Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Transfigurations at The Wexner Center

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Transfigurations at The Wexner Center

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Opinion: Don’t touch that — Sterile atmosphere at Wexner Center for the Arts puts visitors on edge
    October 14, 2014
    Daniel Bendtsen

There’s a reason this section is called “arts and entertainment.” The two have a lot of overlap — in an ideal world, they’d be synonymous: aesthetic and amusement intertwined into one.

Too often, the “fine arts” (e.g. ballet, sculpture) fail to entertain the masses. For some, art museums can seem to be full of some elitist snobbery, where the phonies go to become sophisticates.

READ MORE: http://thelantern.com/2014/10/opinion-dont-touch-that-sterile-atmosphere-at-wexner-center-for-the-arts-puts-visitors-on-edge/

countessbranca
    Participant

I found the security measures in place a little unsettling, but understand that it was likely a negotiated requirement to host the collection.

It was odd, however, when my purse was searched I was ordered to leave my pack of gum at the front desk, but was allowed to keep several lipsticks, pens, and a small pocket knife. Oh well.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

This is ridiculous. It’s a collection of art worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Of course they’re going to have tight security.

My entire family went on the last free day, including our (rambunctious) small kids. We were able to get right up close to the art, and didn’t have any issues, or feel unwelcomed in any way.

And personally, I don’t see a problem in treating a room with 18 original Picassos with a modicum of reverence. I’d also be additionally interested in knowing what museums he’s supposedly gone to “where the works dwarf the monetary or historical value of anything the Wex has.” What a complete waste of electronic ink.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, kind of a ridiculous way to frame the article… but also an interesting perspective from the on-campus student angle. I’m sure students look at The Wexner Center differently than the rest of the city does.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Yeah, kind of a ridiculous way to frame the article… but also an interesting perspective from the on-campus student angle. I’m sure students look at The Wexner Center differently than the rest of the city does.

*sigh* Guess I’m just advancing along my way towards crotchety old man status… My first thought was “who gives a <bleep> what the students think!” :D

Coy
    Participant

While the article is a little snarky, I’d say he’s pretty much right on.
    And, I’d argue that the students opinions, since this is a facility on their campus, are the most relevant.

I can tell you that, from the student perspective in the arts, that the Wex is consistently mocked by students from all levels and arts genres as being navel gazing and overly pretentious.

I’ve been to museums all over the US and abroad (and stood much closer to more expensive works by Picasso, Van Gogh, etc), and the only places that I’ve really felt the snootiness are the Wex and the Andy Warhol museum. I think the Wex could do a lot more to make themselves more inviting, and there never will be a successful arts district on campus until they lighten up a bit.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

It was odd, however, when my purse was searched I was ordered to leave my pack of gum at the front desk, but was allowed to keep several lipsticks, pens, and a small pocket knife. Oh well.

TSA running side jobs at museums?

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I can tell you that, from the student perspective in the arts, that the Wex is consistently mocked by students from all levels and arts genres as being navel gazing and overly pretentious.

I’ve been to museums all over the US and abroad (and stood much closer to more expensive works by Picasso, Van Gogh, etc), and the only places that I’ve really felt the snootiness are the Wex and the Andy Warhol museum. I think the Wex could do a lot more to make themselves more inviting, and there never will be a successful arts district on campus until they lighten up a bit.

I accept that people feel this way but I can’t identify with it. I’ve been going to the Wex since it opened, when I was 13, and I’ve always loved it. I’ve never felt unwelcomed there or distanced from the art.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, I can’t say I’ve ever noticed much of an atmospheric difference between CMA and Wex. Staff always seems friendly enough at both.

We’ve not made it to see this new exhibition yet though.

Coy
    Participant

I just spoke to someone who has been taking students to view the exhibit and she said the complaints have been of a similar nature regarding the “sterile” environment and feel of the exhibition.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION