Our City Online

Messageboard - Sporting Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

TOSRV 2010 - Tour Of the Scioto River Valley - May 8 & 9

Home Forums Events Sporting Events TOSRV 2010 – Tour Of the Scioto River Valley – May 8 & 9

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

catnfiddle
    Participant

Anyone from the boards participating in this event? We’ll be by the side of the road, keeping an eye out for emergencies and cheering everyone along.

Lakee911
    Participant

Not this year, but I need to do it next year. I’m going cycling tomorrow for the second time in 2 summers. :( I really suck. I hope to get back in the game this season.

More info:
    http://www.tosrv.org/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSRV
    http://www.touring-ohio.com/day-trips/tosrv.html

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I’d bet money you might see a groundrules out there gettin’ his cycle on.

futureman
    Participant

I’m doing it, first time. Should be a blast with high winds and cold temperatures!

catnfiddle
    Participant

futureman wrote >>
    I’m doing it, first time. Should be a blast with high winds and cold temperatures!

Well, you know what we look like, so please feel free to stop and take a rest when you see us! Sorry I don’t know where we’ll be yet.

FADulous

If you are looking for a central ohio bikeride supporting an important cause, check this out:

http://www.tourdeh2o.org

catnfiddle
    Participant

Not at the moment. I’m talking about THIS bike ride. Thanks, though.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Wishing all the riders an awesome, safe ride this year.

jmathews5
    Participant

Ya’ll are awesome to ride with this wind… Lots of good luck !

groundrules
    Participant

osulew wrote >>
    I’d bet money you might see a groundrules out there gettin’ his cycle on.

taking the year off. my crew, and hence the fun, kinda dissolved this year.

Lakee911
    Participant

Good year for a break! It is brrrr this morning! Wind sucks too.

catnfiddle
    Participant

The wind where Rockmastermike and I were volunteering was about 30 with gusts up to 55! The cyclists were amazing, smiling and waving at us. Hoping for more serene for their ride back north tomorrow.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

If anyone wants to build a windfarm, you might want to look into the Yellowbud area. It has never NOT been windy there all the times I’ve been there (surprisingly often actually). Something about the topography just funnels the wind in.

Which means that today it was simply brutal. Constant, pounding wind coming over the fields with nothing to stop it. Hard enough to make standing difficult during gusts. Hard enough to rock a parked car around.

Anyone who made it to the end this year is seriously hardcore. Heck, I’m deeply impressed with everyone who could even make it to Chillicothe today in this hurricane.

futureman
    Participant

catnfiddle wrote >>

futureman wrote >>

Well, you know what we look like, so please feel free to stop and take a rest when you see us! Sorry I don’t know where we’ll be yet.

Where did you end up going? I was kind of obvious to my surroundings during the windy sections.

TOSRV was rather painful (221 miles round trip, I did the full tour). Columbus to Chillicothe hands down the worst section, everything after that was actually enjoyable. The winds were actually blowing the saliva out of my mouth! Thankfully the winds were hitting us from the side, head on it would have been horrendous. To make matters worse, I was riding with people who had touring bikes, so they were really slow. I broke out on my own through pretty much the whole time and the windy areas going solo were was very tiring.

Unfortunately on the way back the winds did return and again Columbus/Chillicothe/Circleville was pretty bad, but better than Saturday.

I will say, for the money TOSRV is a hell of a bargain. Tons of food at every stop, having the HAM Radio and First aid crews every couple of miles was reassuring. Not sure if I’ll do the full TOSRV next year, but they do offer half TOSRV where you ride from Chillicothe to Portsmouth which sounds fun (not the windy sections!!). Off to find some Advil.

ETA: Oh and I saw Mayor Coleman at Portsmouth, looked like he at least did the half TOSRV.

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

My hat is off to anyone who did both days. I rode from Chillicothe to the park in Portsmouth and then back to “Chili” on Saturday and it took me more than 6.5 hours. I got to Portsmouth at noon and so being ahead of the masses meant I rode solo virtually the entire way. I am an active bike racer and put in a lot of miles year-round, and I thought Saturday was very tough. The Higbee road detour seemed to significantly lengthen the normally short Chillicothe-Waverly leg. Once I turned around and headed back North I saw the throngs coming in. There were an awful lot of tired riders destined to arrive in Portsmouth fairly late in the afternoon. Side winds are tough to draft. Only a limited number of riders can protect themeselves from the wind by drafting behind and to the side of the rider ahead. Echeloning, as it’s called, requires a bit more skill than most riders on TOSRV possess. It’s also easier to crash when riders are bunched together with gusty side-winds. I didn’t see any and hope there were none.
    There was very good Sheriff’s assistance on Saturday. A lady with Kentucky plates in a minivan buzzed me very close and within seconds a Sheriff’s deputy came by me with it’s lights ablaze and pulled the lady over. I found out later she had buzzed a group of riders behind me too. Nice to, for once, flash the thought “wish a cop could have seen that and lo and behold, a police officer was around when you wanted one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Sporting Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: