were deleted.

Really?! I’m over people treating the Internet like its the Wild West thinking they can say anything they want without repercussions. There are no take backsies. You said it, you meant it, own it. Deletion of a tweet or comment doesn’t indicate the person no longer thinks a certain way, it just means they were called out and don’t want to defend their statement.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION