Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Traffic Light Removal Study in Olde Towne East

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Traffic Light Removal Study in Olde Towne East

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Residents Say Traffic Light Study Has Led To Crashes

Tuesday August 20, 2013 4:26 PM

By Ashleigh Barry

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Nearly two dozen accidents have been reported in neighborhoods that residents say are normally quiet. Now, 10TV has learned city engineers are listening. Olde Town East residents are expressing concern after they claim to have witnessed numerous accidents in the last few months along Bryden Road.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/08/20/columbus-olde-towne-east-traffic-study-complaints.html

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Typically terrible reporting by 10TV. I have no idea what’s going on here except a dog died.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Most of the removals are fine IMO. There are a few bad ones but I like them for the most part.

Also it’s peoples illiteracy and stupidity causing most of the accidents.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

The ones on Bryden are the dangerous ones. It’s like they just got rid of the lights but took NOTHING else into consideration re: crossing Bryden. They didn’t move stop lines up or parking on the corners of Bryden back. If you stop at the line/stop sign at Wilson and Bryden, and look to the right to see if you can cross, you’re looking directly into the front of a house…can’t even see onto the street. If Bryden has lots of cars parked on it, you have to pull into Bryden into the lane where cars are parked to see if anything is coming. The lights that are more inside OTE…like Oak/Ohio, etc I think will be fine if the idiots around here can figure out what blinking yellow lights mean. The visibility isn’t a problem there, but stupidity seems to be.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Another example…Bryden and Miller…the light is gone, but tell me how much of traffic you can see if you stop at this stop sign/line…

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I hate the traffic light removal –I drive Bryden all the time and I feel very unsafe at each crossing. I’ve actually seen people honking their horns at each intersection just as a precaution.

Are they actually saving that much money? Those lights have been there for at least 30 years.

Plus, it doesn’t seem to make much sense how they’ve done the right of ways. If they are putting in stop signs they at least need to make them 4 way stops.

Snarf said:
    Also it’s peoples illiteracy and stupidity causing most of the accidents.

I’m not illiterate or stupid, but I could easily envision getting in an accident at one of those corners.

EDIT: The 10TV story seems to imply that the city is thinking about changing their mind, but if you read it carefully, they’re only planning on adding a couple extra stop signs…

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Interesting. I complained about these changes a few months ago. I saw the film crew that shot this report as I was leaving our house and driving to Schiller Park to do some Actors’ Theatre work. They were either setting up or breaking down.

One reason for the driver confusion at some of these intersections is because of the poor visibility. If you are driving south on Ohio, there is a building on the north west corner of the intersection with Oak that blocks your view of Oak street. People obviously do not trust the drivers on Oak to stop at the STOP sign so they slow down as the approach the intersection. The visibility at some of these other intersections is also bad.

This is also a problem for people attempting to get onto Ohio or Champion from the alleys. In the past, you knew that traffic at the lights would stop for a minute. Now you cannot be sure. And the visibility from some of these alleys is terrible. There is no safe way to get onto the road.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

ChrisSunami said:

I’m not illiterate or stupid, but I could easily envision getting in an accident at one of those corners.

Have you gotten in an accident?

I don’t believe the leading factor in these accidents is simply poor visibility is what I’m saying – it’s carelessness.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Accidents occurred at these intersections before the changes. Accidents are possible at any intersection. Sometimes it is because of stupidity. Sometimes it is because people are not paying attention or are distracted. Sometimes it is because of environmental factors (like visibility or weather). Sometimes it is because of a combination of factors.

Some intersections have more problems than others. These intersections have special characteristics that merit having signal lights at them.

GeeDee
    Participant

One reason for the driver confusion at some of these intersections is because of the poor visibility. If you are driving south on Ohio, there is a building on the north west corner of the intersection with Oak that blocks your view of Oak street. People obviously do not trust the drivers on Oak to stop at the STOP sign so they slow down as the approach the intersection. The visibility at some of these other intersections is also bad.

This is my immediate neighborhood. I don’t find visibility to be an issue. When I slow down, it’s because I don’t trust my fellow motorists to realize changes have been made.

This is also a problem for people attempting to get onto Ohio or Champion from the alleys. In the past, you knew that traffic at the lights would stop for a minute. Now you cannot be sure. And the visibility from some of these alleys is terrible. There is no safe way to get onto the road.

“No safe way?”. My place borders an alley there & I manage to get onto Ohio & Champion with no problems. I have not seen evidence of other drivers having any problems, either.

(Although yesterday morning I was tipped off to someone driving the wrong way on South Ohio after someone else yelled, “one way street, motherfucker!!”)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: