Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tora Japanese restaurant in Gahanna opened

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Tora Japanese restaurant in Gahanna opened

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Quick review…
    We had dinner reservations tonight, and although there were a few minor issues…for the most part we came away with a positive experience.
    They’ve only been open for a week, and it shows in the wait staff who seem unfamiliar with the menu. The husband ordered the Omikase (Chef’s choice) sashimi (which was on the menu) and then proceeded to explain to the waiter what we wanted in plain English. Not to imply the service was bad, it wasn’t, just perhaps not as familiar with the menu as one would hope.
    Speaking of…both drink and food menu was rather overwhelming. Each page came with a full color page of accompanying photos, which on the one hand is probably helpful to those unfamiliar with Asian cuisine, makes you feel like you’re flipping through the Aeneid looking for food.
    BUT! The food is marvelous. We shared everything ordered, and the wagyu, though not 100% certain is the real deal is still well prepared and very tasty, there is significant difference in their wagyu and the average cut of beef. This is definitely a dish I would order again. The Omikase platter blew us away. The husband has pics that I hope will do the platter justice, but I’ve got to say, the quality of fish that was prepared and presented was some of the best quality I’ve had in Columbus. Gorgeous presentation, high quality fish, ’nuff said.
    The desserts are a bit pedestrian, but tasty. If you aren’t expecting an in house pastry chef, you’ll be well satisfied with the offerings. I went with the fried ice cream, and the husband the fried bananas, I preferred mine, as it was a bit less sweet, but we finished both, which is a testament to their tasty composition.

One last thing…it is located in the midst of a strip mall, and…well…many of our fellow diners were probably a bit more familiar with the area. We were surprised to find families with children under 10 in the dining area considering the menu (though extensive) is not readily kid friendly.

Overall, I’d say Tora has what it takes to make me break my five mile radius rule (I like to stay within 5 miles of our home when working, dining, and drinking when possible) and turn Gahanna into a travel destination. :)

DavidF
    Participant

And that’s just what I needed to hear. Tora, here I come.

patient_zero
    Participant

mrsgeedeck wrote >>
    Quick review…

They’ve only been open for a week, and it shows in the wait staff who seem unfamiliar with the menu.
    Speaking of…both drink and food menu was rather overwhelming.
    BUT! The food is marvelous. The Omikase platter blew us away. I’ve got to say, the quality of fish that was prepared and presented was some of the best quality I’ve had in Columbus.

Overall, I’d say Tora has what it takes to make me break my five mile radius rule:)

Thanks to the geedecks for boldly venturing into a new restaurant on their anniversary on opening week. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your dinners on such a special night. Once servers get on board with the War and Peace-sized menu with photos, they will be able to provide you with the service you deserve. I’m looking forward to Mr’s pictures as well.

geedeck
    Participant

So here’s the Omikase: http://twitpic.com/uo6lx

It’s very pretty, but a bit intimidating. Fortunately the hostess came out when PSA-type info was needed without being asked, and I give that a big thumbs up, for both explaining the chef’s choice and the sake samplers we had.

The food was great, though I really do think the menu needs a bit of a taming. It’s huge, no joke. Like the appetizers menu is the size of the entire Surly Girl menu. I just don’t know how sure I feel that the chefs can maintain quality over that many different things, and you get the same reading fatigue from the Cheesecake Factory’s menu. The sashimi cuts were easily some of the best I’ve had, the freshness of the fish was unmistakable and just flat out isn’t something that can be faked. Here’s to hoping the quality can be maintained.

That said, man the space. It’s nicely done but there’s a bit of putting lipstick on a pig in terms of being in a strip mall, and you can see pretty much the whole space upon walking in. I find that weird/uncomfortable. I just know that when I’m eating sushi, I want a small, enclosed quiet area. That might just be me though. I do think it’s going to face an identity crisis. I mean we were there dressed up, but then there’s a kid running by in his sneakers, jeans and starter jacket and at the other end of the restaurant some girl with her family has broken out into an impromptu tap dance. Maybe the key is just to go later (9pm+) if you have low kid tolerance like I?

I know this a lot of negative, but mrsgeedeck covered the high points well and I stand by those too… Just had to note some concerns. Good times and reasonable prices in the end, and space that while isn’t perfect, definitely isn’t neglectful either.

PS. Don’t trust google when trying to find 1330 Hamilton Rd. It places the location way the heck off at the corner of Hamilton and Johnstown Rd, so just aim for the SE corner of Morse and Hamilton instead

patient_zero
    Participant

That is just whimsically beautiful. http://twitpic.com/uo6lx

There are Morimoto influences no question, but Chef Kim has added his twist to the Omikase. I like his style. It looks like Mr. Lee spent some big bucks on the dishes and glassware as well.

One would think that Jeans and tennis shoes in a finer dining establishment would be unacceptable, and just maybe parents would rein in their kids as well when there are other guests in the restaurant.

I hope they post a website soon, because the Aeneid is a good Winter read.

DavidF
    Participant

Looks lovely, and just down the street from me. This could get ugly.

timeflies
    Participant

patient_zero wrote >>
    That is just whimsically beautiful. http://twitpic.com/uo6lx
    There are Morimoto influences no question, but Chef Kim has added his twist to the Omikase. I like his style. It looks like Mr. Lee spent some big bucks on the dishes and glassware as well.
    One would think that Jeans and tennis shoes in a finer dining establishment would be unacceptable, and just maybe parents would rein in their kids as well when there are other guests in the restaurant.
    I hope they post a website soon, because the Aeneid is a good Winter read.

They do have a website. It is http://restauranttora.com. Their website is pretty cool and you can view all the menus, photos, and etc.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE