Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Triple Pay Proposed for Workers on Thanksgiving Day

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Triple Pay Proposed for Workers on Thanksgiving Day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Ohio Lawmaker Wants Triple Wages For Those Working On Thanksgiving
    Wednesday November 26, 2014 9:13 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A lawmaker in Ohio wants retailers in the state to pay triple wages for employees who work on Thanksgiving – an effort that comes as Macy’s is allowing its workers to choose whether to work that day.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/11/26/columbus-ohio-ohio-lawmaker-wants-triple-wages-for-those-working-on-thanksgiving.html

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Terrible idea. What little I know of that politician, is that he’s an idiot.

kit444
    Participant

Why is it terrible?

DavidF
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ColumbusTime wrote:</div>

Why is it terrible?

Because Thanksgiving isn’t for the serfs.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Would this translate to service positions as well? There are plenty of doctors and nurses that work the holidays too!

jackoh
    Participant

Actually, there is a simpler, more practical, and sensible solution to this problem. Eliminate Thanksgiving. Return the fourth Thursday of November to its status as the fourth Thursday of November, and that problem, as well as many others, is solved.

EvilAnton
    EvilAnton
    Participant

Why is this a bad idea?

What, exactly, do you know about Mike Foley? And how little?

From my exhaustive five minute Google search and subsequent reading. He actually sounds like a politician I’d vote for.

From his own website:
    Under his watch, the CTO worked with thousands of families to save them from being displaced by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Rep. Foley’s work helped bring in more than $160 million in affordable housing construction and renovation, performed by union labor. He also organized the largest rent strike in Ohio history at Columbia Park Manufactured Home Park, when out-of-state landlords bought the park and raised senior citizen rents by 25 percent.

As an attorney, Rep. Foley successfully represented victims of the first predatory lending cases in Cuyahoga County in the late 1990’s. He continues to help victims of security deposit scams and families hurt by lead-based paint.

Man, what a dick!

Personally, I am in favor of at least over-time pay for anyone that works on a national holiday. Top down policy and economics are generally a bad idea. And unsustainable. And there is a lot of historical precedent here (of which I will not go into) to facilitate that school of thought.

Money saved is not the only quantitative factor when determining the value of an object.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Politicians meddling into wage and work hour decisions by a company is unwarranted. Between employee and employer. If your employer makes you work on a holiday and you don’t want to, find a new job and quit.

pez
    Participant

From his own website:<br>

That’s probably not the best source of unbiased information on him.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

I think many black friday workers would be happy just to get time and a half.

GCrites80s
    Participant

I like how the assumption in this country is if we take even one day off from work the economy will collapse. Or if we just work one more day we’ll all get rich. Meanwhile Germans have lots of days off and their economy is very strong. Most other countries make fun of us for this. The more you work beyond 45-50 hours a week or 10 hours a day, the less value your work has. People past those hours are very inefficient and even dangerous at safety-conscious jobs. People who work with the public get crabby and are more likely to anger customers.

Constant praise of whip-cracking is manipulation by those intending to devalue people and their work. It’s also the sign of someone who has been manipulated themselves.

But in this case the reason (which the big stores won’t talk about due to liability concerns) stores are opening on Thanksgiving is to avoid liability associated with customers being trampled to death in their stores on Friday morning when they open. They have done such a good job getting people into their stores on one day a year that it backfired in a way that crowd control and keeping people from dying became more important that selling things.

EvilAnton
    EvilAnton
    Participant

Politicians meddling into wage and work hour decisions by a company is unwarranted. Between employee and employer. If your employer makes you work on a holiday and you don’t want to, find a new job and quit.

See, I knew you were going to say that. An over simplified, free market, Utopian, libertarian-ism.

Those were all self-indulgent, rhetorical questions. The argument is way too nuanced for an internet forum. I should know better. And I have a feeling the logic of which would be lost on you. Needless to say, sometimes people need help. Because for-profit companies seldom have workers in mind when they are making business decisions.

Google “robber barons”. It’s a long list. And there are some similarities between then and now that are to close to call coincidence.

Speaking of rhetorical questions! What good is a government that doesn’t advocate for it’s electorate?

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>EvilAnton wrote:</div>
    From his own website:<br>

That’s probably not the best source of unbiased information on him.

http://www.ohiohouse.gov/mike-foley/press/suppressed-energy-jobs-report-proof-positive-of-bad-intentions-behind-energy-freeze-say-lawmakers

It gets worse.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/05/ohio_economy_would_benefit_fro.html

http://www.politifact.com/ohio/statements/2013/may/13/mike-foley/state-rep-mike-foley-says-ohio-led-nation-job-loss/

This is a slight reach on my part. But I think it clearly describes what an idiot this guy really is.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/10/20/columbus-ohio-utility-companies-allowed-to-guess-on-your-bill.html

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I think many black friday workers would be happy just to get time and a half.

Many get time and a half and are thankful for/expect it.

I don’t shop on Black Friday, but I couldn’t give a fuck about people who do.

DavidF
    Participant

It’s been all downhill since those pesky child labor laws went into effect. Made the plebes all uppity.

Don’t even get me started on workplace safety regulations. Sheesh, if they don’t want their hands cut off, they can always find another job.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

I also think this politician’s plan is poorly thought out and would have adverse consequences.

As Anne pointed out, doctors, nurses – as well as airport workers, pilots, gas station attendants, restaurant workers, hotel workers, movie theater employees, police, and more – have been working Thanksgiving for decades. No outcry.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: