Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Trash at Street Festivals

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Trash at Street Festivals

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Achekov
    Participant

/shrug. Big festivals area a clusterfk It’s part of the package. It’s hard to get in and out through all the people to empty trash. However, they do clean them up at the end of the day.

People at festivals can’t figure out recycling. They’re just not smart enough. I was just at the arts festival and people threw trash in all the recycling bins.

So, Philadelphia’s solution seems ideal (if effective…anyone know?):

That’s not festival equipment. That’s permanent equipment. Too expensive to use just for festivals and store the rest of the year. Also not designed to be emptied multiple times per day from high use.

They should try and make the recyling bins look a little different than the trash tho.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

FWIW, I wasn’t suggesting those bins just for festivals, but for broader recycling use year-round.

I agree that the recycling bins at the festivals have to be much more clearly marked (and abundant): the priority at festivals is elsewhere, so people will just discard from their hands whatever stuff they no longer want to hold. Gotta make it as easy as possible for them to choose recycling (and the right receptacle).

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Here is my take on the problem with the recycling bins at the Arts Festival. The bins were the same size, except that the recycling bins were green and the trash bins were blue. The recycling bins had modest labels on the side indicating recycling.

Now, what does everyone in Columbus have at home? They have a BLUE recycling bin and a GREEN trash bin. Exactly the opposite of what was at the festival. Perhaps using brown bins for trash would be better.

Or better yet, something like this for recycling:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/ubikk23/RecycleBinWire21.jpg

Or this:

Giant Bottle

GCrites80s
    Participant

Germans are good at this.

AlexP
    Participant

I thought this post was going to be about certain festival attendees, not literal trash.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Except at Octoberfests. I was at an Octoberfest once up in Auglaize County, and nobody, and I mean nobody was using the recycling. There were containers all over the ground.

Rusty1
    Rusty1
    Participant

I was disappointed with the trash at Arts Fest also. They were selling 16oz aluminum cans clearly they werent recycling the cans.Bring back the art cups!

Rusty1
    Rusty1
    Participant

Yeah I didnt even see a recycling can guess I was distracted by overflowing trash cans.Good idea Ned23.

Shelley Mann
    Shelley Mann
    Participant

More effective recycling efforts have been successful at Earth Day events in Columbus, with clearly marked containers, volunteers helping to direct folks to the correct containers, and on-site sorting. This year’s Independents’ Day team is working with some of those same folks to make strides toward becoming a more eco-friendly festival all around, and I’m excited to see what the results are this year. It’s definitely an area where improvements can be made.

GCrites80s
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>GCrites80s wrote:</div>

Except at Octoberfests. I was at an Octoberfest once up in Auglaize County, and nobody, and I mean nobody was using the recycling. There were containers all over the ground.

Oh I meant Germans that are actually in Germany.

befohio
    Participant

ComFest reminder:Desperate need for Volunteers – Last year we were able to divert 6.92 tons of recycling from the landfill and send over 8,000 pounds of food waste to be composted. Without volunteers like you, this simply could not be done. CleanUp and Recycling meeting TONIGHT (6/23) 7:30 near Shelter House….

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE