Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

TOWED??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

jmathews5
    Participant

This past Wednesday I parked my car in German Village and walked to work. At that moment, I was thinking six different things at once and I didn’t think to look up at the signs. I leave work, walk back to my car hours later and… no car. I start to panic. I look up and read the sign and realize that it was street cleaning day.

I head over to the impound lot and a heffty $208 dollars later, I have my car. I look at my receipt which explains the monetary breakdown and realize that on there was a ‘ticketing fine’ of $50. Yes, I got ticketed AND towed.

What my problem is is that the sign says NOTHING about being towed. I also went all over the Traffic Code, Parking Violations Bureau and nothing. Why not just ticket me and clean around my car?

My question is: What differentiates between getting a parking ticket and being towed? I find it extremely unfair that the City of Columbus post these signs around town that aren’t SPECIFIC.

Do you have a similar story? If so, post it! What I’d like to do is get enough people whom agree and / or have been through similar situations so that I can present City Council with a good fight. If you know of an area that you or someone you know have been towed but there are no ‘towing’ signs, take a picture, the more proof the better! I want these signs modified appropriately.

Tigertree

I am not sure there needs to be a sign. I moved here from LA where street sweeping (and towing)occurs weekly as does towing. I have been towed a few times here for streen sweeping and bus routes. I think you should deal with it and read signs more carefully.

drew
    Participant

I suspect that damned near everyone who owns a car and lives in GV has been towed at least once… I know I have, and on street cleaning day you’ll see a line-up of tow trucks waiting to tow (and no shortage of cars that are in the tow zone). Really, it seems as if you aren’t a real GV resident until you’ve been towed, and once a month you’ll see a bunch of cars with fresh grease pencil tow lot markings on the windows. You’re in good company!

As much as it must piss you off (I know I was very upset at the time), I’d try to relax and chalk it up to experience. Still, I agree that the signs should make it clear that you will be towed.

CDS sherman

all the signs in VV that i have seen clearly say tow away zone oct thru nov 3rd weds or some shit to that effect.

Tigertree

Also make sure you get the crayon off your window asap. I have heard you’re more targeted for other things like speeding tickets with it on.

CDS sherman

or the ole DUI !!!!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

CDS sherman wrote >>
    or the ole DUI !!!!

I like your avatar/quote combination there.

Roland
    Participant

In VV, street cleaning day is no joke. They clear Neil Ave quick, fast, and in a hurry.

You just got to pay attention to where your parking. Sorry it happened to you.

futureman
    Participant

No doubt, Neil Ave street cleaning is intense. Every couple of weeks heading to work I see a fleet of tow trucks followed by street cleaners. Before hand they of course ticket the cars then have them towed. It’s one of the most well orchestrated things I’ve seen the city do.

This is the section from 5th to Campus. I’ve recently seen people post signs about when “towing day” is, but still there are plenty of cars getting towed.

CDS sherman

days like that make me wish i had a tow lot…..

CDS sherman

Manatee wrote >>

CDS sherman wrote >>
    or the ole DUI !!!!

im am the warden.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

CDS sherman wrote >>

Manatee wrote >>

CDS sherman wrote >>
    or the ole DUI !!!!

im am the warden.

I always thought that was walker.

Someone is using JailBot as their avatar too, or was, but I cannot remember who that was.

jmathews5
    Participant

‘Read the signs for more carefully’?? I’m not exactly sure how much more carefully I need to read them, they don’t mention towing, that’s the whole point of this thread, Tigertree.
    I have chalked it up. However, reading that VV has ‘towing’ in their signs, why not keep it fluid throughout each neighborhood???
    If one area specifies, why not all? See my point?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

In the years before the city got hard-nosed about this, there used to be vehicles that sat parked for years in the neighborhoods north of campus. There were old vans with weeds growing around them.

dru
    Participant

if the sign said “no parking” or had the “P” with a slash throught it, that = towing. I don’t think it needs to declare you will be towed, as no parking implies your car will not be parked here.

as a word to all of the Italian Village residents, street cleaning is this week. check your local signs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE